We have detected that you are blocking our advertisers. We pay our operational bills with advertising and donations. Please add Mopar1973Man.Com to your whitelist of sites on your adblocker. If you register as a member and submit a donation to the website, the advertising amount is reduced the more you donate. 

whitelist.png

This will allow you to keep you adblocker turned on for other sites and allow to display advertising here. Thank you, for understanding and whitelisting Mopar1973Man.Com. This will allow us to continue providing quality Cummins diesel information to everyone for free!

• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Mopar1973Man

Older vehicles beware - Ignition switch

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I want to bring up something that happened to me. Now last night a friend showed up with one of his friends and we started talking shop, trucks and diesel be exact Cummins in a Ford. Of course I open the hood on both the 2002 and 1996 Dodge let this other guy preview the trucks. After it was all said and done it was getting late the guys packed up and left. I went out and locked up both trucks and had to roll up the windows on the 1996 Dodge. Went in for the night. Got this morning hauled some trash down to the trash can and hear faint music playing to me it sounded like across the road from me. Disregarded the music being its Jet Boat Race weekends figure people are parting somewhere. Fast Forward. Still hearing the music and walked a package down to the mailbox but didn't hear the music come back up and realized its the 1996 Dodge was the source. Unlocked the door and sure enough, the ignition switch was in ACC position and the key was there. So that means last night when I reached in and turn the ignition on to roll up the windows and turn the key to OFF i managed to pull the key out in the ACC position and the radio played all night long and half of today. 

Funny part the truck started right up. 

So be aware of your ignition switch and make sure you get it turned OFF after your done in the truck. 

I could do the same thing in my old 1/2 ton. Didn't need the key for ignition.  Kinda scary.  Glad you caught it sooner than too late.

L8tr

D

• Like 1

I had a 1980 Toyota 4x4 that the key would fall out if the truck bounced around.  It was really annoying trying to climb a steep hill, key falls out, and of course the truck had a random habit of shutting off after too much playing around.  Ignition won't move either way without the key so I have to stand on brakes while girlfriend unbuckles and hunts for the keys under the seat so I can restart the dang thing to back down the hill. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sycostang67 said:

I have to stand on brakes while girlfriend unbuckles and hunts for the keys under the seat so I can restart the dang thing to back down the hill

I would replace an ignition switch way before it got that bad. 

Interesting I can do this in my truck in any position even with the engine running thanks to my father,  not sure how he managed to break it but hey I can go to the store leave the truck running locked with the keys in my pocket :)

I ran one of keys for 16 years to the point I could take it out of the switch while the truck was running. The key was thin and cuts were rounded off. I got the other key that came with it and started using it and it will not come out of switch while running. Seems to me the key and switch wear both wear out.