Jump to content
  • Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

     

    Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...
     

    • Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

leety

NEED HELP! Engine cold, but Coolant Temperature gauge Pegged with Error Codes

Recommended Posts

I started up my truck today, it's in a dead-cold been-parked state.

 

I got a check engine light, the check gauges warning text light came on and immediately my temperature gauge pegged.  The engine is cold!

 

I check codes with the key turn method I get:  P1693 followed by P0118.  I pull more codes with my ODB2 reader and get P0118  & P0116

 

I tested the temperature sensor for ohms.  

 

Room temp, about 70 degrees, I get 8.6k ohms

Cold water from the fridge I get 19.3k 

Boiling water I get 700 ohms

 

It's doing something but not sure if it's doing that something right or not.

 

I tested the connector with the key on and I get a nice 5v reading

I checked the blue ground wire at the connector for ground at the block and get zero ohms.

 

The pins are good in the sensor and the connectors are clean at the harness connector.

 

Any suggestions would be welcome.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, leety said:

I started up my truck today, it's in a dead-cold been-parked state.

 

I got a check engine light, the check gauges warning text light came on and immediately my temperature gauge pegged.  The engine is cold!

 

I check codes with the key turn method I get:  P1693 followed by P0118.  I pull more codes with my ODB2 reader and get P0118  & P0116

 

I tested the temperature sensor for ohms.  

 

Room temp, about 70 degrees, I get 8.6k ohms

Cold water from the fridge I get 19.3k 

Boiling water I get 700 ohms

 

It's doing something but not sure if it's doing that something right or not.

 

I tested the connector with the key on and I get a nice 5v reading

I checked the blue ground wire at the connector for ground at the block and get zero ohms.

 

The pins are good in the sensor and the connectors are clean at the harness connector.

 

Any suggestions would be welcome.

 

 

Make sure your battery cables are tight. I had mine come loose and made the gauges go crazy and the check gauges light came on. Also it might be a thermostat going out but I don’t know that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Typically it because the coolant sensor lead is unplugged. Double check the coolant sensor right near the thermostat housing for good connection. Use a live data tool and see what the value the ECM is seeing. 

 

Remember sensor ground is not body ground.

 

Basically, the ECM creates 5V signal and sense the voltage on the same connection. So the ground side of the sensor is the negative side of that 5V circuit. This why I say that sensor ground is not body ground. This is also why sensor are 2 or 3 wire and provide the separate ground because it's not part of the 12V system at all.

 

Part image

 

If you look back in time to the older vehicles the older dodge vehicles had 1 wire temperature sensors because the ground of the sensor was part of the 12V system. Even though the older vehicles still used a modified low voltage signal. 

 

Part image

 

2002-Dodge-Wiring-Pg3.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Make sure your battery cables are tight. I had mine come loose and made the gauges go crazy and the check gauges light came on. Also it might be a thermostat going out but I don’t know that. 

Thermostat is new.  Battery terminals are also new and solid as can be.

 

 

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically it because the coolant sensor lead is unplugged. Double check the coolant sensor right near the thermostat housing for good connection. Use a live data tool and see what the value the ECM is seeing. 

 

Remember sensor ground is not body ground.

  

Basically, the ECM creates 5V signal and sense the voltage on the same connection. So the ground side of the sensor is the negative side of that 5V circuit. This why I say that sensor ground is not body ground. This is also why sensor are 2 or 3 wire and provide the separate ground because it's not part of the 12V system at all.

 

If you look back in time to the older vehicles the older dodge vehicles had 1 wire temperature sensors because the ground of the sensor was part of the 12V system. Even though the older vehicles still used a modified low voltage signal. 

Good to know thank you.

It appears to have a good connection but I'll push a pin in the connections tomorrow and see if I can learn something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything odd about how the truck runs?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See if this helps.

You don't have a DRBIII(R) , your multimeter (VMO) will work.

 

8 hours ago, leety said:

I'll push a pin in the connections tomorrow and see if I can learn something.

Be careful not to distort the connector terminals when putting pins into them that's why they say to back probe them.   

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IBMobile said:

See if this helps.

You don't have a DRBIII(R) , your multimeter (VMO) will work.

 

Be careful not to distort the connector terminals when putting pins into them that's why they say to back probe them.   

 

Can you recommend a DRBIII

6 hours ago, dripley said:

Anything odd about how the truck runs?

It starts as normal, but that's a great question.  Haven't driven it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, leety said:

It starts as normal, but that's a great question.  Haven't driven it yet.

 

The only time I had that issue was when my ECM took a dive. But I would expect to see many more codes and the truck behaving badly, maybe undrivable. It does not sound like that's your problem, you would notice some of that at idle.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leety said:

Can you recommend a DRBIII

12 hours ago, dripley said:

The DRBIII is the tool the dealer would use to diagnose problems with. They are quite expensive unless you can find a good deal on used one. But even then they are pricey from what I have seen like in the 2k to 3k range. A good DRBII code reader will suffice for most of the problems we encounter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes @dripley right about the DBRIII being a dealer item but a good OBDII code reader with live data capability will work along with your volt ohm multimeter .  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2018 at 9:53 PM, IBMobile said:

Yes @dripley right about the DBRIII being a dealer item but a good OBDII code reader with live data capability will work along with your volt ohm multimeter .  

 

That's where my OBDLink LX shines the best. I can leave the ignition key on engine off grab my cell phone lay it on the valve cover and monitor signals while I test for sensor issues. Corded OBDII tools suck because now you can't watch the display with you wiggle wires or test anything. I very very rarely ever use my corded tools any longer because of the cord limitation which isn't long enough to even make it outside the cab. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

That's where my OBDLink LX shines the best. I can leave the ignition key on engine off grab my cell phone lay it on the valve cover and monitor signals while I test for sensor issues. Corded OBDII tools suck because now you can't watch the display with you wiggle wires or test anything. I very very rarely ever use my corded tools any longer because of the cord limitation which isn't long enough to even make it outside the cab. 

Which one do you use?  I have a blue driver but I need to learn more about how to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, leety said:

Which one do you use?

 

OBDLink LX is the dongle I've got. 

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

 

I've used both the OBDLink App and Dash Command (Palmer Performance). I prefer the Palmer Performance being it does auto connect properly where the OBDLink app doesn't you manual have to remember to reconnect each time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

OBDLink LX is the dongle I've got. 

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

 

I've used both the OBDLink App and Dash Command (Palmer Performance). I prefer the Palmer Performance being it does auto connect properly where the OBDLink app doesn't you manual have to remember to reconnect each time. 

Good to know.  I don't use Andriod or have a windows machine at this point.  I'll have to see how far I can get with the Blue Driver I guess.  To check codes the engine has to be running is that true of the tools you use as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, leety said:

Which one do you use?  I have a blue driver but I need to learn more about how to use it.

I have the blue driver as well. It works just fine, should suffice for anything you need to look at. It pulls codes just as any other scanner would do, the live option is what is impressive. You can watch up to 5 different gauges at once, and it logs/saves the data which you can throw in excel or what ever you want to. As long as your Bluetooth is on, it connects automatically. I personally would become more familiar with your current blue driver versus buying another scanner. However that is the limit of this tool, you can read/pull codes and data, but you cant actually change any vehicle parameters as you would with much more expensive scan tools.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, leety said:

I don't use Andriod or have a windows machine at this point.

 

I don't have a Windows PC either... Strictly Linux and Android.

 

18 minutes ago, leety said:

To check codes the engine has to be running

 

No. Just key on. The Live Data yes needs the vehicle driven or running. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 12:00 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

 

OBDLink LX is the dongle I've got. 

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

 

I've used both the OBDLink App and Dash Command (Palmer Performance). I prefer the Palmer Performance being it does auto connect properly where the OBDLink app doesn't you manual have to remember to reconnect each time. 

Any idea why Palmer Performance App needs permissions to access my phones identity, location, my photos,Media,& files, Device ID & call information? WTF kind of big brother app needs all that personal info to read OBDII info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sprpilot said:

Any idea why Palmer Performance App needs permissions to access my phones identity, location, my photos,Media,& files, Device ID & call information? WTF kind of big brother app needs all that personal info to read OBDII info?

Lol, those in need already know everything about you and everyone else, it's just there this world is heading 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Lol, those in need already know everything about you and everyone else, it's just there this world is heading 

 

I gave up on being paranoid... Few reasons first off there is enough manpower to track everyone. Then if the tracking is so good then why can't they track down criminals? I've got all my address and phone numbers out on the internet. Still to this day everyone still asks me for my mailing address or my phone number when it's on every single page here. :duh: Go ahead and track me...

 

Funny part by the time I get home the cellphone is nothing more than electronic brick. No cell phone signal, canyon walls screw with the GPS and not accurate even my GPS in the truck is goofy here. WiFi location reports me way off the mark. Even attempting to track my IP shows weird locations. Heck MoparMom and I both use the Life360 app to track each other. She can send me a message saying hey your need X store can you pick up Y.

 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

I gave up on being paranoid... Few reasons first off there is enough manpower to track everyone. Then if the tracking is so good then why can't they track down criminals? I've got all my address and phone numbers out on the internet. Still to this day everyone still asks me for my mailing address or my phone number when it's on every single page here. :duh: Go ahead and track me...

 

Funny part by the time I get home the cellphone is nothing more than electronic brick. No cell phone signal, canyon walls screw with the GPS and not accurate even my GPS in the truck is goofy here. WiFi location reports me way off the mark. Even attempting to track my IP shows weird locations. Heck MoparMom and I both use the Life360 app to track each other. She can send me a message saying hey your need X store can you pick up Y.

 

I hear what your saying, but the question still remains as to why this app wants to access your phone call logs to read OBDII data, or know your location. I can see accessing your file storage system so it can store it's own files, but the rest is BS. And by getting used to agreeing to all these apps wanting to know our business we are being programmed more and more every day to give up more and more of our right to privacy. IMO

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sprpilot said:

I hear what your saying, but the question still remains as to why this app wants to access your phone call logs to read OBDII data, or know your location. I can see accessing your file storage system so it can store it's own files, but the rest is BS. And by getting used to agreeing to all these apps wanting to know our business we are being programmed more and more every day to give up more and more of our right to privacy. IMO

Very true.

 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

I gave up on being paranoid... Few reasons first off there is enough manpower to track everyone. Then if the tracking is so good then why can't they track down criminals? I've got all my address and phone numbers out on the internet. Still to this day everyone still asks me for my mailing address or my phone number when it's on every single page here. :duh: Go ahead and track me...

 

Funny part by the time I get home the cellphone is nothing more than electronic brick. No cell phone signal, canyon walls screw with the GPS and not accurate even my GPS in the truck is goofy here. WiFi location reports me way off the mark. Even attempting to track my IP shows weird locations. Heck MoparMom and I both use the Life360 app to track each other. She can send me a message saying hey your need X store can you pick up Y.

 

Also very true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sprpilot said:

I hear what your saying, but the question still remains as to why this app wants to access your phone call logs to read OBDII data, or know your location. I can see accessing your file storage system so it can store it's own files, but the rest is BS. And by getting used to agreeing to all these apps wanting to know our business we are being programmed more and more every day to give up more and more of our right to privacy. IMO

 

That part is designed by the Linux structure if you an Android user. iPhone is a similar structure. Here with my Linux PC and Android Phone, you have to give permission to access particular information or modify data. For example, I want to change a configure file on my PC I have to provide a ROOT password to allow the system to alter that file. The same thing is true for Android but it assumed the user is the ROOT user and you already unlocked the phone so it left to a yes or no question. Being that on a cell phone the amount of RAM and storage is very limited most functions are stack up so yes you might be giving up call information so you can actually have one function the program requires. PC is a bit more granular permissions because of larger storage and more RAM to work with. 

 

The only thing I can say is find another app that asks less of the phone for permissions but you'll end up finding out the software is extremely limited and functions are missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someday everyone will have to decide for themselves where to draw the line, you either will be part of it or not and it will be very difficult to go through life for those that will choose not to be part of it. Hard to explain but it's already happening slowly. Those that know what I'm talking about, know what I'm talking about. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Those that know what I'm talking about, know what I'm talking about. 

And those that dont, don't :)

 

L8tr

D

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×