• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

grid heater delete

14 hours ago, Shaun Carr--Gildea said:

What is the best way to delete the grid heater and do the wiring to not get any codes? I live in northern CA so I don't need them and I have a big stereo system so I want to eliminate the extra draw on the alternator and battery's. thanks

Just curious, but what makes you think you dont need them?  Or are you after airflow gain?

• Like 1

• Owner
11 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

but what makes you think you dont need them?

Waterford CA. I really doubt he'll see freezing temperatures around San Francisco / Modesto area. 

11 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

Or are you after airflow gain?

Now I know the answer here. There isn't much to gain here for air flow difference for a stock or mild modified truck. The only reason I could give is the AC noise issue for a disconnect. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
2 hours ago, Shaun Carr--Gildea said:

I live in CA and it doesn't get cold enough here to need them and I was looking to lower the AMP draw on the alternator and battery's

The amp draw is only while they are being used, and won't exceed 2 minutes after startup. 

But you are correct that you likely won't need them. I reprogrammed mine and they don't even come on until it's below freezing now vs the 66° OEM temperature. 

I am about to go pull mine out for the summer and put my spacer in. 

Hmmm.....  I also live in CA, but I feel the service the grid heater system provides is worth keeping it intact.  That it unless you live where the ambient temperatures never dip below 60*.

Just because your truck starts in cold temperatures without the grid heater doesnt mean a functioning grid heater isnt helping reduce fuel wash and injector buildup while the intake temperatures are down.  Just thinking out loud. :thumbup2:

• Like 1

I like to start my truck and walk in the house to put my shoes on when its cooler outside.  (Yes, "cooler" is perspective to where you live)

Nonetheless, this mere couple minutes of idle time gives the oil the opportunity to move fully about the engine, and makes my truck clearly happier when driving away.  Without the grid heater working I would know that there is nothing to help optimize combustion, and would give me reason for concern.  But hey...to each is own, right?

• Like 2

Is a grid heat needed if the crankcase heater is used, I live in so calif. High desert,  My truck had the heater delete just a spacer, I sold it and put the heater back in. and I run the crankcase heater on a timer and is only activated if it gets below 32 degrees. Seem under those condition the grid heater is minimal.