• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trail Guide Tires/Mastercraft AXT

• Owner
1 hour ago, Collinst15 said:

Tire size is a 285/76/16 if that makes a difference.

I would suggest going back to stock size or smaller. 338k miles on the factory OEM tierod ends, 185k miles on ball joints, steering box 340k miles still could of reused it but I damaged the cap threads. Like I just got a bid for my 1996 Dodge and be getting 245/75 R16 for around $600. My last batch of Hankook ATm 235/85 R16 I paid around $700 for the set. So big tire look cool but do more damage to the front suspension and steering and tires cost much more.

• Owner

Going to 285's is pushing the gear ratio lower to 3.44 from 3.55. This adds more torque trapping to the transmission and EGT's temperatures. Just showing the effect of 1mm change of tire height 235's is 1 mm taller than 265's tire that changes the 3.55 gears to 3.54 gears. Changing to the other stock (labeled tire) 245/75 R16 with push the ratio up to 3.69. Small tire changes can make a big change in the final gear ratio. 

Thanks for the explanation.  I am looking into 265s but will be traveling a lot this year with truck.  Big trip this summer from NY to KY to WI to NY so want a good tire that will not wear super fast.  Id be okay with going with a 245 but truck sits so high in rear it would look goofy with a 30 inch tire so i think 265s or 285s are it unless I go to a bigger rim size. 

Thanks,

Tim

• Owner
23 hours ago, Collinst15 said:

Thanks for the explanation.  I am looking into 265s but will be traveling a lot this year with truck.  Big trip this summer from NY to KY to WI to NY so want a good tire that will not wear super fast.  Id be okay with going with a 245 but truck sits so high in rear it would look goofy with a 30 inch tire so i think 265s or 285s are it unless I go to a bigger rim size. 

Thanks,

Tim

151811149543279110933.jpg20180209_082730.jpg

That's a 235/85 R16... Same only 1mm taller than the 265 but 1.1 inches narrower. 245/75 R16 is a 1 inch shorter where the 285 is 1 inch taller.

• Owner

Yes Sir. I lost my factory 16x8 aluminum wheels which cracked. Then the other set of modular aluminum wheels I had the offset kept slinging road salt and mud on the side windows. Got tired of that... The Factory 16x7 steel wheel fit the 235/85 R16 properly and tucked the wheel back under the fender where they belong.

Remember I'm rolling 60k miles a year...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Seeing you running 235/85 R16s (31 inch tall) got me thinking

The original owner of my truck put the Alcoa style /Eagle alloys (that I like) on my truck that I am still running,

Couple spare rims and tires guy I bought my truck gave me that were sitting next to his garage

My question is does this rim look like factory dodge truck rims that might of came with my truck

(check out the vintage Armstrong TrueTrac at the right)

IMG_1376_1.jpg

My spare tire rim on my truck when I got it has slots

IMG_1378_1.jpg

Edited by GSP7