• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replaced steering box and pump now it’s not workin.

Hello, I replaced my steering box and pump last night (Both bought through NAPA reman since I’m broke and get a discount through work) and hooked everything up as it was before. I then had the front tires off the ground and turned the tires back and forth about 20 times. Then started the truck and did the same thing. Everything felt smooth so I put the truck on the ground and turned the steering wheel and everything seemed fine. I went to back out the driveway and as soon as I hit my brakes I lost everything. So I muscled the truck around the block and back into the driveway. (Its 2am by this point) So this morning I jacked up the truck and proceeded to do the same thing turning the wheels blah blah. And I still have nothing. Brakes are very hard to press. Is it possible that the hydro boost gave out as well? I’m lost and can’t get this figured out. It is my only ride so I kinda need it working again before Monday morning. So any help would be very appreciated! Thank y’all so much ahead of time!! 

• Owner

Point is that the ports or holes in the valves of both the steering box and hydrobooster are very small. It doesn't take very much metal debris to plug up the small ports. Not so much as hoses as taking the hydrobooster off and blowing out ports backwards hoping to clear any debris. If not you'll be getting a seal kit so you can break it down to clean it out.

This why there is a big yellow warning tag on Blue Top steering boxes stating you must flush the system BEFORE installing because debris can plug the steering box.

Just an update I found the problem and it was a bad Reman from NAPA like CTcummins24v had stated. I went and reved up the truck and it turned with one finger. Called Napa and got a replacement. Put it in and now all is well for the time being with the old 2nd gen. Thank y’all for the help! 

Edited by BigBlock0322