• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3rd or 4th Gen upgraded steering linkage? SAFETY RECALL (page two))

Has anyone done this swap to a 2nd Gen 01 Dodge 3500? I mean from the whole thing from tie rod to tie rods and bars.  If so, did it work with simplicity or did you have to ream the knuckles out and get a different stabilizer set up?

Thanks again!

Edited by JAG1

I just did it this past weekend on my '01 2500. Didn't need any tie rod reaming, it dropped right in. I got all ACDelco parts off RockAuto, they are pretty stout. There shouldn't be anything different from a 2500 to a 3500.

I have not done but have always heard that you have cut part of the studs off of the rod ends to clear the the stock 16" wheels. That or use 17" wheels. Just what I have read from other members here.

• Owner

Like myself, I cleared 338k miles on the OEM tierod ends. Done another set of NAPA OEM styled tierod end most likely go to 600k miles before I do it again. Nothing to gain for me unless you can prove that heavy duty tierods will go more than 300k miles. 

Also still continues to prove anyone with oversized tires are just killing their front suspension. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dripley said:

I have not done but have always heard that you have cut part of the studs off of the rod ends to clear the the stock 16" wheels. That or use 17" wheels. Just what I have read from other members here.

So you heard I can not use my stock rims? Dang!

1 hour ago, 82dodge331 said:

I just did it this past weekend on my '01 2500. Didn't need any tie rod reaming, it dropped right in. I got all ACDelco parts off RockAuto, they are pretty stout. There shouldn't be anything different from a 2500 to a 3500.

Did you use your stock tires and rims??

42 minutes ago, mopar440cu said:

So you heard I can not use my stock rims? Dang

I am NOT saying you can't use them. The folks that have have had to shave off some of the stud for the tie rod ends will work. That is on 2500's. It is most likely a bit different on a dully rim. I believe they are narrower which might make it easier. 

• Thanks 1

With your 01 it’d be a simple drop in. @dripley is right in that you’ll need to grind down the very tops of the threaded end if you still have the OEM wheels on. If you have aftermarket 16in wheels they SHOULD be offset enough to alleviate the need to trim them, but double check prior to running down the road at least.

• Thanks 1

What part numbers did you guys use, in previous threads it mentions something about using an upgrade kit from Mopar that Rock Auto sells.

Edit, I'm guessing was talking about a t Style vs y Style

Edited by Dieselfuture

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I got the 2009-2010 steering linkage on the 01 3500, but there had to be a slight modification. I had to cut 1/4" off each side of the drag link where they thread into the adjustment sleeve in order to adjust the steering wheel. I just did it on my band saw, but I am sure it can be done with a grinder and a cut off wheel with a steady hand. It threaded right back into the adjustment sleeve like it was meant to be. LOL Other than that the tie rods went right in with no problems. I also replaced the track bar with a 3rd Gen SSI bracket and SSI adjustable track bar because of the leveling kit installed. I have not installed a steering dampener yet and don't think I will because it doesn't need it. I tried it on rough country roads and it was fine at all speeds.

Now my impression on this purchase, I have to say it was well worth it. This 3500 has never steered better. I had the Lukes Links on it and got tired of adjusting them. If I had to do it again I would just get this kit, but that's my opinion.

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dmaney said:

That's awesome! Definitely looks more robust than the original equipment.  When mine get bad I will definitely be looking into this setup. How do you like that adjustable track bar?

It’s very nice and let me get my axle back where it should be. Rides much better.

• Owner
13 hours ago, Dmaney said:

That's awesome! Definitely looks more robust than the original equipment.  When mine get bad I will definitely be looking into this setup. How do you like that adjustable track bar?

Might look better but I wonder if it can exceed OEM lifespan. Mine went 334k miles on the OEM drag link and tie rod ends. Let's see if it holds up to the test of time. 

On 5/25/2018 at 10:15 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Might look better but I wonder if it can exceed OEM lifespan. Mine went 334k miles on the OEM drag link and tie rod ends. Let's see if it holds up to the test of time. 

Are the 4th Gen guys plagued with the front end issues our trucks are? Engineering changes to these trucks are usually done for a reason, like why they went to adjustable track bars and steering components beefed up. Our OEM parts aren't that bad but I do believe there is always room for improvement.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...