We have detected that you are blocking our advertisers. We pay our operational bills with advertising and donations. Please add Mopar1973Man.Com to your whitelist of sites on your adblocker. If you register as a member and submit a donation to the website, the advertising amount is reduced the more you donate. 

whitelist.png

This will allow you to keep you adblocker turned on for other sites and allow to display advertising here. Thank you, for understanding and whitelisting Mopar1973Man.Com. This will allow us to continue providing quality Cummins diesel information to everyone for free!

• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

mopar440cu

3rd or 4th Gen upgraded steering linkage?

Has anyone done this swap to a 2nd Gen 01 Dodge 3500? I mean from the whole thing from tie rod to tie rods and bars.  If so, did it work with simplicity or did you have to ream the knuckles out and get a different stabilizer set up?

Thanks again!

I just did it this past weekend on my '01 2500. Didn't need any tie rod reaming, it dropped right in. I got all ACDelco parts off RockAuto, they are pretty stout. There shouldn't be anything different from a 2500 to a 3500.

I have not done but have always heard that you have cut part of the studs off of the rod ends to clear the the stock 16" wheels. That or use 17" wheels. Just what I have read from other members here.

Like myself, I cleared 338k miles on the OEM tierod ends. Done another set of NAPA OEM styled tierod end most likely go to 600k miles before I do it again. Nothing to gain for me unless you can prove that heavy duty tierods will go more than 300k miles. 

Also still continues to prove anyone with oversized tires are just killing their front suspension. 

28 minutes ago, dripley said:

I have not done but have always heard that you have cut part of the studs off of the rod ends to clear the the stock 16" wheels. That or use 17" wheels. Just what I have read from other members here.

So you heard I can not use my stock rims? Dang!

1 hour ago, 82dodge331 said:

I just did it this past weekend on my '01 2500. Didn't need any tie rod reaming, it dropped right in. I got all ACDelco parts off RockAuto, they are pretty stout. There shouldn't be anything different from a 2500 to a 3500.

Did you use your stock tires and rims??

42 minutes ago, mopar440cu said:

So you heard I can not use my stock rims? Dang

I am NOT saying you can't use them. The folks that have have had to shave off some of the stud for the tie rod ends will work. That is on 2500's. It is most likely a bit different on a dully rim. I believe they are narrower which might make it easier. 

• Thanks 1

With your 01 it’d be a simple drop in. @dripley is right in that you’ll need to grind down the very tops of the threaded end if you still have the OEM wheels on. If you have aftermarket 16in wheels they SHOULD be offset enough to alleviate the need to trim them, but double check prior to running down the road at least.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

What part numbers did you guys use, in previous threads it mentions something about using an upgrade kit from Mopar that Rock Auto sells.

Edit, I'm guessing was talking about a t Style vs y Style

Edited by Dieselfuture

Curious how this works on a dually, when mine wears out someday probably look into it. There isn't much price difference between stock and the 4th Gen setup is there?