• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4x4 spin free locking hub spindle kits

Does anyone have a 4x4 locking /free hub/spindle kit on their truck?

A guy's dodge truck in the shop has the yukon free spin kit installed.

He said he gets better fuel mileage and he can feel the difference driving around

I always thought about installing one of these kits. Cant remember what brand I was looking at

• Staff

I have the Yukon kit, as does my dad on his 06. 

Mileage gains were negligable, but I spend most my time towing/hauling so a 5-10% gain is harder to see. 

It does feel much better driving around as the steering wheel takes noticably less effort. I can tell when I've left the hubs locked just by the steering wheel feel. 

I paid around $1500 for mine and installed them myself. Considering the cost of replacement sealed wheel bearings it's not that bad, and I can service them. 

I did my first service last summer at about 30K miles. Everything still looked new. 

2Lo is also a very handy feature. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 6:20 PM, AH64ID said:

did my first service last summer at about 30K miles. Everything still looked new

Does it use common bearings or is it special, I think I'm almost due for front hubs and kinda considering going free spin. What about abs stuff is it all incorporated. 

Yukon has kits listed '99 and older , different kit for  2000 up trucks

Is 2000 the first year for front abs?

Glad my 99 doesnt have front abs.

Is there anyway to delete/disable all the front abs junk on the 2000 and up trucks?

• Staff

There are tone rings on the wheel hubs for 4 wheel ABS in 2000+ trucks. Yukon is not compatible with 4 wheel abs for 94-99. 

The bearings, seals, and even lockouts are all Dana 60 standard. The stub axles are Dana 60 but with more splines, so the the lockouts also are slightly different. 35 spline stuff is petty common these days thou. 

Why would you want want to disable front ABS

• Owner
9 hours ago, GSP7 said:

Is there anyway to delete/disable all the front abs junk on the 2000 and up trucks?

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

Why would you want want to disable front ABS?

Might be because he's running oversized tires (285's) and the ABS computer has never been updated with the proper rev/mile so the system could work as its designed. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Might be because he's running oversized tires (285's) and the ABS computer has never been updated with the proper rev/mile so the system could work as its designed. 

Waight a minute here, are you saying if my computer is flashed for one size tire and I'm using another, then abs/brake light will come on periodically

• Owner

Possibly. Yes. 

All depends on how the speed signals are read and what 3 values your have from the 2 front and 1 rear sensor and how far off the signals might be plus on the automatics there is the output speed sensor that could be used too. (Not sure but possible.)

For me it only 1 rev/mile different for 235 to 265 rev/mile difference.

265 (638) and 285 (615) there is a 23 rev/mile difference.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

If all 4 tires are the same it is very very unlikely that oversized tires will throw a code. The ABS module may not know the actual speed you're going but it won't know that. 

AFIK the trans sensor isn't used for speedo/ABS but rather for shifting, so it too shouldn't care. 

• Owner
28 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

AFIK the trans sensor isn't used for speedo/ABS but rather for shifting, so it too shouldn't care. 

Just like I found out that the Battery Temperature Sensor is used for the grid heater post-heating. Strange but true. Being the speed sensor is stored in the PCM it could be shared by the CCD Network bus. Possibly used... Maybe? :shrug:

• 2 months later...

So I wanted to revive this for a minute. I am wondering why no one has come up with a conversion that replaces the carrier bearing spindle with a spindle that uses a conventional, rebuildable bearing and finishes the conversion with parts we can scavenge at the junk yard or already have? There's a Ford f250 rotting in a field in a town just a few miles from me, has the ttb 50 front axle as the guy wants next to nothing for it. Maybe I'll drive out there this weekend and tow it home for the sake of tearing it down and seeing what can be done. 

I don't think I'll be doing anything with the cad except maybe a manual kit since I don't have the computer to lock/unlock like you guys do. I'm mostly after eliminating the unit bearing and adding some hubs to reduce rotating mass

Sure but there has to be something to tell the vacuum when to apply/not apply. This usually takes a button and a transfer case control module. In any event I don't have vacuum, I ditched the dodge style power steering pump in favor of a pump that moves enough fluid to run hydraulic equipment when I need it.