• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Remaned ECM took out vp44?

Little background to leading up to this past week.  Had the P0237 and P0112 codes with the original ECM.  Replaced the MAP Sensor and IAT sensor first.  Cleaned the grounds. Still had issues. Hooked it to a snap on code reader and could watch the voltage drop out to the sensors. Ordered an ECM from the number one place on the list here. Installed it. Great for 150 miles. Then got a buck and lost all throttle response.  Then it came back, bucked again and then threw the P1689 code for no communication between the ECM and IP.  While at the shop they went through everything using insight.  Pump was dead. New pump installed. Same issue. No communication.  Wiring checks out. But they are saying that the ECM could have been repaired inproperly and took out the electronics on the VP

They did that.  Old VP wouldn’t run. New one runs like a new one should bypassing the ECM.  I can’t get a call back from the ECM rebuilder to address the issue.  They are pushing the point that the rebuilt ECM took out the VP.  I know anything is possible.  But didn’t know if anyone else might have had the sameness issue 

I’m hoping they get back to me. The VP is replaced already but they are waiting on an ECM from the corporate office so they don’t damage the new VP.  I’d hate to have to go after the builder legally but sometimes you have to go that route

I have never heard of that happening myself. I guess I would have the same question as to how the ECM could take out the VP.  I guess anything is possible though. Proving might be a different animal. 

• Staff

Bap, while you are making an investment into this truck for future I want to advise you to install a new TIMBO apps. Im not saying factory apps is causing the issue, but more likely than an ECM that your shop is saying. Especially since the Timbo is so much more reliable and half the cost of the factory APPS, it goes hand in hand with a new injection pump.

• Like 2

• Owner
10 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Bap, while you are making an investment into this truck for future I want to advise you

There is so much stuff we could open up with that comment snip. Like the ground wire mod. Timbo's Apps. So many other modifications that should be done to these trucks to make them bulletproof and last forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

There is so much stuff we could open up with that comment snip. Like the ground wire mod. Timbo's Apps. So many other modifications that should be done to these trucks to make them bulletproof and last forever.

Interesting to see what mods are most bullet proof for 2nd gens.  Maybe different post?

Edited by 015point9

• Staff

I mentioned the Timbo because anything needed future wise anyway, helps narrow down what might be wrong. If a shop told me the ECM may have taken out the VP.... I might be thinking about taking my truck somewhere else at that point.

Edited by JAG1

I understand the possibilities are low. I’ve been an electrician for almost 20 yrs and I’ve seen electricity do some weird things. But I also don’t know how they can run a full ecm test without a truck. When I first put the ecm in the truck it threw 9 codes.  1689, 0521, 0230, 0380, 0382, 0118, 0113, 0122, and 1693.  That right there seems to point that all those codes were not part of the final test.  When you send an ecm back for a core, you are required to fill out a form stating all the known issues of the ecm.  The shop that it is at is one of the best in the area. They are approved by bosche to remanufacture VP pumps.  I sat there Friday and watched the truck run fine with the ecm out of the equation.  

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

............. If a shop told me the ECM may have taken out the VP.... I might be thinking about taking my truck somewhere else at that point.

Agreed

1 hour ago, bap371981 said:

ECM rebuilder isn’t returning any of my calls or replying to any of the emails.  

Who is the rebuilder?

Edited by GSP7

• Staff

Bap, start checking the ECM harness connection and the VP connection. Look at all the pins/ connection points closely, that all look the same nothing distorted. Make sure clicked all the way in.

Check for clean electrical connections on battery posts, everywhere you can.  

I went through all that before I had it towed to the shop.  The ecm is definitely the issue.  We even went as far as checking harness with a meggar.  That would definitely tell if there was any issue with the wires.  All the pins looked like new. You could see marks on the pins from the harness. My old ecm communicates with the new VP just has issues because of the 0112 and 0237 but that’s the only issues with that.  I told them it will run if you put the tune in it from the smarty but that’s against the rules at the shop.  They have a couple of ecms at the corporate office that are going to be there Monday.  So hopefully I have my truck back

• Like 1