• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bulletproof mods

Mods that I have that benefit my 2nd gen...

Gauges

Fuel pressure with led light

Egt 

Trans

Fuel system half inch, air dog set at 19 psi

Deep dish trans pan

For the future...

Latest mod to wiring (Not sure of name)

Trans rebuilt (this summer?)

Going to check/fix killer dowel pin

Pull out dent mom in law gave me.

Towing mirrors

What are your bulletproof mods?

9 hours ago, 015point9 said:

Mods that I have that benefit my 2nd gen...

Gauges

Fuel pressure with led light

Egt 

Trans

Fuel system half inch, air dog set at 19 psi

Deep dish trans pan

For the future...

Latest mod to wiring (Not sure of name)

Trans rebuilt (this summer?)

Going to check/fix killer dowel pin

Pull out dent mom in law gave me.

Towing mirrors

What are your bulletproof mods?

Fass 150 half in lines

2 stroke in fuel

Future mods:

Either Qaud Adrenaline Or Xzt.

Thats it! :lmao:

Edited by Marcus2000monster

gauges

EGT

boost

fuel pressure

tranny temp

AD lift pump w/1/2" lines. used relay to get pump power off ECM

BHAF

2 stroke. not a mod but it sure makes a difference. 224k on current VP

@W-T's ground and charging mod. 

Power steering flush w/ magnefine in line filter

Just installed trans temp guage to see if I will benefit from fast coolers while towing this summer.  

Would like to try an adjustable track bar

Definitely need to check into that ground

and charging mod.

• Owner

2 cycle oil in the fuel for Injection pump life.

235/85 R16 tires for the front suspension life.

Exhaust brake for brake life.

Ground mod for the electrical and electronics performance.

AirDog / FASS for injection pump life.

ISSPro Gauges for warning protection.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

235/85 R16 tires for the front suspension life.

This was a simple mod for me and cost less than the stock tires but watch this...

35 to 37 inch tires. Now the list of upgrades that you should do to handle the larger tires. 

Steering box brace to keep the stress off the output shaft from the larger tires.

Heavy duty T steering to upgrade from the factory Y steering. 

Adjustable track bar if not upgrade to 3rd gen style track bar that is adjustable. 

Long control arms to correct the geometry of the front axle after the lift /leveling kit to fit the tires.

Upgraded shocks and steering dampener help prevent death wobble common with most oversized tires.

Upgraded steering gear box (Blue Top or Redhead in slow ratio to reduce stress on the steering box)

3rd Gen brakes to stop all that rotational mass of the larger tires.

Axle gear change to get the final ratio corrected for oversized tires. (Final gear ratio 3.55 to 3.73 to the ground)

Upgrade the transmission (Automatics) to hold up to the added stress that oversized tires produce on the transmission.

Upgraded clutch (manual) same here might consider a dual disc to hold the torque demands.

So I made one change from 265/75 R16 to 235/85 R16 dropped the aluminum wheels 16x8 for factory 16x7 steel wheels and tires cost me much less but all the front suspension lasted MUCH longer. 

185k OEM ball joints

340k OEM tie rod ends

150k miles OEM track bar, 180k miles on NAPA  track bar

340k Steering gear box. Upgrade to Blue Top because of rust issues. 

180k OEM brakes

300k Rear caliper (rust issues)

Still running... 16 years later and 341k miles on the clock.

OEM Rotors

OEM Power Steering pump

OEM front Calipers

Never had a death wobble issue.

Just food to think on... 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

2 cycle oil in fuel 1:128

Magnifine in line power steering/hydro boost fluid filter 

ECM protection with fuel pump relay (for backup lift pump)

Fuel Boss pump

Edge EZ

Mystery switch with brake pedal disengagement  

Electrical system ground modification

BHAF with heat shield

4" exhaust

RV275 injectors

manual boost controller

fuel pressure, boost, transmission and exhaust temperature gauges

Everything you do to your truck that is not a stock (factory type) replacement or repair is a modification and will void the factory warranty.:nono: 

• Staff

The only things I've done;

Trans Temp and fuel pressure gauges.

Mag Hytech Trans pan..

IBM's Mystery switch

ECM housing battery ground.

Timbo Apps.

Vented fuel cap.

Tank access plate in bed (not recommended).

Greasable lower ball joints.

Heavier PCM ground to firewall.

Vulcan big line kit, draw straw and frame mounted lift pump / relay

2 stroke in every tank.

Future mods

W-T,s grounding mods.

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Dripley forgot the chicken roticerie over his exhaust manifold. Even got a 'Chicken Done' gauge on the dash.

Actually it is just one of those pop up things like you in the grocery store birds to let ya know they are done. Just reload after every chicken.

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Oh... I can't resist...

Dripley even got a built-in trough for routing the chicken grease to the fuel tank. Biodiesel anyone? :lmao2::lmao:

My truck and I like that bio blend. Runs even quieter than just the 2 stroke. Damn stuff getting expensive though so I don't run as much here lately. 

But now when I stop for fuel, I just sell a few chickens to pay for it. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Oh thats too good:lmao::lmao:

Oh yeah!! This is as much fun as screaming beavers and wood.:lmao2:

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Owner
52 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Everything you do to your truck that is not a stock (factory type) replacement or repair is a modification and will void the factory warranty.:nono:

I became my own warranty station back in 2004 (51k miles) when I gave Dodge Dealer Tech the middle finger and refused to take the in-tank lift pump. Since then I've studied and made proper replacements to extend the life span of the truck. Which I would say I've done quite well. That's my big focus everything I do is to extended the lifespan of the truck. Cool factor is meaningless to me...

7 minutes ago, dripley said:

But now when I stop for fuel, I just sell a few chickens to pay for it. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

:lmao2::lmao:

Damn stuff getting expensive though so I don't run as much here lately. 

Yeah I've got access to B5 over in Ontario, OR but heading for $3.50 a gallon is getting steep. I'm still capable of getting petroleum for $3.299 in Idaho.

Oh yeah!! This is as much fun as screaming bearers and wood.:lmao2:

It's about that time to break out the twins and the Big Tex go fire up the screaming beavers... Firewood pile is getting well rather small...

Seriously. Back on topic. It about being able to deal with the weak links and upgrade properly.

There is a lot of hype for some upgrades and mods which typically have no value for daily drivers. Like cold air intakes, updated intake horn, 4 or 5 inch exhaust. These mods for stock to mildly upgrade HP these don't have any effect on power or efficiency. I'm strictly talking daily driving no towing here.

Now everything beyond daily driving changes the requirements and what upgrades to do. This is why the signature line is handy for us to look at and make a proper suggestion based on what you plan on doing and typically task for the truck. Like currently I'm a majority highway runner now, low amount of towing but it will occur. Now there is other members here that have different goals and purpose for their trucks. Like some have welding equipment on the back adding weight. Some tow on a daily bases like @cajflynn did turning 1.3 million miles on a 2nd Gen truck. Still, it comes back to getting an understanding of the purpose of the truck and modifying to keep the wear of parts down. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1