• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering wheel radio controls

I just put steering wheel radio controls in my truck. They plugged right into my clock spring, but don’t seem to be working. Do I need to get my PCM flashed like I did for high idle?  Has anyone else gotten them to work?  Do I need the dash harness also?  Thanks for any help you guys can offer. 

• Owner

You need a High Line Central Timer. The central timer receives the steering wheel control then pipes the commands out over the CCD network to the factory stereo. If you have an aftermarket radio this will not work. Then typically the high line central timer had the head seats and steering wheel controls then the Infinity Stereo setup too where the front stereo speaker had the amp and there the a-pillar had the tweeter. 

Central Timer Module wiring map 1999 Dodge Ram

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Basically the computer in the cab that handles the steering wheel control. The stereo controls sent back different voltages that the central timer converts into digital signals on the CCD network then the factory stereo is hooked to the CCD network and receives the data for volume and tuner controls.

18 hours ago, ecurnes8888 said:

I have an Axxess ASWC-1

Won't work... Has to be a factor stereo to work. Again it got be able to communicate with the central timer on the CCD network.

ccd.jpg

This is an 05’, are you talking about the computer in the dash?  Can I get the one out of the truck I got the controls from so it would at least work with the factory stereo?  I see your diagram says left side of dash, but I have no idea what I’m looking for or exactly where.  The computer I see inside is the airbag controller center dash floorboard. 

Edited by ecurnes8888

• Owner

Now that I'm at home and at a computer. I was on my cellphone all day. (Sorry about that...) I guess this a new thing to me to see a steering wheel control interface. 

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/ASWC-1?Year=2005&Make=Dodge&Model=Ram+2500

Beyond that I've got no idea... Never seen or played with anything like this. All I can say is buy and try it. :shrug: I'm going to have to admit I'm green to this and never heard of anyone using this before. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now that I'm at home and at a computer. I was on my cellphone all day. (Sorry about that...) I guess this a new thing to me to see a steering wheel control interface. 

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/ASWC-1?Year=2005&Make=Dodge&Model=Ram+2500

Beyond that I've got no idea... Never seen or played with anything like this. All I can say is buy and try it. :shrug: I'm going to have to admit I'm green to this and never heard of anyone using this before. 

I’ve actually already installed it, it recongnizes that it’s wired correctly, it recognizes the radio, but doesn’t recognize the vehicle. I’m thinking I need the dash wiring harness but have no idea really. 

But as always I really appreciate your help. 

Edited by ecurnes8888

• Owner

I'm not sure about 3rd Gen what is in the dash for stereo controls. If the truck didn't have the controls in the first place it might be missing the wiring and computer module receiver for the controls. At least 2nd gen you would have to change out the dash harness and the high line central timer. Again I don't know what 3rd gen have for this control. 

11 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm not sure about 3rd Gen what is in the dash for stereo controls. If the truck didn't have the controls in the first place it might be missing the wiring and computer module receiver for the controls. At least 2nd gen you would have to change out the dash harness and the high line central timer. Again I don't know what 3rd gen have for this control. 

So the only computers in a 3rd gen are the PCM (left side of block), ABS Controller (left corner of firewall), and Airbag Controller (in dash sitting on transmission hump). For the wiring I believe all dash wiring harnesses are the same mine even has hook ups for manual transmission parts. I’m thinking I need to have my PCM flashed but I don’t know I’m only presuming this. I’m really looking for someone that’s done this, even just

gotten it to work with the factory stereo. 

1 hour ago, Killer223 said:

a reputable stereo shop can't help you with this? 

No because it didn’t come factory with my truck. If it had come factory with my truck they all recommend using the ASWC-1 which I already have. 

On 5/10/2018 at 6:50 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Not sure how familiar you are with the 3rd gens, but do you think it could have something to do with my gauge cluster? I have heard elsewhere that the gauge cluster actually acts as a BCM. Maybe you know someone on here that has some experience with this?