• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can 400 hp be made on a stock HX35 turbo without EGT issues? Still trying to decide on my power goals lol. I’d like to be able to tow fairly heavy and have a fun daily driver. I don’t want to mess with new turbos so what is the max on my HX? 

Edited by Marcus2000monster

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

There is a lot off different factors that will change this number. Gears, tires, injectors, actual max boost, etc. This why it's at least a good point of reference to figure out how much power you can create.

I wish there was a way to calculate hp without a dyno. What I don’t want to do is push my Hx to hard. What’s the max safe boost level for longevity? 28 32? 

What is going to feel more powerful if the max hp on the HX35 is 350 per say. A Qaud set to kill or an EZ Or XZT?

Edited by Marcus2000monster

• Owner

HX35W will safely do 35 PSI for the life of the truck.

3 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

What is going to feel more powerful if the max hp on the HX35 is 350 per say.

Just like you answered yourself...

4 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

A Qaud set to kill

CanBus tuners are just that. Wiretap is a whole different animal. Being I drove a full year without a wiretap on a Quadzilla if feels well like a Edge EZ or Smarty S-03. Which is pretty mild. Now wiretap kicks in the tires start to breaking loose. Now your jumping from 60 HP tuner to 180 HP tuner and pouring the fuel at the engine. It might be short burst but boy the power difference is very different. 

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

HX35W will safely do 35 PSI for the life of the truck.

Just like you answered yourself...

CanBus tuners are just that. Wiretap is a whole different animal. Being I drove a full year without a wiretap on a Quadzilla if feels well like a Edge EZ or Smarty S-03. Which is pretty mild. Now wiretap kicks in the tires start to breaking loose. Now your jumping from 60 HP tuner to 180 HP tuner and pouring the fuel at the engine. It might be short burst but boy the power difference is very different. 

Hmm this is interesting. So 350HP is a safe guess for a Qaud HX35 and 7x00.85s? 

• Owner

I would say more than 350 HP. If you get there you'll understand the power difference is WAY different. In my design of power I've got plenty of power on tap, I would gamble a guess closer to 400 HP being my boost gauge can snap upwards of 42-43 PS then settle just above 40 PSI. The only difference is I'm using that HX35/40 Hybrid. The exhaust side is the same as your HX35W same turbine and housing technically the 35 PSI limit still holds true. The compressor is HX40 which is upgraded from the 54mm wheel to the 60 mm wheel. Flows more air. The only thing I need this power for is passing other vehicles so 2-5 second burst over the turbos limits EGT's rise quickly but it gets the job done. Are there better setups? Yes. Will it cost more money? Yes. Do I have the money? Absolutely Not.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would say more than 350 HP. If you get there you'll understand the power difference is WAY different. In my design of power I've got plenty of power on tap, I would gamble a guess closer to 400 HP being my boost gauge can snap upwards of 42-43 PS then settle just above 40 PSI. The only difference is I'm using that HX35/40 Hybrid. The exhaust side is the same as your HX35W same turbine and housing technically the 35 PSI limit still holds true. The compressor is HX40 which is upgraded from the 54mm wheel to the 60 mm wheel. Flows more air. The only thing I need this power for is passing other vehicles so 2-5 second burst over the turbos limits EGT's rise quickly but it gets the job done. Are there better setups? Yes. Will it cost more money? Yes. Do I have the money? Absolutely Not.

Exactly the same here. I’m not interested in upgrading my turbo I only ant what I can get out of my HX35. As soon as I can squeeze a check out of my financially struggling boss I’m going to order a Qaud 

• Owner

Turbo wise as the drive pressure rises above your boost pressure that's when EGT's jump. Knowing this you can exceed it for short spans for like a passing burst to gain the speed but then back out the EGT's fall quick. Again for my purpose, it works well but not optimal. 

• Like 1

I am definitely not the expert here but for the money and versatility the Quad would have been my choice had it been available when I bought my Comp. Even if you don't use the Quad to its full capability it is worth the money. Then later if you want you can add a new turbo, bigger injectors, or whatever if desired. I consider the Quad as the foundation to any building blocks you wish to add. Nothing wrong with starting small and having room to build up.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The exhaust side is the same as your HX35W same turbine and housing technically the 35 PSI limit still holds true.

The 35 psi limit is dictated by the compressor map.  Turbine housing and wheel dictate your choke point.  IF Holset made a compressor map for a 35/40 hybrid, then you could get an idea of what your turbo can do.

• Thanks 1

It was advertised as quicker spoiling at the time I bought it. I never noticed much difference myself. Came with a package of things. I did not not know jack about this kind of stuff back then. 

This was with stock injectors. The 50's i have now spool it a vit quicker but they are smokey.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

The beauty of smaller injectors and a box is you can always turn the box down and rely just on injectors and stay cool. I'm running 50hp injectors and quad xzt and it is all I need for anything. Soon to put my edge comp back on because the xzt make my truck run rough with either the 1000 or 2000 tune. 350hp is plenty

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

The beauty of smaller injectors and a box is you can always turn the box down and rely just on injectors and stay cool. I'm running 50hp injectors and quad xzt and it is all I need for anything. Soon to put my edge comp back on because the xzt make my truck run rough with either the 1000 or 2000 tune. 350hp is plenty

Currently my truck is pretty doggy on just the sticks. My thinking is that it’s just the way a SO responds to injectors.

• Owner
51 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Currently my truck is pretty doggy on just the sticks. My thinking is that it’s just the way a SO responds to injectors.

No timing. No fuel management. No boost fooling. What do you expect?

Mine is no different it doggy and slow even with +75HP injectors and no Quadzilla. Really smoke on launches. Still laggy... 

Now plug the Quadzilla in I've got a timing curve to enhance spooling, fuel management to get the turbo to spool not spew black smoke. Then boost fooler so you can exceed 19 PSI of boost. Then if you want to go farther just turn on a level 4 and above now you got a wiretap and even more fuel.  Still, even with all this, I've got no real smoke. Maybe a haze and puff. 

No matter what you'll need something for fuel management and timing management. 

Canned tuner like Edge and Smarty are very limited and not designed for setup beyond stock really. They do give some adjustments for fuel management (for smoke control). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1