• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need help deciding on what color to paint the truck

I have a 2001 ram 2500 sport edition that's currently red. I've been considering having it repainted due to the clear coat peeling on the hood and roof. 
I like the look of the red color but I absolutely love the forest green color. I also intend on bed lining the bottom part to prevent rock chips and I'm trying to find some pictures 

of the 2 colors with a black bed liner and cannot find any. This is my truck color right now and i'm leaning more towards the green sport look. 

Does anybody have any pictures of what i'm looking for or have any thoughts? I don't want to be a cop magnet but I want to have a nice looking truck, I'm just not sure how the bed liner will look on the red color.

28378536_2023224767694936_1557113854561878016_o.jpg

03.24.jpg

20 minutes ago, Sycostang67 said:

If you go green, will have the door jambs and underside of the hood all repainted as well?  It would be easier to stick with the current color, but I can understand wanting a change.  I found some pics.

Thanks, yeah would be gutting the truck and would have everything repainted when it comes to that time. I plan on completely restoring the truck from the ground up, powdercoating suspension parts and having the frame painted as well. Pretty much a 100% restoration when it's done.  

• Like 1

• Owner

I've already talked to my local body shop about the same thing. Changing the color of my 1996 Dodge Ram. Like her warned me you'll have to basically disassemble the truck to get all the old red color covered which cost much more to do. Sticking with the stock / factory color makes it much easier and cheaper to do a paint job and make the truck look right. Something about opening the door on a used truck and find blue door jamb on the driver side, red door jamb on the passenger side and the truck is painted brown.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've already talked to my local body shop about the same thing. Changing the color of my 1996 Dodge Ram. Like her warned me you'll have to basically disassemble the truck to get all the old red color covered which cost much more to do. Sticking with the stock / factory color makes it much easier and cheaper to do a paint job and make the truck look right. Something about opening the door on a used truck and find blue door jamb on the driver side, red door jamb on the passenger side and the truck is painted brown.

Shoot, wouldn't take a lot lot more to get the cab torn down. 

2 hours ago, NorthernDodge said:

I would say stick with red, but the only green color I'm even close to liking is olive drab. If you want something more toned down how about the slightly darker metallic red?

maxresdefault (2).jpg

IMG_20160619_150211684_HDR.jpg

I'm actually really liking that metallic red! Thanks for the suggestion

30738883_2079792392038173_684920775450296320_o.jpg

From what some other people were saying. Bedlining the bottom half of the truck will retain moisture and cause the truck to rust underneath without knowing. Anybody know if that's true or not?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cronus577 said:

From what some other people were saying. Bedlining the bottom half of the truck will retain moisture and cause the truck to rust underneath without knowing. Anybody know if that's true or not?

With how many trucks have bedliner in the box without issue I would assume that if you prep it properly and put some good primer on it that you shouldn't have any issues, but I could be wrong. 

• Owner
25 minutes ago, NorthernDodge said:

With how many trucks have bedliner in the box without issue I would assume that if you prep it properly and put some good primer on it that you shouldn't have any issues, but I could be wrong. 

I've got a plastic bed liner in both trucks and it has not caused me any grief at all. No rust yet. 

1 hour ago, Royal Squire said:

You could get a second truck and have one red and one green. 

I've got a silver 99 with compounds, stock 2001 24v in red and another stock 2001 in blue. I think I'm okay for now!

On 5/9/2018 at 9:03 PM, Cronus577 said:

Shoot, wouldn't take a lot lot more to get the cab torn down. 

I'm actually really liking that metallic red! Thanks for the suggestion

30738883_2079792392038173_684920775450296320_o.jpg

There is a lot that can be done to same color paint to tweak it. 

This is how the neighbor paints his dump trucks.  

Its like the Swedish chef from the muppets mixing paint up. Kinda funny and cool. 

He’ll have the base color.  Then will go rifling through the paint cabinet and come back all giddy. 

All of his dump trucks are the same color at a distance but up close each has specific differences.  Pretty neat. 

Yes.  Bedliner on rockers can be conducive for rust.  A pinhole can develope, allow moisture in then developed rust behind.  Best thing is you don’t know. 

Point in case.   My old truck.  70177172-E75F-49B5-B2D2-19CF58C0AA0C.jpeg.cded847552c042469c4f9d006ae1fddd.jpeg

B3E91B17-359E-45BA-9208-C8397C0C9201.jpeg.77fdc223773cda480a8b465bcf09900f.jpeg

80F8726A-4468-4C03-AA31-FC792DEA263A.jpeg.b133a21eea200b9bbe70c571e0516894.jpeg

I had it fixed and painted in flat black.  I could deal with rock chips and having it reshot every few years. At least I knew what was going on. 

5D505DBA-5DD9-4A3C-81FA-5358CFBFB43F.jpeg.e26dd4fabad5bd0840e9c742c81a1bdf.jpeg

That being said living in a warm climate you may not have that issue.  They don’t salt the roads there. 

I had no issues with bed but it’s not subject to the same as rockers.