• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Last weekend I replaced the crankshaft seal on my front cover as well as installing a wear sleeve. I followed the procedures that were on the Thoroughbred Diesel YouTube Channel. I used the wear sleeve installation tool and the crank seal installation tool. Used Permatex to seal the front cover after installation. I've started to notice fresh oil on my sway bar and steering components after driving. The bottom front bolts of the oil pan had small amounts of oil on them as well. I can't seem to tell if the leak is coming from the oil pan and that the gasket needs to be replaced or if its coming from somewhere else. The tappet cover looks good from what I can see and I retorqed the bolts to 18ft/lbs on the oil pan. Still no luck! Any thoughts or ideas on where else I should check? I cleaned everything up real good but can't seem to stop this leak. It never leaked from this spot before until after I changed the crankseal.

It amazes me how much oil can get blown around under the hood. When my tappet cover was leaking it appeared I had oil leaking from all sides. Replaced the gasket and I was dry for a good while. A while later and it seemed to be starting over. Front crank seal and timing cover helped but the vacuum pump was doing its best to spread oil also. Oil pan gasket is my last issue for oil right now I hope.

• Like 1

Well got home and pulled the harmonic damper off and it looks like it’s slowly leaking from the bottom of the front cover. Almost as if I didn’t get enough rtv on there. So I cleaned it up real good and tried to reseal it from the outside. I know this isn’t the “right way” to do it but I really don’t want to have to pull that damn cover off again. I’ve got to have this rig ready to pick up my 32’ TT on Saturday. 

Also after closer inspection I probably should replace tappet cover seal and rebuild the vacuum pump. 

Edited by BurtNasty

8 hours ago, BurtNasty said:

Well got home and pulled the harmonic damper off and it looks like it’s slowly leaking from the bottom of the front cover. Almost as if I didn’t get enough rtv on there. So I cleaned it up real good and tried to reseal it from the outside. I know this isn’t the “right way” to do it but I really don’t want to have to pull that damn cover off again. I’ve got to have this rig ready to pick up my 32’ TT on Saturday. 

Also after closer inspection I probably should replace tappet cover seal and rebuild the vacuum pump. 

When I did my timing cover I also had a little weeping from the case itself where it meets the block. I had pressure washed it real good before removing the cover and then sealed it from the outside as best I could anyway and it seems to holding for now any. The vacuum pump was easy to do. I did it @Mopar1973Man's way and left the power steering pump connected and under the hood. That way I did not have to open that system up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dripley said:

When I did my timing cover I also had a little weeping from the case itself where it meets the block. I had pressure washed it real good before removing the cover and then sealed it from the outside as best I could anyway and it seems to holding for now any. The vacuum pump was easy to do. I did it @Mopar1973Man's way and left the power steering pump connected and under the hood. That way I did not have to open that system up. 

Is there a thread that has the method that @Mopar1973Man used? I used the search tool and searched google but didn't see anything. I know Thoroughbred and Goulds have a walkthrough but both of those methods involve removing the pump.

Here it is. Be careful putting the pump back on. With the coupling lined up it should slip back on. Do not use the bolts to pull it up tight. I got lucky and it slipped on first time.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2