• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P1291 With grid heats disconnected

• Staff

I've been starting the engine with the grid heaters disconnected for 6 weeks with morning temps ranging from 28°-55°F with just a little white smoke and a loping idle for about 30 seconds.   This afternoon, after my wife drove it this morning, the check engine light was on.  I scanned the system with an OBD code reader and fond this, P1291 No temp rise from intake heaters. 

Monitor & Set Conditions

Temperature rise from intake air heaters is monitored for first 15 seconds of engine operation. DTC may be stored if initial Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor reading is 0-66°F (-17.8 to 18.8°C), Battery Temperature Sensor (BTS) and IAT sensor are within 10°F of each other, time between end of preheat and engine run state is less than 30 seconds, engine is cranked for less than 5 seconds before engine starts, preheat is completed before engine starts, post-heat is active and no IAT sensor or intake air heater relay DTCs exist.

This shows that a code, under the right temp conditions, can still be set with the ECM still closing the rely but the main power to the grids disconnected from the battery.  

15 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I've been starting the engine with the grid heaters disconnected for 6 weeks with morning temps ranging from 28°-55°F with just a little white smoke and a loping idle for about 30 seconds.   This afternoon, after my wife drove it this morning, the check engine light was on.  I scanned the system with an OBD code reader and fond this, P1291 No temp rise from intake heaters. 

Monitor & Set Conditions

Temperature rise from intake air heaters is monitored for first 15 seconds of engine operation. DTC may be stored if initial Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor reading is 0-66°F (-17.8 to 18.8°C), Battery Temperature Sensor (BTS) and IAT sensor are within 10°F of each other, time between end of preheat and engine run state is less than 30 seconds, engine is cranked for less than 5 seconds before engine starts, preheat is completed before engine starts, post-heat is active and no IAT sensor or intake air heater relay DTCs exist.

This shows that a code, under the right temp conditions, can still be set with the ECM still closing the rely but the main power to the grids disconnected from the battery.  

Very interesting. Mine are disconnected and we don't get much cold weather down. I have started with temps in the 30's with no code. Probably like @Mopar1973Man suggested. Non CA truck & newer.

L8tr

D

• Owner

I have had my grid heaters disconnected since December 2017. If the temperatures were lower than 32*F I would plug in the block heater hour before leaving. Then all day long with the temperature between ZERO and +20*F I would just start and go. The block still would have residual warm and start easy but never thrown a code or had a starting issue. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/18/2018 at 6:09 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Difference in of ECM software. Like my 2002 does not trip the P1291 code like your truck. It could be difference in California software too. Like my truck is federal software.

This is gotta be it right on the money @Mopar1973Man Literally the only "emissions" component on these trucks was the grid heaters so it would make sense for the CA trucks to throw that code where others wont

When smogging these in CA they look for evidence of pump tap, intake/exhaust, smoke or snap test, and grid heaters. Thats it.

Edited by 2000Ram2500
ca smog