• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power Steering Pump

Hopefully replacing my power steering pump tomorrow. There is a threaded pressure line at the bottom of the pump and then I think 2 return lines to the pump from the booster and gearbox. If they are both return lines, does it matter which stub the hoses are attached to on the pump? I was reading IBMobiles filter article and I may have my return lines crossed, but in theory it shouldn't matter. I also have a filter on the line coming from the booster to the pump where IBMobile has it on the line from the gearbox? 

8 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

Defective NAPA reman pump off, new Borgeson pump on and I have complete power steering at idle and power brakes! 

Interesting.  At 215,000 miles on my truck  I replaced the original power steering pump even though it was still working.  I replaced it with the Boregeson pump.  The Borgeson pump had started making a very minor noise under certain conditions a few months ago and it failed suddenly and completely at just under 75,000 miles later.  I now have a Napa remanufactured pump on the truck.  It will be interesting to see how long it will last. 

I was disappointed in the short life of the Borgeson pump.

How many miles did you get out of your Napa pump?

- John

Edited by Tractorman

9 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

I was disappointed in the short life of the Borgeson pump

I have 442k on my oe pump and keep waiting for it to explode. It is a touch weak and shows that at idle every so often. Probably ought to just replace. I believe I got my moneys worth out of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tractorman said:

Interesting.  At 215,000 miles on my truck  I replaced the original power steering pump even though it was still working.  I replaced it with the Boregeson pump.  The Borgeson pump had started making a very minor noise under certain conditions a few months ago and it failed suddenly and completely at just under 75,000 miles later.  I now have a Napa remanufactured pump on the truck.  It will be interesting to see how long it will last. 

I was disappointed in the short life of the Borgeson pump.

How many miles did you get out of your Napa pump?

- John

Defective out of the box

• 2 weeks later...

On topic but a different vehicle. I just replaced the power steering pump on a 96 K 2500 Suburban about a week ago. How it all started,  had a leaky pressure line. So I put a new line, on filled the reserve with oil, fired up the truck, oil level drop maybe an inch, added to the top because I knew it was going to take more, started to turn wheels back and forth, got some more air out. Check fluid it was a normal operating range, so I figured I'll crank it back and forth few times just to be sure, went one way fine, went the other and pump made a lot of noise and quit pumping. I figured it was done for, went and got a new one from orielys, been working fine ever since.

Still not quite sure what went wrong, maybe it had a air pocket someplace and got hot, just weird how it work for 10-15 minutes and then it crapped.

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2018 at 9:29 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Bingo. Sludge is really hard on pumps and will cause it to break to thick in viscosity small shaft can't handle the load. I'm going to have the oldest power steering pump that is OE.

Still have mine 452k.