• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cummins mistake

Guest 04Mach1

Guest 04Mach1

This is the 3rd common rail I have built recently with this Cummins error. This is a late 2007 5.9 backed by a 6 speed manual. Notice the rod orientation upon dis-assembly. The rods are backwards. This engine only had 190k miles and had not been opened up on the bottom end since new. Engine failed due to broken rings on cylinders 1 and 4 caused by failed injectors. Truck is a 1 owner since new that knows complete history. I've also attached service instructions direct from Cummins Quickserve. Figured I would post for the Common Rail folks.

MVIMG_20180501_151444.jpg

Screenshot_20180520-093927.png

Screenshot_20180520-093823.png

How it is assembled now.

MVIMG_20180518_135356.jpg

MVIMG_20180518_135406.jpg

Edited by 04Mach1

• Owner
4 hours ago, 04Mach1 said:

The rods are backwards. This engine only had 190k miles and had not been opened up on the bottom end since new.

You mean to say the engine is manufactured this way from Cummins? Wow! What happened to the QA of Cummins for the 3rd Gens?

Also added this to the 3rd Gen Article database so it not lost! Thank you for the information!

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Guest 04Mach1

Yes... I have found three 5.9 ISB engines like this. All 3 we're 2007 model year. I guess assemblers got confused with the switch to the 6.7 mid year.

Guest 04Mach1

Well I was gonna get the engine installed yesterday but had a 2013 KW with an ISX15 that had a dead accelerator pedal. After tearing most of the dash apart I found 2 broken wires in the dash harness.

Any way took about 3 hrs this morning to get it installed. She purrs now with all 6 fresh Cummins OEM injectors.

Guest 04Mach1

Not sure either since the 6.7 has the same rotation as the 5.9 but rods are opposite. Cummins has a bold warning saying incorrectly installed rods and piston will cause severe engine damage. This engine had 190k with the rods opposite of the way Cummins instructions say and I didn't find much wrong with rod or main bearings.

13 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I thought @04Mach1 was saying this was a Common Rail 5.9 issue not for us 2nd gen bubbas? :think:

Technicalities, always with the technicalities. 

Who knows you might be the only 2nd gen with the issue. Maybe we need to tear your motor down and see.