• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Airdog filters only?

You’ll be fine with just those filters but more filtration doesn’t hurt anything. 

I made the mistake of going on glacier diesels site and seeing he has a new stock fuel filter replacement that’s really slick. It’s pricey though, but I will eventually run that setup.

9 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

What filters are on the AD?

I believe 3 micron but could be 2?  I never had a problem but have no idea how to check to see if stock airdog filters are good, average or maybe need additional.  Lots of spec info on just about any filter on the market but very little info on airdog filters.  And I assume airdog has outside vendor that slaps their label on them.  And also have no idea what micron size would be harmful to fuel system.  

46 minutes ago, notlimah said:

You’ll be fine with just those filters but more filtration doesn’t hurt anything. 

I made the mistake of going on glacier diesels site and seeing he has a new stock fuel filter replacement that’s really slick. It’s pricey though, but I will eventually run that setup.

Not hurting anything was what I was thinking also.  Then after looking it got complicated with flow rates etc.  

I did extend my vent thing on top of tank and put on a filter on, just to keep dirt and crums from getting in.  Did that after working on fuel module.  Because I noticed top of tank gets junk also.  

Edited by 015point9

12 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I am not sure if AD ever changed their filters, but the last time I checked the OEM AD filters had worse filtration than stock. 

If you run a Baldwin BF1275 and a Donaldson P551315 on their you'll be good. 

Thanks...when I had a fass I used fleetgaurd.  Now with airdog I'll change.  Makes me nervous airdog doesn't have info on them.  Imo sort of like buying a tire that only has overall size and no other details.  

Last couple times I've called Vulcan.  Think next time I'll see if he has Donaldson.  I like to give him my business.  But I'm going away from airdog filters that's for sure.  Maybe I'm a sucker for name brand filters?  At work about 100 trucks used whatever mechanic showed up with and can't remember any filter problems.  (Other than the tattle tell on air filters not working)

50 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

You'll want the Donaldson/Baldwin mix for the best filtration. Neither is rated for the full flow of the AD, but as long as you're not below about 12 psi it "should" be fine. 

2 things...

1.  My fuel psi is 19 and 15 or 16 wot.  So I'm alright... thanks

2.  Any hints on how to match which filter to get?  Flow and amount of pressure and restrictions must play a part to get things working right.

I ran my airdog hanging on my fence in order to filter the fuel because the replacement fuel tank I found was a mess inside when I found it.  Including dead bird, rocks and dried out diesel.  I wanted to get it as clean as possible before I put in.  I cycled fuel back and forth between fuel tank and brand new garbage can.  The "flow" of diesel is a lot slower than what I thought for these pumps. My airdog model 95 I assume 95 gallon per min.  Didn't seem like over a gallon per min to me.  Maybe the "95 gpm" is a mearsument with no restrictions, meaning no filters to restrict flow.

Didn't think of it at the time but I should of timed how long to get one gallon.

They definitely don’t flow what they say they do but I can’t remember what causes that to be the case.

@AH64ID I’m currently about to use Donaoldson 551313 & 558000 for fuel/water on my FASS, is there a better mixed matched combo for flow rates?

25 minutes ago, notlimah said:

hey definitely don’t flow what they say they do but I can’t remember what causes that to be the case

I think the pumps do but they dont take the filters into consideration. Even the Donaldson filters wont flow the fuel the pumps are supposed to push. @AH64ID is a better person to explain that. I have to admit I have never free flowed mine to see. I do know that my VP filled a 5 gallon in less than 30 minutes with one injector line diverted to it.

• Staff

All pumps are rated at 0 psi, not 0 restriction. Filters are part of the pump, and when clean they do not offer a restriction worthy of discussing. The reason filters are so large is to provide enough surface area to not hinder flow until the filter is significantly plugged. 

That being said, the standard AD filters lack significant media to efficiently filter and flow what they need to. The problem with exceeding a filters flow is that you run the increased risk of pushing water and contaminants thru the media, while hindering performance. 

@notlimah, I wouldn't use the P558000 as it only has an 85% f/w separating rating. For some reason many Donaldson filters lack the f/w separation rates of the Baldwin or Fleetguard crosses, which is why I generally recommend Baldwin and/or Fleetguard f/w seps. 

If you have the vertical room try to run the P551311, or better yet the new DBF5817 with Synteq XP media. 

For the f/w Sep I would look at the FS1000. It only has a 90 GPH rating, but should support a FASS still making good pressure. 

Sounds good, thanks for the input. I’ve had the ones I mentioned under my back seat forever now as spares in case of emergency and was going to use them, but I’ll get those ones you recommended. What’s the best place to buy in your opinion? I saw them on amazon but not sure how the price compares to other places.

• Staff

I buy lots of filters from filterspro.com. As long as you're not buying 1 filter their prices are better with shipping, from what I have seen. 

I have to buy my FF5817 locally, but will be switching to the BDF next filter change. 

• Thanks 1

I'll cast a vote for filterspro.com. Bought a box full of oil and fuel filters from them about 15 months ago. Time for another order, only 1 more oil filter left. Good pricing in quantity even with shipping. Thanks for putting me on to them @AH64ID.

• Thanks 1

The Donaldson 551315 was a no go for the AD150 on my little truck. I had to resort to Wix. 

The threads were screwy on it. There was a threaded lip that came out instead of recessed. 

Donaldson

1925244187_Donaldson551315.jpg.745233923811e3f496601c74e511b1f3.jpg

Wix.

159889044_WixAirdogfilter.jpg.29b7ea28b520de2e5f795973738582e0.jpg

Baldwin water separator worked like a peach though.

Edited by Ben