• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

23 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

The turbo compressor wheel and intake tube are where you'll see contamination first. 

Ok thanks

Think I'll do a good cleaning then I'll know I'm starting clean for next service.

On 5/24/2018 at 11:59 AM, 015point9 said:

How could I test to make sure air is filtered?

Spray the tube with WD-40 or silicone spray and then go for a drive in a dusty area. After a good amount of dusty roads and travel wipe the tube out with a clean white rag and see if any dirt comes out. 

Thanks... very common sense idea.  Sure makes life easier with short cut ideas.  

I've been thinking how I was going to duck tape in a vacuum gauge  etc.

Not any more...thanks

On a BHAF I've been known to drill a hole large enough to insert the filter minder in the head of the filter. The OEM filter minder was designed in inches of water column not inches of mercury. 

On 5/27/2018 at 11:52 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

On a BHAF I've been known to drill a hole large enough to insert the filter minder in the head of the filter. The OEM filter minder was designed in inches of water column not inches of mercury. 

I was thinking about grilling a port in the intake elbow, and put in filter minder in there. That way you don't have to drill through a new filter every time and taking chances on small debris getting trapped inside the filter after drilling.

If you going to be oversizing the filters I highly suggest you cut them open and see the condition of the media after your normal run time. Like I'm still running the small (or tiny) AirDog filter but Donaldson like @AH64ID suggest but I'm finding that about 50k to 60k miles before the media is truly discolored. The stock filter pickup some debris but it takes a bit to get it dirty too. I was finding that at 15k miles like manufacture suggest my filters look like they were new out of the box yet. I kept doubling the mileage and cutting the filters open. So my change interval is 50k to 60k range. So far all them at that point are just discolored not BLACK. You can still see the color of the media yet. (Either white or yellow).

For something that big (physically) you might go well past 100k miles on filter changes. 

This is also based on if you getting clean fuel in the first place. If your getting cheap fuel or raiding farm fuel tank you might be in a different ball park.

• Like 1

Yea I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable putting that many miles through a filter exposed to the elements. The fass filters these replaced had only 8k on them but been on the truck over 2 years and were in terrible shape. Bunch of surface rust along the top of the filters and what not. 

Hopefully John can chime in on filter life expectancy but to me, if I’m changing filters every 2 years then that’s fine by me. 

10 minutes ago, notlimah said:

The fass filters these replaced had only 8k on them

Cut them both open! Seriously, you'll learn something if you examine the filter media.

Like my water separator I've been rinsing out and re-using. The marking and paint is disappearing. Like my last filter, I cut open at 60k miles for the year and it was still "OK" the media color was still visible but darken heading towards black.

Is your fuel pump up high enough to keep that thing from dragging the ground?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@notlimah I'm going to have to get me a set now, are you using them on fass 150 titanium? My original filters both have drain on them and I've had them on the truck for almost 3 years now I think 20k or so. Fuel pressure seems good, not sure if I'm going to change them yet. Not much rust ether on outside. 

Looks great!

I change my filters every 30K miles, 18 months, or at a visible pressure drop...whichever comes first. 

These days I usually hit 18 months, which is generally about 1100 gallons of fuel burned. If you figure about 50 GPH for the stock pump and the average 500 hours in 18 months that's 25,000 gallons thru the filters. 

What I really like is that means on average each gallon is filtered 22 times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@notlimah It looks like you have that pump mounted a lot higher than most I have seen. I mounted my AD inboard of the frame rails and on the frame rail. I dont believe those filters are any lower than mine. What did you mount the pump to?

Edited by dripley

They hang a good ways down. The angle of those pics don’t really show how far past the fender they are. I mounted it to the recommended frame mounting spot, just made damn sure I got the mount adjusted as high as possible. 

Here’s a pic from the side for reference with the new, bigger filters.

A0C0334C-9FE7-47F7-8E7C-F12CB323C44C.jpeg.7cbc1c22625aee4753cc4ae98a4a0db2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I just changed my filters, they were original that came with fass about 3 years ago and roughly 20K. I noticed that my PSI has been steady around15-16, where before it was closer to 18-19. Filter media didn't look that bad, the filter was slightly darker than the water separator. At first I thought I was wasting time and money changing them because they look so good but now my pressure is back to 19 PSI

I had another fass fs-1001 that I put back and forth fuel filter I used Donaldson p553203 that is supposed to be fws3003. Maybe next time I'll buy some big ones like that, just don't know if I like how they hang down.

20180618_200201.jpg.03118a9e7aa89262a16684de9495ae7b.jpg

Double the mileage. Those are still new. Being you just double the size of the filter I'm betting that you'll go well past 60k miles.

Now remember these are the tiny AirDog filter nothing like your huge FASS filter and clearing 60k miles. Double stacked.

Here is stock rate... As you can see stock filter change interval a waste. The filter is still white and clean.

Image result for mopar1973man fuel filters

60k miles later... Now they look dirty. No pressure loss.

Image result for mopar1973man fuel filters

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Just now, notlimah said:

So from what I understand the Donaldson is synthetic and he Fleetguard is cellulose, at least with the 2 filters I’m running correct?

The Donaldson is synthetic and I am fairly certain the FS1000 has some cellulose. 

• Thanks 1