• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bouncing Around

Last year I installed new Rancho shocks.  I'm still bouncing.  If I cross an intersection at 30mph +, the crown of the cross street will cause me to bounce up and down 4 or 5 times. If the fifth wheel RV is in tow, a concrete interstate with it's uneven seams is horrible. I don't remember which Rancho shock model I bought.  They're not the adjustable model though. Suggestions?

• Staff

Do you have air bags on it? Sometimes over inflating them causes the bounce like there are no shocks at all, so I had to ask.

Those Ranchos are warranteed and really should do the job of dampening the effects of the road. I also know that the adjustables get clogged up to where you can't adjust them anyway so I stayed with a non adjustable for hauling the camper, but went with the Japanese KYB MonoMax shocks. They are stiff so are better suited for loads, but not aggressive.

• Staff

I jumped on the KYB MonoMax since I heard a few companies with big name brands were having their products made elsewhere or were cutting back on how it used to be made. Kinda running more on the name than the old quality.

I had Rancho 5000's on a 1979 F-150, they were terrible on the street, felt every pebble in the road.  They worked really well off road though which is where I spent a lot of time when I had that truck.  I'm currently just running some HD Monroes on the Ram, they do the job.  I may try some Bilsteins some day. 

Rancho is a good company, but just like most manufactures, they do offer a wide range of quality.  I've used their 5000 series before and they're definitely nothing special.  Matter of fact, they're kinda the soft run of the mill shock absorber thats just about the same as all the other "off road" versions of what every other shock absorber company puts out.

When I replaced the factory shocks on my Dodge I heard good things about Bilsteins so thats what I went looking for, except no place had them local.  One store had KYB Monomax's and sold me on how they were a direct copy of the Bilstein and the same exact design, just different color.  I was eager to try them only to discover that they were HORRIBLE.  I've never felt a vehicle ride so stiff before.  After about 500-1000 miles I couldnt take it any more and took them back.  I had them give me a set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks because I was afraid to try the Bilsteins if they were anything like those Monomax's.

I've had those same Rancho 9000's on my truck for around ten years and they work great.  I run them fairly stiff in the front due to the engine weight, and soft in the back when unloaded.  When I hook up my heavy 5th wheel trailer I set the rears stiff to accommodate the increased weight.  No bounce.

Whenever these wear out I'll be getting another set of 9000's. :thumbup2:

I just replaced some Rancho RS7000MT monotubes with Monroe Reflex Light, much smoother ride unloaded. I spend most of the time empty or very little weight, so a softer shock was better for me. I did some hand compression and rebound tests with both shocks, the Rancho monotubes required more force for compression and rebounded much slower the monroes. I think it comes down to personal preference and use. 

Ranchos MTs were so stiff the truck rode like a brick on rough roads

10 minutes ago, CTcummins24V said:

I just replaced some Rancho RS7000MT monotubes with Monroe Reflex Light, much smoother ride unloaded. I spend most of the time empty or very little weight, so a softer shock was better for me. I did some hand compression and rebound tests with both shocks, the Rancho monotubes required more force for compression and rebounded much slower the monroes. I think it comes down to personal preference and use. 

Ranchos MTs were so stiff the truck rode like a brick on rough roads

Years ago I met someone who tried the Monroe Reflex shocks on their Dodge Cummins.  They said those shocks were too lightweight wouldn't last on their truck.  Guessing that the weight of the Cummins is too much for any shocks that arent more HD.

Edited by KATOOM

I have a set $22 each Monroe's on mine for 3 years or more. Don't remember what style, but they have held up a lot than I ever thought they would. They still keep me planted on the road.

@KATOOM, have those 9000's remained easily adjustable thru their life?

19 minutes ago, dripley said:

I have a set $22 each Monroe's on mine for 3 years or more. Don't remember what style, but they have held up a lot than I ever thought they would. They still keep me planted on the road.

@KATOOM, have those 9000's remained easily adjustable thru their life?

Good to know...

And yes, they're still working as they did the day I installed them.

16 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

Good to know...

And yes, they're still working as they did the day I installed them.

Good to know about the 9000 also.

Don't get me wrong the Monroe's are about like the OE's but they do work. I was a little short of cash when Ranco 5000's bit the dust.

• 1 month later...

I did a bit of shopping around when I needed shocks (13 or 14 years ago).  there were not a lot of choices out there for the 2x4 truck. 

I bought Bilsteins because that was about all I could find & they had a good warranty.  well........... around 2016 or so, they were riding like crap again (however its hard to tell, because this truck has never rode good, there is bad, worse & crappy) & I contacted Bilstein about their warranty.  they threw up EVERY road block they could find to not have to give me new shocks.  I bought another pair because I was in a time crunch, but I will NEVER buy another Bilstein again.  Not necessarily because of the product, but mostly because of the shitty service I got from them when I called.  

BTW, check for extended length on the Bilsteins if you get them, the replacements that they say "fits" my truck......... does not.  the shock does not have enough extension & bottoms out before it hits the bump stop.  

The truck is starting to ride 'worse' so 'crappy' is right behind & Im going to need new shocks again.  Id love to hear what you 2x4 owners have ended up using.  the 4x4 guys have choices.

& BTW, one of the guys that works for me has a 2005 4x4, & just put some Bilsteins on his truck & loves the way it rides now.  that said.............. his old ones were junk...........  anything would have been better.