• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ready to do a fuel system

I am moving to California at the end of June and think maybe I don’t want to test the DDRP for the 1200 mile trip towing.  I am trying to figure out which system makes the most sense, and if it comes with everything needed for the install.  This truck is stock except edge comp (not tapped currently due to not having a fuel system).  It will never see more than a 75-100hp injector (assuming I can do anything in the people’s republic of California)

Fass, airdog, or?..

which model and why?

what do I need in addition to the system for install?  Hoping to not have to drop the tank before I go as I am running out of time.

i appreciate any and all help/opinions.  (I may be open to the belt driven mechanical pump setup) 

thank you

brian

• Owner

Personally...

AirDog 150 - Small package easy to tuck nearly anywhere out of the damage path of the tires. I'm at 12 years of age and heading for 13 years. 150 model has better pressure stability over a 100 series which typically has a wider range of pressure fall. More volume the better the pressure stability.

To install any fuel system is going to require dropping the tank and installing a 1/2" draw straw of some sort. Other than that you'll end up cavitating the pump and creating air bubbles.Best to have 1/2" line from the tank all the way to the VP44. Best pressure stability you can have. Keep in mind you will want to keep the stock filter can for extra filtration. Vulcan Performance sells the Big line kit for this. I ran into this problem as well with my AirDog I was running out of time and needed the truck. So I installed the pump and used the stock pickup basket this resulted in big drops of pressure during heavy throttle like pulling a grade. 

I'm not fond of the mechanical belt driven pumps. If you don't keep an electric primer pump you'll never get it started again unless you can spin the mechanical pump with a drill or something to prime the system again. This creates extra plumbing nightmare with check valves and tees to include the stock pump again. Lot of people like the belt driven because pressure rises with RPM. You have to remember this is strictly a pump. No air separation, no water separator, no extra filter. Like both AirDog and FASS you can get 3um filters. Basically stuck with stock filters.

FASS I've installed a few of these and I'm not impressed. Extremely large pump and filter assembly nearly twice as big as the AirDog. This limits the install to basically where the manual suggest hanging it off the front bed bolt. This places the filters in the damage path and tends to get struck from all the road debris. The one I installed locally has way more issues with gelling fuel in the winter time than my truck. If seen a few local ranchers out here stuck in the backcountry because the filters got yanked off my logs, rocks and hitting the ground while being offroad. 

13 years of hanging here... So old now the AirDog label fell off DSCF4404.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, portlandareae28 said:

I am moving to California at the end of June and think maybe I don’t want to test the DDRP for the 1200 mile trip towing.  I am trying to figure out which system makes the most sense, and if it comes with everything needed for the install.  This truck is stock except edge comp (not tapped currently due to not having a fuel system).  It will never see more than a 75-100hp injector (assuming I can do anything in the people’s republic of California)

Fass, airdog, or?..

which model and why?

what do I need in addition to the system for install?  Hoping to not have to drop the tank before I go as I am running out of time.

i appreciate any and all help/opinions.  (I may be open to the belt driven mechanical pump setup) 

thank you

brian

I am in california just smoged my truck last week. they only do a visual for obvious things and a snap the throttle test, no smoke you pass. I have injectors and remove the edge ez for the test. 

I have an AD in mine. Installed 8  years ago. The only problem I had was a failed pump  years ago. AD replaced no questions asked. The one I bought came with a kit to replace the in tank pump, the only I could find at the time that came with it. The added filtration was a big plus. Mine is mounted on the inside of the frame rails but does hang below a little. Beings my truck does not see alot of off road I dont worry about that aspect. I have never seen any damage to the filters. As Mike mentions you will need to do a larger fuel pick up. You need that for the full benefit of the pump.

I have no experience with the mechanical style but several members here use them and are quite happy with them. IIRC they cost about the same but you have go elsewhere for more filtration and that means more money. I would defer to them that has them to say for sure. 

2 hours ago, portlandareae28 said:

Fass, airdog, or?..

which model and why?

thank you

brian

I have had my AD for 8-9 years no. never an issue, had my truck one week and would not start one mourning and had no fuel pressue from the lift pump put BU it in that week and have a mechanical gage under the truck and an electric gage in the cab. runs 17 psi  BUT for a while the AD was having some issue with there quality control not sure if they are now top notch or not

You're in western wa and near portrtland?  Look up Vulcan diesel address.  He helped me a lot when butcher of mechanic did change over from fass ( 11 years) to airdog (because airdog has a tech guy that spoke spanish) great guy and might be close to you.  Mechanic work done in Yuma where everyone is a "best mechanics".

For me no problem with either.  But Vulcan has a cheap pump I carry under back seat that if airdog goes out...can slip in carter pump and then get main pump at a shop of your choice or etc.  Or captive to "best mechanics" or stuck waiting for new pump.  Or in my case waiting 3 days to be "overnight" from Phoenix to yuma.  

I have a mechanical pump. Paid about $800 total for the pump, filter setup, regulator, hose, and fittings. Mine was NOT a kit. Pieced all that together. With the recent price increase of Fass pumps, I would lean towards spending the extra $100 on a mechanical setup. Reliability and pressure increase with rpm. I carry an extra belt, priming tool, and drill in my toolbox. 

• Owner

AirDog / Raptor has had a troubled past where the owner of the company sold it and the new owner changed up the design attempting to make more money. What this did was created several issues that reduced lifespan of the pump and motor. Like I've got a Raptor sitting on the shelf with a bad motor shaft because the seal ate groove in the steel shaft. 

Now if you didn't know FASS and AirDog are a Father and Son thing. Father owns AirDog and the Son owns FASS. Kind of like a family feud of sorts. I can say that I've talked to the Father about AirDog and what was happening during the high failure rate. He assured me that he was going to get the owners to comply with the contract of the company. There is a long legal background with AirDog between the Father and the new owner. 

Lot of people wanted to go back to the old school mechanical pumps like the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen 12V had. The belt driven pump is the closest thing to getting there with good performance. There is a factor that has not seen the test of time. I know the mechanical pump is the farther mount pump from the fuel tank. No pump is designed to suck fuel a long distance. This why Electric pump are favored in some cases. Even Dodge went to installing the pump in the tank to shorten the distance and get the pump back to pushing fuel not sucking the fuel. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

9 hours ago, portlandareae28 said:

Do share your thoughts/reasons.

Seems like most everyone likes their AD's

Basically the main reason I went with a FASS over the Fuel Boss the first time was the filtration. I liked the smaller fuel filter and water separator that came with the FASS and I didn’t want to use the stock fuel filter so I bypassed that. 

Now with the option of better filtration AND water sep in the same location as the stock fuel filter it’s a no brainer for me. Increasing pressure from the mechanical pump, mechanical reliability, simple design, that’s how I’d go if I were doing it again, and still may go in the future.

• Like 1

• Staff

I've been able to prime my fuel system using a shop vac blowing down inside the fill neck. It doesn't take very long. Just about a 3 second blast of air down the tank. May need to do it a couple times and using a clean rag to filter the air a little bit helps.

41 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I've been able to prime my fuel system using a shop vac blowing down inside the fill neck. It doesn't take very long. Just about a 3 second blast of air down the tank. May need to do it a couple times and using a clean rag to filter the air a little bit helps.

You serious?  Dirty rag not enough air flow?

Dont move to Calif.......Is my advice,

Gas and diesel is $1.00 more a gallon, along with all the other high taxes and stupid restrictive laws

I am very pleased with my Fass Titanium. Too many failures with airdogs over the years and Fass is a simpler design , less parts to fail

• Owner
39 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Dont move to Calif.......Is my advice,

Gas and diesel is $1.00 more a gallon, along with all the other high taxes and stupid restrictive laws

I totally agree... I left California back in 1989. Never looked back. 

As you can see there is a wide range of people and answers provided. All I can say is make a pick for whatever system you like and do the install. While doing the install make sure to get all the parts you need and do it right the first time. It really does suck to have to do a job twice or drop a tank twice.