• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lockup bog/timing torque/general q's

My 98.5 auto bogs when the TCC locks up at light throttle. With OD off it locks up at 35mph, otherwise it locks up at 50mph. However my speedo is roughly 5mph fast compared to actual, so subtract those readings by 5.

After running custom tunes off this board, it seems like timing of 17/20/25/28 on the Quadzilla makes more lowend torque than my previous timing of 16/19/24/26, and when the TCC locks up its not as prone to bogging and shaking the entire truck to bits. I am confident I have no boost leaks based on the great off idle torque my truck makes, and the supreme lack of smoke (also thanks to going back to a stock stall torque converter).

This takes us to my questions:

1) With ARP 625 studs and o-rings like I have, can I throw all the timing in the world at the motor, or will I hurt it at some point? I ask becasue perhaps I can keep increasing lowend timing and gaining power, hopefully to negate my problem all together with another degree or two of timing.

2) I just installed a lockup switch. My problem is lockup is occuring about 10mph too soon. Well, the lockup switch didnt stop the truck from locking the TCC, it just enabled me to lock it even sooner. Not exactly solving my problems here. This leads to 3...

3) Is there a way for me to disable TCC lockup, so I can have the truck only lockup when I command it? This is not practical, but the alternative solution I have been employing is pressing OD off just before 50mph so lockup in 3rd gear is smooth. But then I have to disable OD off at every stop light, because if I leave it on and take off again when it locks at 35mph its ultra harsh. Worse than 4th gear 50mph OD lockup. Not practical at all.

Thanks.

Edit; these lockup conditions I speak of, bogging the truck, shaking and rattling the entire drivetrain and cab, happens only at light throttle. If Im wide open or even accelerating hard, the truck will lockup 10mph later or more, and lockup will be perfect. Problem is, most the time daily driving I am at 10-20% throttle whilst crusing. And the roads here are commonly 50mph, so I have that harsh terrible lockup at normal cruising speeds, aka every street, every day. Drives me nuts.

Edited by rogerash0

lol with 625's you could do 30* from idle up and not blow the head off.    Feel free to throw timing at it.  

You can interupt the lockup signal by cutting the wire to the trans, then wiring in your switch between.  

have you adjusted your tv cable?

14mm 625's ;) Blowing the head off isnt a concern (obviously), its hurting something else like the rods or bearings.

I adjusted the TV cable relentlessly with nill results. I then took it to Firepunk where they had to bend the TV bracket. It now shifts at much higher RPMs (2k ish), and shifts right, thank goodness. I havnt played with it since.

So your saying to cut the same wire I tapped my lockup switch into, albeit after the switch, right?

Also, is there an easy way to wire in another OD OFF switch? Mine is getting worn out and I typically have to press it numerous times unless I get lucky. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by rogerash0

you are tapping the lockup wire and grounding.  If you want %100 control I would do a 3 position 2 pole switch.  1 position for stock, where the lockup wire is just routed through the switch,  then one position for unlocked where there is no ground possible to lockup, and on3 position for locked where you just ground the lockup.    The pcm would be out of the loop for off and manual lockup positions.

as for timing vs hurting something.  The truck will run like trash long before you do harm.  

That does sound really good, but the truck really shutters way too bad as it stands to justify the three pole switch. Plus my wife is a smart cookie and can understand the current problem at ease when she drives my drunk *** around (not often). Hopefully the added torque from higher timing helps, but I doubt it. I added another half degree of timing because I can feel a big difference going just half a degree at a time, which I'll test drive tmrw on the way to work.

It's also got an auxiliary trans cooler on it now, so even if you drove around with lockup off it would take quite awhile to overheat.

Any status on the alternative od off switch? I've been working on my crimps and wiring skills, even purchased a nice Weller soldering iron. Reworked airdog harness pictured.

IMG_20180421_181433156.jpg

Putting down 600-700hp, do you think a 4x4 boosted launch at say 3-4psi would blow my truck up? Armet billet input and billet output. Dana 60/70 with 35 spline front axles and Yukon hubs. I feel like it would wreck the transfer case, driveline, and differentials after not too many. Good assumption?

Edited by rogerash0

Damn, them spider gears? Guess I'll continue not to do any boosted launches. Something will give way.. lol. I figured u joints and transfer case would be first. Not rly worth it.

Any advice on when to engage lockup switch? Before big power, not under big power, in the meat of the power around 2k rpms, or? 

It had just rained when I test drove it and I could tell it instantly put down big power as the rears lit up spinning.

The anti torque management mod is next, but they say 98.5-99 don't have Tm? Not sure exactly....

• Staff
5 hours ago, rogerash0 said:

Also, is there an easy way to wire in another OD OFF switch? Mine is getting worn out and I typically have to press it numerous times unless I get lucky. 

The OD switch can be replaced by just using a small pocket screwdriver to pop the old one out, unplugging  the two wires to it, plug the wires into the new switch and snap the switch into the end of the shifter.

You can get the switch out of a wreaking yard.  The same switch is used in ram 1500, 2500, 3500, Durango and Dakota.

• Like 1

I'm about $750 into parts for it.  All Spicer components, except for the bearings, which are Timken.  Doing the work myself, with a mechanic friend who I can pay in beer.

Removal took an hour, cause I loosened the ring gear bolts while in the pumpkin still.  Haven't touched it in a couple days, because I neglected to order the ring and pinion on the first go around and then it bit me in the ***.  Going to take the carrier to a proper differential shop to get the carrier bearings off and back on, due to a lack of correct tools and knowledge on my part.

Edited by trreed

Yep, that'll be fun.  My current carrier did not have any shims beneath the bearing caps, so hopefully the new ring gear doesn't need them either!

Moral of the story is don't be a dumbass and show off!

Edited by trreed

• Staff
3 hours ago, rogerash0 said:

Awesome, thanks guys

O ya, and if I cut the lockup wire do I want it to be left with the ground switch on the pcm or trans side?

You want it on the trans side but no need to cut just use a quick splice connector to attache the grounding wire to the lockup wire.  

You can do something like this or trying to just running the wire through a switch to ground.

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/52_transmission-transfer-case/diy-converter-lock-up-with-brake-pedal-release-r536/ 

You say to splice/wire tap down at the trans becasue its a shorter path to ground that way? I read elsewhere to be as close to the pcm connector as possible, and since that was less total wire to run, I went that method.

I just need to know which side of the wire splice to cut. Reason why is I assume its a 5v signal wire, being that its orange and black, and it can be switched to ground (duh). So if I cut it off from the PCM, how will it ever get 5v? But if I cut the other side that goes to the trans, how will the solenoid know when its grounded? Obviously there are more wires going to the trans, so there's a second wire to this equation, coming from the PCM, to tell it otherwise. So with that said, I would assume leave the wire from PCM to switch to ground, and cut the wire after the splice, cutting it between the splice & the trans. I'd just rather ask than hack up the harness more than need be.

Edited by rogerash0