• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

i guess dead pedal

Hi Yall ive been working on my truck for weeks now and cant figure out whats wrong. when i take off in first gear it wont gobut 10 mph and the rpms go way up so i shift gears still to remain only 10-12 mph then  it will all of a sudden start driving right this happens all the time and i cant haul my horses down the road comfortably knowing it might break down on me. at first it wouldnt start i kept trying to start it until i ruined the starter and had to replace that and one of the batteries then the fuel filter which was very bad i cleaned out bottom of canister also. air filter and replaced the in tank fuel pump also cleaned the banjo bolt in return fuel line it worked pretty good for a day or two but is back to its not going but 10 mph at take off sometimes what should i do next i had someone put gauge on fuel pressure it was 11 should i replace the throttle sensor? help

Edited by JAG1

I believe your going to be needing a new VP, p0216, and a lift pump, the in tank pumps stuck. Mine did. A bad lift pump is bad on the VP. The p0500 is mostly you spun the rear somewhere. Is the speedo working?

Something you ought to try is dumping some 2 cycle oil in the fuel. Put a couple oz per gallon in it and it might help for a while. TCW3 ashlessis what Wally sells it in their super tech line pretty reasonable. Me and many others here use it religiously. 

I take the fuel pressure reading was at idle? If that's all your I tank pump can muster it is just grinding the VP up. Minimum you ought to see 14 psi with your foot glued to the floor. The fuel is what lubricates and cools the electronics on the VP.

bummer thats the last thing i wanted to have to replace right!!!! yes it was at idlewhen tested. What about a elec fuel pump inline before the injector a 12 volt? I had one of those for long time

like 6 years I thought that the vp pumps just quit when they broke down not go

out slowly yes speed o works most of the time but i have noticed it not working on some occassions

Edited by mistydawn04

11 psi at idle isn't the worst thing ever, sounds like the vp was just worn out. You are feeling the effect of nearly 0* of timing.  Guessing you are seeing white smoke as well?  then the vp heats up and the timing piston in the vp unsticks and you suddenly get power back.  

A better lift pump is a good idle, something diesel rated and that can flow 100+ gph of fuel.

If your speedo goes in and out you might need to replace the sensor on the rear diff or you might have a wiring issue between the abs computer and the rear axle.  sensor is cheap and easy, but you can also just jump te plug on the axle with a paper clip them ohm out the wires at the ABS computer, that should tell you if the wires are good or not. 

• Like 1

the vp44 pump is a dynamic timing pump, so as conditions change the pump commands different timing to make the truck run efficently.  

When the timing piston gets stuck the truck is trying to run at nearly 0* before Top dead center, TDC, this means that the fuel is not being injected prior to the right point in the engine stroke and you loose nearly all of your power.    

Normally our trucks idle at 12* of timing and walk up to 25-30* depending on conditions.   your truck is likely stuck at near 0* of timing and never advancing until you get power back.  

reason for this a galled up timing piston in the injection pump.  

psi9x.jpg

which sits inside of 

HPIM0780.jpg

Edited by JAG1

i understand what your saying and of course that makes sense but it only does it from start up after it kicks in it runs fine and when i get where ever im going it usually doesnt do it again when i get ready to leave but sometimes it does is there anyway to check the pump to see if it is broke before i replace it??

what all year trucks have the same vp44 pump as mine its an 2002 ?

cuz sometimees i buy vehicles at online auctions that are totaled or slavaged and maybe i can find a truck with same parts as mine for parts truck

Edited by JAG1

any vp44 from 1998.5-2002 will have a pump that works.   Youhave a HO pump, but a SO pump will also work in a snap.

The reason why it appears to work after the issue happens is the metal case of the vp44 expands after getting some heat and the timing piston is allowed to move and start working again.  if you park it for awhile then it cools off and the case shrinks again and the timing piston gets stuck again.  

It is the most common failure with the most common symptoms.   P0216 + low startup power = bad vp44.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1