• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

7 way trailer harness

A few months ago I hooked up to a trailer and smoked a few wires and the brakes dont work anymore on it. I been trying to figure out what was wrong with my truck. However using a test like everything is hooked up as it should be.  Anyone have any suggestions?? 

Sorry I should of been a bit more descriptive and clear.  It smoked the ground wire on the trailer and the trailer brakes no longer work. Also when this happens my third brake light lit up and stayed on until I unplugged the trailer.  When I test the plug on the truck using a test light all poles light up when they are supposed to. Constant hot, turn signals, so on. I use a smaller trailer that uses the 4 way plug that works just fine. 

Edited by Unreal Summit

• Staff

Sounds like the ground wire became a fusible link and that it was connected to the constant hot which is protected by a 40 amp fuse.   The ground wire might have been smaller than 10 gauge and burned before the fuse could go.  It must have melted into the other wires powering them, like brake light and taking out the circuit for the electromagnets on the trailer brakes.  I'd be checking on how that trailer was wired.  

This may help.

644627885_qu32605_8001.jpg.3d1c710c7045f1f6a8c5a1d34f5cc8db.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...