• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 BUCKING ISSUE

I'll preface my post by committing $200 to anyone whose recommendation solves my issue.  This is not my truck in the YouTube video but it accurately depicts what I'm experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xudW4yafWTc

Here's some brief maintenance history on my truck:

1. Newly rebuilt tranny

2. Replaced 3 separate TPPS (WELLS, Timbos and Stock) to try solve issue

3. Installed RAPTOR 100GPH lift pump (16PSI at idle, 15PSI highway)

4. Newly installe remanned VP44 pump

5.  All battery cables replaced with 2/0

7.  Thoroughly cleaned engine block grounds on both sides of the engine

8. ATS signal conditioner install at PCM

9.  No code errors

S.O.S.

I desperate guys!! Please help!!

• Owner
On 6/11/2018 at 6:28 AM, Toughspot said:

8. ATS signal conditioner install at PCM

And a bad alternator. Ditch the ATS noise filter return the electrical back to stock. Most likely replace the alternator but have it tested for AC ripple. Then you'll want to do this ground mod. 

Edited by JAG1

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

And a bad alternator. Ditch the ATS noise filter return the electrical back to stock. Most likely replace the alternator but have it teated for AC ripple. Then you'll want to do this ground mod. 

I'll try this exercise and report my results.  Not to mention the alternator is new.  By the way, just to show how desperate I am, I ordered the diode bridge (Order #1698) from you to have my spare alternator rebuilt to try to out.

Edited by Toughspot

• Owner

Did you do the ground mod?

What typically it is the ac noise muddys the tach signal and the ECM start the bucking. Another way of testing is disconnect the alternator field lead go for drive. If it goes away the problem is for sure AC noise related. Noise filter is a huge clue in this and should be removed. 

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Did you do the ground mod?

What typically it is the ac noise muddys the tach signal and the ECM start the bucking. Another way of testing is disconnect the alternator field lead go for drive. If it goes away the problem is for sure AC noise related. Noise filter is a huge clue in this and should be removed. 

I disconnected the alternator per instructions in one of your post by un-clipping the wire and removing the 140A fuse.  I went for a drive and the problem still remain.  So I assumed the problem might not be alternator related.

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Hmmm... 

Could you list out all your mods you have on the truck in your signature? I'm looking for more clues on what it could be. It's still electrical natured.

Okay will do... By the way these are my VAC readings I got from the alternator...  0.012VAC is across the battery and 0.033VAC is from the output cable of alternator to negative post of battery.

IMG_7411.JPG

IMG_7413.JPG

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Hmmm... 

Could you list out all your mods you have on the truck in your signature? I'm looking for more clues on what it could be. It's still electrical natured.

Mods on truck:

1. BANK Cold air intake

2. BANK intake elbow

3. RAPTOR lift pump 100GPH

4. CAT 2 micron high efficiency filter

5. Just added Edge-EZ

6. ATS signal conditioner

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That why I'm asking for signature information so I can see if there is something else in the system muddy the signal. Do you have any tuners programmers anything like that? turbo? Injectors? Any engine modifications? 

Just added tuner, but the problem existed before the addition.  Thought it might helped

Aurora 3000 Turbo charger

No other engine mods... stock injectors

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That why I'm asking for signature information so I can see if there is something else in the system muddy the signal. Do you have any tuners programmers anything like that? turbo? Injectors? Any engine modifications? 

By the way, I had this problem when the truck was BONE-STOCK...

I was hoping minor mods could help

• Owner

Did you try test drive with the Edge EZ removed?

Do you have air bubbles coming through the fuel system? Raptor could be drawing air into the lines and since there is no air separator then it would start bucking. Under load the fuel flow is higher so ithe air bubbles will be more plentiful. 

Still you will wnat to di the ground mod above. @dripley reported a 50% reduction to the noise levels. dropping him to the 0.01x realm.

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

what speed and conditions does it happen at?  

light throttle  / heavy throttle?   

1st gear or all gears?   

This morning alone I was simply taking off. So my speed was about 10-15mph

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Did you try test drive with the Edge EZ removed?

Do you have air bubbles coming through the fuel system? Raptor could be drawing air into the lines and since there is no air separator then it would start bucking. Under load the fuel flow is higher so ithe air bubbles will be more plentiful. 

Still you will wnat to di the ground mod above. @dripley reported a 50% reduction to the noise levels. dropping him to the 0.01x realm.

I will do the ground mod this afternoon after work and let you guys know how it turned out

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Mine went from .035 to .010. This was measured across the batteries and at the alternator output. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Me78569 said:

how about conditions?  Is it regardless of throttle input?  does more or less input change the result?   Please give us as much info as possible so we understand what systems are involved.

yes sir, regardless of conditions.  By the way I'm in the Bahamas so cold weather not a factor.  I removed the connectors from the PCM and sprayed them with electrical cleaner just in case salt might be an issue

1 minute ago, dripley said:

Mine went from .035 to .010. This was measured across the batteries and at the alternator output. 

I will definitely do this ground mod this afternoon

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Does it do it in first gear?  

Whenever I give throttle... But idling out to the highway through my community it doesn't happen.  But yes... It happens it 1st gear.... Or as long as the throttle pedal is depressed

I've already replaced the TPS 3 times

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

If it happens in first we can rule out TC lockup issues.  

does your truck have smoke, white or blakc when this happens?

I haven't noticed but I will be sure to observe...

Since it happen in first gear and chances not a TC lock up issue, can it still be attributed to bad grounding?