• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just changed my fuel filter, it was black, can't remember the last time I changed it. Fuel pressure was dropping with acceleration and boost wouldn't go much above 25psi, which it shouldn't with the fuel boss. Black granulars in the stock filter housing. Truck sits all winter and doesn't get used a whole lot in the summer, so I'm guessing there's algae. Anyone experience this? What's the best product to run? Bio Kleen? I'm going to change the filter again in a week or so and see what it looks like. 

A4362642-2895-4BDC-BE90-BCB5F2A44955.jpeg

Edited by CTcummins24V

I have had algae in a couple of tractors on the farm, used bio kleen or whatever power service calls theirs. When I had it in the tractors it looked like black snot in the fuel filters, I got a bunch of it out of the Case that had a sediment bulb before the fuel filters and it was literally black slime that came out. Had to treat the diesel per instructions on bottle, fill tank as full as I could I let it sit for a weekend. Had to stock up on more filters, took a couple of weeks to get all the junk out after the fact. 

• Like 1

I use it during winter every so often and try to keep tank full.  Only because of a new hire that his old job was cleaning out fuel tanks on large ships and commercial fishing boats.  His pic's convinced me just to be safe...use some. Matter of fact I'm stuck at home and fuel in my tank is 2 years old now.   I do the "shock" treatment.  I have very mild winters but lots of humidity so mold grows.  

Don't store bottle under seat...type i have stinks if cap wiggles loose.  I never had a problem and hope I never do. 

Edited by 015point9
Info

Signature says you have a fass.  I would follow their guidelines.  I buy fuel from a place that goes through lots of fuel.  So the fuel I am buying should be fresh.  When I drain my water fuel seperator I  catch it in a glass jar and look for stuff.  Ususlly 2 or 3 very small drops of what i think is water droplets.  Just me...but that's what I do, but no expert.

I have never had an issue with. Mine gets driven almost every day of the year and right now I am going thru 2 tanks a week. Even closer to home I run a tank a week usually. Never sure on the fuel I run since 5% and less bio is not marked on the pump. I do run some 5% to 20% bio blend on occasions and have for several years with no issue in the filters. My filter has looked black like @CTcummins24V's picture in the past, just no strange crud in it. I change the filter of I see a change in the fuel pressure. I don't have a set service interval.

Thru all of that I have fuel. Last time i looked in the tank clean as new. No crud. That was how ever well 200k ago.

Truck has been garaged or not driven every winter for the past 3-4 years. I don’t think I’ve changed the filter in 2-3 years because I don’t put many miles on it...lesson learned. 

Only driven once since filter change, and no pinging and panging noise from my truck. Very interesting. I’ve been thinking it was my torque converter this whole time. Maybe it was injector or vp44 noise from inadequate fuel, only in 3rd and 4th lockup.

(Side note algae and mold and vehicle not getting used much)

My air filter plunger thing never went down.  Always said it was ok.  Probably 4 or 5 years since I looked at it the filter itself.  In corners of air box under the filter I had a little bit of mold growing.  Now every other oil change i get new air filter.  

Diffs...had a 87 ford that was parked for several years.  Hooked up trailer on vacation one year and diff made crunching noise.  Pulled cover and slight rust on gear teeth that were exposed to air over those years.  Not much rust but enough.  I changed out fluid and removed rust using emery paper.  Now I try once a month start and move everything I have with a cylinder in it.  Including my nail guns and generator.

GDP fuel boss mechanical with isspro ev1 mechanical gauge, fuel boss belt and cogs etc are fine. Pressures have been fluctuating like crazy. Normal driving 16-18psi, letting off the throttle easy it stays. Hard acceleration and the fuel pressure starts dropping, trucks sputters, and then the fuel pressure would drop like crazy, sometimes to 0. Sometimes it would recover, sometimes not. I just checked the fuel filter fine, truck was idling and fuel pressure said 0...I have a fuel tank of fuel and I really don't want to drop this tank.

What's the best way to drain a full tank? Could someone post a link?

Ibmoble way sounds Better than what i did... i just bought a new metal trash can, washed it out.  Turned upside down couple couple days to be completely dry.  Then  a cheap harbor freight hand pump... that's takes awhile.