• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

is my vp44 shot

hey all. i dont usually have any question on working on these engines, but today im a little puzzled. i changed the stock lift pump on my 2001 with a raptor 100. i had this lift pump on my other 2001, but i just got that one an air dog 150. 

anyhow, ive changed lift pumps/filters on these trucks 20+ times and have done the bleeding procedure as anyone would. crack lines 1,3,4 bump a couple times till you get some fuel, crank until air is gone and fuel is clear, close lines, start.

today after i got done finishing my lift pump install i did just as i stated and i was getting some fuel/air from all three. line 4 started to get good fuel and it was acting like it wanted to start. all the sudden lines 2 and 3 went from fuel/air bubbles to nothing. i cracked the vp44 line and was getting good fuel there. i then started to crank again and again with fuel only coming out of line 4 and not 1 or 3. i then opened line 5 and got good fuel from 4 and 5 still but none from 1 and 3. it isnt even trying to act like it wants to start. no engine codes. im guessing vp is toast. whats your thoughts. 

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Mine did that when I didn't seat the factory filter cap properly. Air kept going in and then fuel would fall back to the tank back nothing but air. I hope yours is as simple.:pray:

the fuel canister lid? i didnt remove that

Just read another thread that had the exact same issue. Fuel to 4 and 5 but not 1 or 3. He replaced VP and fired up

Edited by cumminsVP2001

• Staff

I was hoping for the best for you. I just replaced my VP last week and it went well. Mine cut out on the road with no warning. Check engine light came on and code reader said 1688 no communication between injection pump and ECM.

23 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I was hoping for the best for you. I just replaced my VP last week and it went well. Mine cut out on the road with no warning. Check engine light came on and code reader said 1688 no communication between injection pump and ECM.

i wish i would at least get a code just so i know

• Staff

I know there is a way to hot wire the vp but it will only idle. It at least tells you that it is something other than the vp if you can get it to run that way. Hopefully someone will chime in about this. Or it might be in the article data base

5 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I know there is a way to hot wire the vp but it will only idle. It at least tells you that it is something other than the vp if you can get it to run that way. Hopefully someone will chime in about this. Or it might be in the article data base

ive heard of that too but couldnt find out how

• Owner
10 hours ago, cumminsVP2001 said:

https://www.ebay.com/i/222441736989?chn=ps has anyone ever done this? never heard anyone mention it

Scam for sure. First, of the Bosch 815 test stand for calibrating the PSG is about $660,000 for one machine. Then the time it takes to process one pump on the Bosch 815 is about 3 hours of testing then the PSG is flashed. The license from Bosch to be a rebuilder is sick high in dollars. This is why there are so few people that are a certified rebuilder. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cumminsVP2001 said:

I was just seeing if anyone had done something like that. Maybe it was common and I never heard of it. wasn't just going to instantly send my money off. Thanks moparman! Guess it will be awhile until the ol girl runs again

I went a similar with an ECM rebuilder many years back. Cost me a lot of money and aggravation. Did not want to see that happen to you or anyone else. I do not mean for it to be personal. 

When I read their add it appears the $80 is a diagnostic fee plus you have to ship to Japan it appears and pay to have it shipped back to. After diagnostics they tell you what it will cost to repair. I would hazard to guess that even it was legit that your cost would have been at least double if not more than what it would cost you to buy from DAP for just less than a grand.      

Again. It was nothing personal.

no worries. but ya i can see the cost being almost the same or more all said and done. like i said i did it for the ecm on my 93 and only cost me like 115$. i looked alllll over the internet and only found 2 being sold on ebay for $400+ dollars and called about a dozen different places and only one place could find one at a dealership in Michigan i believe. they had one in stock

• 2 weeks later...

well, i put in another vp44 off a perfectly fine running truck and after installing and trying to bleed im getting the same problem. fuel out of 4 and 5 but not even a dribble out of 1,2,3. im pretty stumped at this point. this was a perfectly running truck until i put on my raptor 100, now it wont start.