Jump to content
  • Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

     

    Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...
     

    • Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, cumminsVP2001 said:

even if im for sure getting good fuel to the vp? it can still not be primed?

Good flow to vp should be spraying everywhere not barely trickling out make sure there is no air in the line going into the vp before doing the injector lines.. also u can try bleeding one line at a time instead of cracking them all.. I apologize I got busy yesterday.. I hope you get this figured out.. seems most in the thread know what they talking bout so u didn’t need me that much haha.. from person experience with water pumps u can prime em easily hundreds of times and that one time too much water / fluid excapes the chamber it will still pump just not to full potential it is practically vapor locked can’t push the bubble out.. same can happen in the radiator if u fill it too fast.. also if u have a spare battery laying around u can run pos and neg directly to the pump so ur not constantly waiting on it..

Just realized ur pump location is under the hood behind the filter housing.. one of the worst spots cuz the pump gets way too hot.. if this is the case the pump is way diff than what I was picturing in my head more than likely explains the confusion still concepts are the same also wouldn’t need a battery just two pieces of wire long enough to reach ur battery 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, snoogett said:

Good flow to vp should be spraying everywhere not barely trickling out make sure there is no air in the line going into the vp before doing the injector lines.. also u can try bleeding one line at a time instead of cracking them all.. I apologize I got busy yesterday.. I hope you get this figured out.. seems most in the thread know what they talking bout so u didn’t need me that much haha.. from person experience with water pumps u can prime em easily hundreds of times and that one time too much water / fluid excapes the chamber it will still pump just not to full potential it is practically vapor locked can’t push the bubble out.. same can happen in the radiator if u fill it too fast.. also if u have a spare battery laying around u can run pos and neg directly to the pump so ur not constantly waiting on it..

Just realized ur pump location is under the hood behind the filter housing.. one of the worst spots cuz the pump gets way too hot.. if this is the case the pump is way diff than what I was picturing in my head more than likely explains the confusion still concepts are the same also wouldn’t need a battery just two pieces of wire long enough to reach ur battery 

thank you all for the help. i just got back inside from trying to bleed it for an hour and no luck. i did get fuel to lines 1 and 3 which is a plus, but its just not high enough pressure i think..at one point it started hiccuping like it wanted to but then stopped.then after that i couldnt get any fuel out of line 3, a slight dribble/flow from line 1 and line four was getting the most, but still not spraying out.  i am getting high pressure fuel at the injection pump (it sprays everywhere when you loosen the banjo bolt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Just get the lines slllllightly loose and crank that mofo! While it’s cranking slowly tighten the lines as tight as you can hand tight and see if it’ll sputter to life.

ive done it all, slightly cracked, 2-4 turns loose. like i said it just doesnt seem like its getting enough pressure to the injectors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sometimes this happens with a diesel can be hella hard to get fully primed seems u got the pump for sure primed and need to get all injector pipes filled.. don’t give up.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snoogett said:

So sometimes this happens with a diesel can be hella hard to get fully primed seems u got the pump for sure primed and need to get all injector pipes filled.. don’t give up.. 

just keep cranking? i feel like im getting no where and am going to eventually ruin a lift pump, injection pump, starter, batteries or the engine as a whole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t just continue to crank the truck pull one pipe completely loose from the intake manifold.. turn key on and off twice should start pump for filter refil when fuel comes out of that one put it back completely tight I usually start with the front one going to the back.. one at a time when u have fuel coming out of all of them u should try to crank it

I’ve actually had to block the pipe with my finger for it to start with deisel out of it I guess it can get vapor locked somehow

Just to clarify if fuel doesn’t come out first try turn the key on and off twice again u should hear the pump running don’t overheat the pump trying.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never heard of turning the key on and off twice to get the pump running. Mine, I just bump the starter, no engine start, and it runs for 30 seconds or so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well..another day failed to start. just got back in from another hour of trying to get it going. this time i bled in every place i could till i got good clean fuel. at the injectors i was getting a small stream from #1, #4 and #5 were getting pretty good fuel but it was foamy and a mix of spray/running out. still no fuel from #3. no matter how much i bumped or cranked or bled the fuel coming out of 4/5 was foamy. i then decided to throw on my stock IP and bleed from everywhere again. same situation. decent fuel from 4 and 5 but foamy, a little from 1 and none from #3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would check your fittings again on the suction side and be sure they are tight. It sounds like you are sucking air in somewhere with all the foamy fuel you are seeing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dripley said:

I would check your fittings again on the suction side and be sure they are tight. It sounds like you are sucking air in somewhere with all the foamy fuel you are seeing.

i checked them all when i had the raptor on there and then obviously when putting the stock LP on i made sure it was all tight, but it does seem like air is somehow getting sucked up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you don't have your lift pump hot wired when you're trying to start, you could probably hotwire it just to bleed the system, but when you're actually starting it you don't want full pressure maybe 6 7 PSI. Really if you have your system blead really well then you can just unplug power to lift pump to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t give up youll find it don’t forget to check the filter housing top make sure it’s sealed properly think it has a o ring on it.. i bypassed mine for airdog 2 micron so been a few years since I messed with the original one sucks your having so much trouble always turns out to be something stupid I was sure I did when I have these problems..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, snoogett said:

Don’t give up youll find it don’t forget to check the filter housing top make sure it’s sealed properly think it has a o ring on it.. i bypassed mine for airdog 2 micron so been a few years since I messed with the original one sucks your having so much trouble always turns out to be something stupid I was sure I did when I have these problems..

thanks for the support. ya ive checked. thats one place where i have even bled multiple times. i really dont know what to do from here. i mean, is it possible that the vp is shot? only code i have is for an overboost, which i always get for some reason, i dont even boost above 20psi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cumminsVP2001 said:

thanks for the support. ya ive checked. thats one place where i have even bled multiple times. i really dont know what to do from here. i mean, is it possible that the vp is shot? only code i have is for an overboost, which i always get for some reason, i dont even boost above 20psi. 

You must have a lite foot not to boost over 20 psi with the mods you have.

 

As far as the pump they can fail without a code but it is unusual. Did you ever try a shot of starter fluid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

On a class 8 truck I would give the fuel tank a little dose of shop air with the tank vents plugged which would give the fuel tank a little positive pressure which reveals fuel line leaks that cause the fuel pump to suck air.

 

There might be a way that you could pressurize the tank and try to bleed the air in the fuel system while looking for fuel leaks. I wouldn't go much over 3-4 psi of air in the fuel tank. Reading through this you state the fuel is foamy out of the VP which means you are sucking air before your lp or fuel level is below fuel pick up level.

Edited by 04Mach1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dripley said:

You must have a lite foot not to boost over 20 psi with the mods you have.

 

As far as the pump they can fail without a code but it is unusual. Did you ever try a shot of starter fluid?

lol no this isnt the truck in the description. this is my other 2001, its all stock... my baby in the description boosts 50-55

 

yes i did starter fluid. started the truck right up but unless i kept giving it a shot it would immediately die. 

4 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

On a class 8 truck I would give the fuel tank a little dose of shop air with the tank vents plugged which would give the fuel tank a little positive pressure which reveals fuel line leaks that cause the fuel pump to suck air.

 

There might be a way that you could pressurize the tank and try to bleed the air in the fuel system while looking for fuel leaks. I wouldn't go much over 3-4 psi of air in the fuel tank. Reading through this you state the fuel is foamy out of the VP which means you are sucking air before your lp or fuel level is below fuel pick up level.

thats the other thing is i literally have a tank on 'f' and if i bump the key or crank i dont get any leaking fuel anywhere if i close up the injector nuts

Edited by cumminsVP2001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cumminsVP2001 said:

lol no this isnt the truck in the description. this is my other 2001, its all stock... my baby in the description boosts 50-55

 

yes i did starter fluid. started the truck right up but unless i kept giving it a shot it would immediately die. 

thats the other thing is i literally have a tank on 'f' and if i bump the key or crank i dont get any leaking fuel anywhere if i close up the injector nuts

How much fuel line is between the fuel tank and the lift pump? The fuel line between lift pump and fuel tank is where you'll be sucking air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you have tried two vp44s and to lift pumps with the same results.  I wouldn't fool with them any more but look at hose, fittings and filter housing.  

 

Can you run a short fuel line from the fuel pump into a 1-2 gallon fuel can of diesel that's sitting up in the engine bay and try to start.  This way you by pass every thing but the lift pump, filter and vp44 and have the fuel gravity feed to the pump. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

How much fuel line is between the fuel tank and the lift pump? The fuel line between lift pump and fuel tank is where you'll be sucking air.

 

47 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

How much fuel line is between the fuel tank and the lift pump? The fuel line between lift pump and fuel tank is where you'll be sucking air.

but as it pulls fuel through the leak wont fuel come out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cumminsVP2001 said:

but as it pulls fuel through the leak wont fuel come out?

No. It is sucking air. Negative pressure from the pump sucking the fuel. If you pressurize that line it would leak outward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dripley said:

No. It is sucking air. Negative pressure from the pump sucking the fuel. If you pressurize that line it would leak outward.

aww i get it. i wasnt thinking.

32 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

So you have tried two vp44s and to lift pumps with the same results.  I wouldn't fool with them any more but look at hose, fittings and filter housing.  

 

Can you run a short fuel line from the fuel pump into a 1-2 gallon fuel can of diesel that's sitting up in the engine bay and try to start.  This way you by pass every thing but the lift pump, filter and vp44 and have the fuel gravity feed to the pump. 

i would have to get some kind of fitting that would attach into the back of the lift pump that has a barb so i can attach a hose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cumminsVP2001 said:

aww i get it. i wasnt thinking.

i would have to get some kind of fitting that would attach into the back of the lift pump that has a barb so i can attach a hose

Yeah air is lighter than liquid so with the negative pressure it will suck air first. The air is what is causing the foamy fuel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×