• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I Thought the Truck Looked Crooked From the Rear

And I found the reason.  

F9D5F7E4-6FDA-4FEF-AB7E-C59329B7150E.jpeg.731dd3e9f7047ae4560fbba97b652cbb.jpeg

Yay.  Another win for Minnesota winters.  

I thought the racket was just from stuff bouncing in the bed.   Nope.  

Im going to replace the passenger shackle as well.  

O that sucks, mine are starting to look pretty sad too. When I first bought my truck I took a hammer and whacked them and a few layers of rust come off. Then I put a coat of paint on there, but I think it's been long enough I might be changing them out before they let go.

• Owner

Man, that sucks big time. I know what the guys are talking about on the rusty bolts. All I can say is get out the hot knife and heat those up a few cycles and cool them to break the rust bond. The heat trick was past along to me by a old tyme mechanic that passed away. He handed me a rust bolt and nut. I tried to remove the nut from the bolt using any tools he had. Nope, Not happening. I hand it back to him. He heats the bolt up just before it turned red hot. Then quickly tossed it in ice cold water. When he picked it up out of the water then nut came off with his fingers. I've used this trick many times and 90% of the time it still works. It's based on the shock of the extreme heat to the extreme cold.

Make me want to get my truck out today and power wash the tail end and get those shackles painted them before they get like yours. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Man, that sucks big time. I know what the guys are talking about on the rusty bolts. All I can say is get out the hot knife and heat those up a few cycles and cool them to break the rust bond. The heat trick was past along to me by a old tyme mechanic that passed away. He handed me a rust bolt and nut. I tried to remove the nut from the bolt using any tools he had. Nope, Not happening. I hand it back to him. He heats the bolt up just before it turned red hot. Then quickly tossed it in ice cold water. When he picked it up out of the water then nut came off with his fingers. I've used this trick many times and 90% of the time it still works. It's based on the shock of the extreme heat to the extreme cold.

Make me want to get my truck out today and power wash the tail end and get those shackles painted them before they get like yours. 

this is the thing to get!

http://www.theinductor.com/induction-heating-products/mini-ductor/models/md-700-110v

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

Cool a new toy. I have my king pin & plate out now. When my brother got the truck new he installed it and never took the pin out. It is stuck solid. I have soaked it in PB blaster, map gassed it and sitting in a 6 ton press now. It has not budged.  That induction heated would get it out in no time I bet.

L8tr

D

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. :backtotopic:

Edited by SilverMoose

I've witnessed that invention about 30 years ago, my grandfather used to work at the steel factory and they had a thing that looks like a loop mounted to the wall and whatever you stick inside that Loop got white hot in matter of seconds,  but it was cool to the touch. I know because after he got done hitting up a piece of pipe he made me touch the loop, I was freaking out but sure enough it was cold. I believe that's also how new wireless chargers work for phones and random gadgets. 

46 minutes ago, dripley said:

That is pretty cool. But I could tell by the first picture that I would better off grabbing the buss bars in my electrical panel and seeing if I could melt the change in my pocket.

True story, I had a 9 volt battery in my pocket at work and all the sudden my leg got hot, though I was imagining it then it really got warm, I kinda freaked out because I forgot about the battery in the pocket, but yeah I also had some change in the same pocket. Guys I was with were laughing for a while cause I almost made a little dance pulling that hot battery out. Still get crap about once in a while.  

Ben, it took me a few seconds to process what I was looking at in that picture.  I first thought, why does he have old leather wrapped around the springs...

I think the auto manufacturing must contract with the salt/calcium chloride companies to ensure job security. :whistle2:

On 6/29/2018 at 3:48 PM, KATOOM said:

Ben, it took me a few seconds to process what I was looking at in that picture.  I first thought, why does he have old leather wrapped around the springs...

I think the auto manufacturing must contract with the salt/calcium chloride companies to ensure job security. :whistle2:

Lol. Yay Minnesota winters. 

4 hrs total for both sides. Only had to blue tip wrench one bolt. 

Truck actually sits higher in the rear now. The old school 70's Chevelle rake that I remember is back. 

On 6/29/2018 at 2:48 PM, KATOOM said:

I think the highway district and the glass companies do the same thing out here with the "chip sealing" projects they do every summer.  Oh look, suddenly thousands of cars need new windshields.  :shifty:

• Like 1