• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Map Light Repair & LED Lights for the interior

I had a couple of these laying around https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZBNBHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and replace the dome light and the map lights with them.

I also repaired the exploded springy map light switch in the truck today (a resent development) with the aid of some crazy glue and a zip tie for extra insurance.  I'm sure some of you have encountered that seemingly common failure.  Looks like the one on the driver's side already went through the process of fail and glue.  I added a zip tie to that one too.

I've been using these same LED light bulbs (link above) in something else for about a year and they have held up well.  Has anyone else tried out LED lights in their dome or map lights. 

I have one in my dome light, FP gauge & all exterior lights except fog & head.  Love them. I got a whole bag of them for all interior just got to get off my butt & install. I love the color & not too fond of the incandescent color.

I have one of those light switches to fix as well. I think that is some sort of right of passage for a 2nd gen owner. We all go through it.

L8tr

D

• Like 1

• Owner
8 hours ago, leety said:

I've been using these same LED light bulbs (link above) in something else for about a year and they have held up well

I've got of set of 3 LED bulbs in my bathroom of my Jayco RV. I know they are at least 4 years old. Super bright very low power consumption. 

What is really cool is my house is completely converted to LED household bulbs and I love going down to the inverter and looking at the house load in the evening it is floating 2-3 Amps. These are now heading into there 2nd year and still going. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got of set of 3 LED bulbs in my bathroom of my Jayco RV. I know they are at least 4 years old. Super bright very low power consumption. 

What is really cool is my house is completely converted to LED household bulbs and I love going down to the inverter and looking at the house load in the evening it is floating 2-3 Amps. These are now heading into there 2nd year and still going. 

I've got most if our house converted as well. Just waiting on cfl's to burn out. I love the daylight color as opposed to soft white which is too yellow.  Haven't done the rv yet

L8tr

D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Aside from the household ones,  they burn out way too early. And the package says last blah blah blah, I started to keep box and the receipt now.

Yea well quality control of items made in China by 6 year olds...  We get what we pay for.  And now for the most part you can't even find much of anything that domestically made, sadly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I swapped over to CFL's a good while back. During that process, Duke Energy decided to help everyone out and sent me a box full of them, at least 12 but maybe 16. I dont remember now. Anyway started picking up a couple LED light out of the discount bargain bin at Lowe's just to try them. I like them too. Next thing you Duke Energy sends me a box LED bulbs. Any body need any CFL's. I got plenty of them and still have not used all the LED's yet. I even put some LED's in for the florescent bulbs in the kitchen. Big improvement.

• Like 1

My overhead map lights broke way back in 2005 or something like that, never got around to fixing them, just haven’t seen a need for them but maybe this thread will get me motivated to fix them. 

I must be part vampire or something because I never cought on to the whole LED thing, even the wife started converting the house to LED lighting but both of us decided it’s just to bright and annoying and went back to standard old bulbs. We did buy an LED strip light for the RV awning but it comes with a dimmer so it makes it nice and bearable.

Even now in the long days of summer I find myself starting up the semi truck and starting the day at 2 a.m and getting a couple hundred miles in before the sun comes up, nothing but good old sealed beam glass halogen headlights for me .  :)

• Like 1

• Staff

I'm a contrarian.... I bought lifetime supply of incandescents. My electric bill is only averaging 100 a month. CFLs are a swear word and never disliked something so much. Sorry Dripley 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I'm a contrarian.... I bought lifetime supply of incandescents. My electric bill is only averaging 100 a month. CFLs are a swear word and never disliked something so much. Sorry Dripley 

I got a box full of them I can send you. They did take some getting used to. I like the LED's better, but I want pay $15 for one bulb. They aren't that good.

• Staff
11 hours ago, dripley said:

I got a box full of them I can send you. They did take some getting used to. I like the LED's better, but I want pay $15 for one bulb. They aren't that good.

Are you meaning that LEDS aren't that good at 15 bucks a piece?

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2018 at 1:10 PM, leety said:

I'm a big fan of LED's.  So far nothing but good outcomes with them.

Except their cost.  Its insulting to me that someone thinks I'd pay so much for an LED bulb.  I was kinda hoping that they'd get more reasonable in pricing by now but seemingly people are still gobbling them up at their high prices.

And LED's for residential lighting are strangely hit and miss.  Some work, some dont.  I installed some for my daughters ceiling fan the other day and they flickered bad enough to give you epilepsy.  Replaced with CFL bulbs and perfect.

Also, I'm not sure sure why people who camp at public camping facilities would ever bother to convert their RV/trailer to LED.  It'll cost you a couple hundred bucks at least..........and then you're going to plug into the camp outlet???  If you're boondocking then I could definitely understand, but even at that you only need a couple LED bulbs since there's no reason to turn on every light when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

Ah...just a little soapbox ranting. :neutral:

• Like 1

I went to led's in our RV even when using campground electric.  Reason was with an old style bulbs I accdently turned on my light when getting something out of my past thru compartment in our RV (daylight hours) and didn't  notice I turned on light.  Couple days later packing up to go, opened up compartment and plastic light cover was all melted and wood above light had sunburn marks.  

Not sure if that was normal for light to get that hot. Maybe a closed compartment makes a difference?  

• Like 1

Sounds like the wrong bulb was installed at some point.  I've seen some various plastic lenses distort when subject to both sun and a running hot bulb, but never hot enough to cause neighboring damage.  Thats HOT.

• Like 1

Not sure if right bilb was in there or not.  Pulled light assembly  out and got new along with led.  Don't remember size.   Showed wife melted light cover so she would be ok with replacing all lights with led.  My way of justifying spending that much?

She is retired building manager.  Hospital was going remodel a floor.  GE sent her to Cleavland and showed her how led,s and some tax perc's that a remodel with led's would pay for themselves over a certain amount of time.  Just the exit signs on 14 floors had big pay off.  

But at house I spend to get led's and I'm mad when one goes out way before it's time.  

Edited by 015point9
  • Like 2