• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel economy on iQuad

adamey1000

Can someone educate me on the fuel economy monitoring capabilities of the Quadzilla? I think that the gallon/trip is pretty self explanatory, but I don’t understand what the eco gauge is telling me. My truck did not have a mpg display originally, so I have always hand calculated just for curiosity. I have never recorded or tracked mileage other than a quick check at the filling station. I am curious about these features, as I am going to start playing with tunes and see how effecient I can make this monster. 

How accurate is the gallon/trip function? Can I rely on that data? It seems like it would be much more reliable and precise than the “pump until it clicks” meathod. 

What exactly is the eco gauge monitoring, and what does it tell us about fuel economy?

any advice on parameters to start with on building my own economy tune? 

Gallon/trip utilizes an offset percentage to compensate for your injector size.  Otherwise it is not accurate.  The eco gauge is instantaneous mpg based off of duration and I think a gpm calculation.  When they are dialed in, they are pretty accurate gauges. 

For parameters, your best fuel economy is going to be cruise timing around 22-23* or whatever your truck likes, and low fuel %.  Basically keep engine load % and EGT's as low as possible.

Edited by trreed
  • Thanks 1

With 7x.0085 injectors, what would an appropriate offset be? The default seems to be 90%, but I currently have it turned off. If the eco reading is an instantaneous mpg, then with my offset turned off, it must be way off! Mine reads in the 30-40 range most of the time unless I am hammering on it, and then it’ll drop down to around 12.  That is the source of my confusion. 

eco gauge is based purely off of the duration command related to injector size ( offset) to calc a MM3 worth of fuel per stroke of the vp44.   It uses tire size / gears / trans to calc mph then mm3 used at that point vs mph to give you mpg.  

It is pretty darn close if it is setup right.  

Ensure tire size is right, then set offiset to be ~%125 for 7 x .0085 

• Thanks 1

Are you using the true tire circumference for the tire size? Just curious if you are having to offset a little on the size like you had to with the Smarty. My tires are 265/75/16’s which should make my tire size 99.27”

"should" make is a big guess.  one tire makers 265/75/16 might be .25" taller than another, which = a good bit difference when you consider a mile of revs.   That's why the smarty isn't exact as well as the iquad app etc.  

Turn the gps on the phone one, get a speedo app, and adjust hte tire size in the iquad app until you are correct.

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

Being I'm using the level 7 part of my daily tune being about 0.75 to 1.00 gallons off doesn't bother me one bit. What is neat I can roughly math out my fuel mileage on the fly. look at the Quadzilla and at 1 gallon I should be at roughly 20 Miles. 2 gallons at 40 miles and on up. This is for aiming the 20 MPG mark. 

Level 3 I'm within about 0.1 to 0.2 of a gallon typically.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Is there any plan to add an average mpg gauge on the iQuad? I’m not a computer programmer so I have no idea if it is as easy as I think it is, but it seems that a running average of the eco would be pretty simple.

When using the 95.7” tire size, the iQuad matches my speedo. I will be downloading a speedo app to double check my truck, but since everything is stock in that regard it “should” be accurate. 

Any suggestion on a good speedo app?

Edited by adamey1000

I would suggest that the app side does an average over time rather than offloading to the box for it.  The ECO gauge needs a MM3 resolution to be accurate, when you consider that 40 gallons = 150000000 mm3  it bcomes hard to average that and send it across the bluetooth. 

• 2 weeks later...

I Just finished making a newer version of the average MPG file. I tested it only for around 30minutes so I don't have a lot of drive time on it right now. The only change is the addition of a new setting for resetting the MPG average and a new gauge to display the MPG average. It relies on the MPG offset setting being correct for it to work but it should be pretty darn close if that is set properly. 

http://quadzillatech.com/TunesDownloads/V2Tunes/ADR9802v2.8.2.exe

I will upload here to the site in a few minutes as well. 

It starts out reacting very quickly then slowly starts to react less and less to changes in MPG. It will take a lot of driving before it will even out and stop changing nearly as often. 

To reset it, toggle the reset setting on and off. If you do not have your MPG offset set correctly I would take the following steps. 

1. Set MPG offset to 100%

2. After a fill up of fuel, toggle the MPG offset off/on to reset the gallons per trip used. 

3. Run about a tank of fuel then compare the calculated versus the actual. Take ("actual gallons"/"calculated gallons used" x 100) and set that as the MPG offset. 

4. Immediately after the fill up, toggle the MPG offset again, and toggle the MPG average reset on/off to reset everything. Do the test again. It will take more than a single tank of fuel to get the average to settle out where it should end up, but after a few tanks of fuel it should be pretty close and stop moving around as much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Me78569 you will always be the Quadzilla guy :thumbup2:.

@Mopar1973Man I'm counting on you putting some miles on this baby! 

By the way, I just made one more update (i've only done 4 today). 

http://quadzillatech.com/TunesDownloads/V2Tunes/ADR9802v2.8.3.exe

The last version would get to the point where the average would just not update any longer. This one will always update.