• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel economy on iQuad

adamey1000

It seems like the filtering may be the issue with @Mopar1973Man‘s mpg. I assume that since the extended idle was earlier in the data set, it carries a much greater weight in the average. 

Is is it possible to do just a straight average of the eco with no filtering? I know that the gauge would jump bigger swings, but I assume that it would still eventually settle as the data increases. 

That's the issue right there. A low pass filter is honestly the same thing as an averager. The thing is that all fuel consumption at any given time has the same weight. For example, while @Mopar1973Man is sitting in his truck idling he is using very little fuel, but he is effectively getting 0 MPG, when he is driving down the road cruising at 27mpg, he is using more fuel but it carries the same weight as a little fuel. So if you were to take some snap shots of the fuel consumption, you would see something like this (although much more frequently and with real numbers, not stuff I'm just making up for an example)

MPG - Fuel Used - Running Average -  Miles Travelled

0    -   0.1    -    0    -    0

28  -   4.5    -    4.67 -  112 

In this scenario, the actual MPG would be closer to 24.888 but because each sample has the same exact weight the total MPG is skewed way low (4.67). The same issue is happening when you're coasting using very little fuel but the sample carries the same weight as a sample using a lot of fuel. 

Well, I think I'm coming closer to figuring out how to fix the issue. 

• Like 2

OK, I think I got it fixed. I had to redesign the whole thing from the ground up (just the average MPG stuff), but it should be better. I tried testing it on our truck here but the speed sensor shows roughly 1/2 of reality so it was very low. Try it out and see if this is better. 

http://quadzillatech.com/TunesDownloads/V2Tunes/ADR9802v2.8.4.exe

• Thanks 1

• Owner

@Quadzilla Power is there any way to change the tire size to zero for pass through. Still even on my truck my speedometer is dead on, OBDII speed is dead on but Quadzilla is -1 MPH always. You might check but 245s and 215 tire are smaller than your minimum.

95.4" 215/85 R16

95.7" 245/75 R16

Just be aware... The one-ton trucks ran 215's for few years. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

One issue I am having with the new update, is the gallon trip and the average reset every time I start the truck. I am not sure if it something in the settings, or if it is the programming. On a fishing trip this weekend, the box forgot my previous level setting and was set to 0 after warm up. I have left it on three, so that was curious. It does look like this MPG average is much closer, but it is just based on trips, not a running average of the tank. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like i will get much good information from this tank since the gallon trip keeps resetting to 0. 

• Owner
18 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

Hey Mike, 

Set the tire size to 95.7 for pass-through of the speedo. 

Already done that but still incorrect value between the GPS and the dash gauge the Quadzilla is always -1 MPH off. Dash will show 65 MPH with the GPS at 65 MPH but the Quadzilla shows 64 MPH.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

On 8/6/2018 at 11:09 AM, Quadzilla Power said:

Yep, what Me78569 said. Check the power connections, it sounds like its losing power when the ignition is off. 

I have looked at my connections, and cant find anything loose. It has been remembering my last power level, but not storing the mileage information. I have been leaving the level on different settings when i shut down to check that it remembers. 

The mpg seems to be pretty good, but since it has been resetting, i cant get a long term average or check the gallon trip. I will look all the connections over again tonight. I have my power wire connected to the hot leg of the fuse block under the hood, rather than the battery. any reason that could be an issue?

That is different isn't it. Not losing power level says that you should have a good power and ground connection (hot part of the fuse block is fine in that case). 

However, it is weird that you are getting your MPG stuff reset all the time. What is the status of your MPG Offset and AVG MPG reset settings in the settings? Are they both set to ON or OFF? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 1:29 PM, Quadzilla Power said:

That is different isn't it. Not losing power level says that you should have a good power and ground connection (hot part of the fuse block is fine in that case). 

However, it is weird that you are getting your MPG stuff reset all the time. What is the status of your MPG Offset and AVG MPG reset settings in the settings? Are they both set to ON or OFF? 

sorry for the delayed response, work has been crazy! offset and AVG reset are both turned on. I just re-flashed the box a few minutes ago, so i will report any changes. it did take several tries before the flash software recognized the box was connected, so hopefully that is not a problem.

Data logs have been pretty much useless, so i have not been saving them.