• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is it me, or do I see more Duramaxes running away than other diesel vehicles??

I saw a video the other day thats been going around on Instagram, of a single cab newer Duramax running away and I got to thinking..... That is the 5th video I've seen of a duramax running away and blowing itself up in the last 6 months or so and I havent seen a Cummins (unless someone was tuning a VE) or a PowerJoke run away and grenade itself. Is this starting to be a common problem with them? Are the Borg Warners that they use a bad turbo? What do you guys think? I just see it as another reason to NOT buy one and another vehicle to Cummins swap. :thumb1:

I know he video you’re talking about, pretty sure I saw a reply in the comments from a chick who was there that said they had put a brick on the pedal (yea, seriously) and ‘somehow’ the doors locked and then insert said video. 

7 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I know he video you’re talking about, pretty sure I saw a reply in the comments from a chick who was there that said they had put a brick on the pedal (yea, seriously) and ‘somehow’ the doors locked and then insert said video. 

Wait so it wasnt a run away?? And if said brick was in place, what the heck did they do that?!?!?! Wasnt he trying to sell it to them??? There are so many unknowns that dont make sense.....

10 minutes ago, notlimah said:

That’s what I read lol. No clue how true it is or why they were doing what they were doing but yea lol

Honestly I'm still gonna roll with the runaway story, sounds more plausible than, "Oh yeah we put a brick on the pedal for no reason and locked the doors to blow it up." My guess is maybe (since it seems hes selling it) he locked it, walked up and introduced himself, then showed them the truck, and maybe then proceeded to show them how the remote starts, it starts and runs away. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there but imo that brick story makes absolutely 0 sense.

1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

They got to use the brick and locked story to hide what a leaky turbo it is.

Or as they say at the beer counter, ''what a piece of sit it is'' Right Dripley?

I dont know about hiding it, seemed to show its nasty head when it ran off and blew up :lol:

As a victim of a true runaway on a Cummins 855 many years ago that I was able to save, it is a terrifying experience. A stuck or floored throttle is not bad because they all have governors to limit the RPMs  and can be killed by turning off the power. When there is a true runaway you cant stop the fuel flow or limit the RPM and in my case it was engine oil from a failed turbo that was fueling it. The only thing that saved mine was it had a compression release on the motor that opened all the exhaust valves. Years ago all of the over the road trucks had some sort of emergence shut down device but it appears that that is a thing of the past. Just as a side note when my turbo failed it never gave be any indication that it was going until the instant it went.( at the bottom of a hill I put my foot in it and in about 30 sec. the turbo made a different noise so I let up in it and the fully loaded truck gained more power then it ever had and was still accelerated even when I turned it off).  I have seen emergency shut dows  for the 5.9s but they are pricey and I have been saving for one.

2 minutes ago, Nekkedbob said:

As a victim of a true runaway on a Cummins 855 many years ago that I was able to save, it is a terrifying experience. A stuck or floored throttle is not bad because they all have governors to limit the RPMs  and can be killed by turning off the power. When there is a true runaway you cant stop the fuel flow or limit the RPM and in my case it was engine oil from a failed turbo that was fueling it. The only thing that saved mine was it had a compression release on the motor that opened all the exhaust valves. Years ago all of the over the road trucks had some sort of emergence shut down device but it appears that that is a thing of the past. Just as a side note when my turbo failed it never gave be any indication that it was going until the instant it went.( at the bottom of a hill I put my foot in it and in about 30 sec. the turbo made a different noise so I let up in it and the fully loaded truck gained more power then it ever had and was still accelerated even when I turned it off).  I have seen emergency shut dows  for the 5.9s but they are pricey and I have been saving for one.

I've seen $4k for them. I've heard if you buy a mini bottle of CO2 and plum it into the intake it'll kill it. Thinking about trying that myself.

1 minute ago, Nekkedbob said:

That might work but you have to remember that there is a large amount of air that goes through these engines that you would have to displace to kill it.

I mean on a light duty truck like ours (assuming you have a 2nd gen like most of us) it might work, but it could be just enough to lower the rpm and be able to get out and throw something on the turbo

Guest 04Mach1

Most common cause of engine run aways is failed injectors on modern Common Rail, EGR diesel engines. They run away because injectors over fuel when they fail causing fuel pooling in the EGR cooler and a multi gallon supply of diesel fuel eventually gets introduced to the intake manifold causing a run away. 

Common injector failures on modern high pressure common rail fuel systems in pictures below. These injectors came out of a 2013 Detroit Diesel DD15 that experienced run away caused by fuel pooling in the EGR cooler caused by 3 bad injectors. It was a $50,000 repair to get the engine running again.

MVIMG_20180503_152203.jpg.acb3d6bb83764bd71890c795f7a365ae.jpg

MVIMG_20180503_152214.jpg

MVIMG_20180503_152223.jpg

IMG_20180509_085032.jpg

MVIMG_20180510_124646.jpg

Edited by 04Mach1

10 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

Most common cause of engine run aways is failed injectors on modern Common Rail, EGR diesel engines. They run away because injectors over fuel when they fail causing fuel pooling in the EGR cooler and a multi gallon supply of diesel fuel eventually gets introduced to the intake manifold causing a run away. 

Common injector failures on modern high pressure common rail fuel systems in pictures below. These injectors came out of a 2013 Detroit Diesel DD15 that experienced run away caused by fuel pooling in the EGR cooler caused by 3 bad injectors. It was a $50,000 repair to get the engine running again.

MVIMG_20180503_152203.jpg.acb3d6bb83764bd71890c795f7a365ae.jpg

MVIMG_20180503_152214.jpg

MVIMG_20180503_152223.jpg

IMG_20180509_085032.jpg

MVIMG_20180510_124646.jpg

Holy cow!! I agree with @notlimah those are destroyed! So what you're saying is theres even more reason to delete a truck! Correct....?

Guest 04Mach1
6 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Holy crap! Those are some destroyed injectors! How many miles/hours were on them?

Injectors had about 450,000 miles. Engine had 1,062,000 miles.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

Holy cow!! I agree with @notlimah those are destroyed! So what you're saying is theres even more reason to delete a truck! Correct....?

Deleted would have possibly prevented run away but injectors would have likely failed the same. Just the nature of High Pressure Common Rail fuel systems. I've pulled some bad looking injectors out the ISB 5.9 and ISB 6.7 engines too. 

1 minute ago, 04Mach1 said:

Injectors had about 450,000 miles. Engine had 1,062,000 miles.

Deleted would have possibly prevented run away but injectors would have likely failed the same. Just the nature of High Pressure Common Rail fuel systems. I've pulled some bad looking injectors out the ISB 5.9 and ISB 6.7 engines too. 

Yeah those CR injectors are junk. My dad replaced his 03 injectors at 170k and I've heard of them going out way before that as well. As for my 01, my new motor I put in it had the original OEM injectors in it that had 200k on them till I opted for 100hp because the motor had been sitting for awhile before I found it and I'm pretty sure they were on their way out. Thats a story for another day...