• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AC compressor

I replaced my compressor today. Been working fine at idle on the job. But drive at rpm for quarter mile and the cold air goes away. Pretty much figured the clutch was shot and slipping since the clutch could not keep up with engine rpm after a short drive. Never made any funny noises and worked fine parked. Took the old one off today and here is what it looked like.20180630_193841.jpg.47644db424b0dbb1dce5409df09f5487.jpg

A touch off center don't you hink. Plus it was leaking some oil which that I  attributed to the engine. Anyway I drained the oil from this one and got an oz and a half maybe. Wish there was a dipstick for situation.

Guest 04Mach1
1 hour ago, dripley said:

I replaced my compressor today. Been working fine at idle on the job. But drive at rpm for quarter mile and the cold air goes away. Pretty much figured the clutch was shot and slipping since the clutch could not keep up with engine rpm after a short drive. Never made any funny noises and worked fine parked. Took the old one off today and here is what it looked like.20180630_193841.jpg.47644db424b0dbb1dce5409df09f5487.jpg

A touch off center don't you hink. Plus it was leaking some oil which that I  attributed to the engine. Anyway I drained the oil from this one and got an oz and a half maybe. Wish there was a dipstick for situation.

At least the pulley stayed on and didn't seize. 

35 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

At least the pulley stayed on and didn't seize. 

that is what blows my mind. No noise, nothing. worked fine at idle and cooled great. Even after dirving and I lost the cooling you could open the hood and watch try and spin, like the clutch was just slipping. After trying to pull the clutch to remove a shim last week I noticed it did not look centered and ordered a new compressor. Its working fine for now while driving and idleling.

• Staff
2 hours ago, dripley said:

that is what blows my mind. No noise, nothing. worked fine at idle and cooled great. Even after dirving and I lost the cooling you could open the hood and watch try and spin, like the clutch was just slipping. After trying to pull the clutch to remove a shim last week I noticed it did not look centered and ordered a new compressor. Its working fine for now while driving and idleling.

So are you saying you put on a non A/C length serpentine to get you by for now?

That's cool you caught that before any problems on the road. Looks like just in the nick of time. No pun intended Nick as I know how long it taking for your new truck .:duh:

I think if I had waited on Dodge I would be melted like a marsh mellow. 

I did install a new compressor today. I was surprised at how far out of center the old clutch was compared to the old compressor and why it did not do something weird. It did loose oil but never gave a bad sign that it was shot. Lack of cooling over idle was a sign but I thought it was just the clutch slipping and not the compressor failing.  Duh HuH....

Also a new compressor and no delete on the serpentine belt