• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The Future of Trucks

Me78569

• 4 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 4:21 PM, Me78569 said:

It's coming, the last race the plaid was ~6000#, compared to the 3100# mclaren......that in itself is shocking that it could still win.  

I need a plaid.....

We can get the rare earth minerals from Afghanistan to build the batteries , oh wait.........

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, dripley said:

One thing I don't like about the EV's is they don't have to pay any road taxes, but that will change when they catch on.  After all we  all use the same roads. Got to maintain them.

Not to mention how heavy they are and hard on the road.....it seems here in MN they might finally be getting around to some sort of tax for EV's....but likely will also double dip by applying the millage tax to ICE as well (as you still pay gas tax).

1 hour ago, PilotHouse2500 said:

Not to mention how heavy they are and hard on the road.....it seems here in MN they might finally be getting around to some sort of tax for EV's....but likely will also double dip by applying the millage tax to ICE as well (as you still pay gas tax).

Not sure I follow on this one? 

The awd model 3 with long range batteries is right at 4,000#   A upper model legacy is over 3700# and a buick envision over 3900#     

curious to see more information on road damage of EV vs ICE.

They need to figure out taxes for EV without a doubt, roads are not going to get any better with less money due to less fuel being bought.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, Me78569 said:

Not sure I follow on this one? 

The awd model 3 with long range batteries is right at 4,000#   A upper model legacy is over 3700# and a buick envision over 3900#     

curious to see more information on road damage of EV vs ICE.

They need to figure out taxes for EV without a doubt, roads are not going to get any better with less money due to less fuel being bought.

granted its CNN....but mass is mass

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/07/business/electric-vehicles-weight/index.html

• Owner

Take the GMC Hummer EV, for instance. The Edition 1 version, which has lots of batteries for additional driving range and power, weighs over 9,000 pounds. That's roughly three times the weight of a Honda Civic.

Heck I just scaled Thor on Monday it scaled out at 8,800 pound with all my tools and toolboxes. At least Thor is carrying the weight of tools and stuff that allows me to do my job. Now a 9,000 pound Hummer that can't really haul anything thing because of its mass and weight more you drop in of cargo the less the batteries are going hold up and shorten its travel time just like more weight I put in Thor the more its going to reduce MPG. Mass is Mass... This why I'm glad I got my trans back for Beast and going to go back to my ECO-Diesel. Beast is mere 7,300 pounds and ranging 24 to 28 MPG now. 

that ev hummer is a pig, there is no need for it to be 9000#   its a dumb vehicle just like the H2 and h3 were dumb.    comparing the hummer ev to a work truck is like comparing a kia to a rally car.  

Looks like on average the ev's model to model vs the ice at ~%10-%20 heavier.  i would have to think that is from the battery.  Curb weight in an ICE does not include fuel so that can alter the difference depending on size of tank etc, but as battery density increases we will see those weight numbers drop.

on average battery density appears to be increasing at %5-%8 a year.  however the push and $$ put towards increasing battery density is rapidly growning so we will have to see where that leads.   

it's coming..