• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The Future of Trucks

Me78569

Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicles SHOULD be the future but probably won't. 

Unfortunately the EPA/US Government owns the licensing and is down right impossible to work with.  Add to that Congress is pushing electric vehicles with tax breaks for development, production, and purchase with ZERO dollars going to HHV (or any other non electric/battery development) ... this working, affordable, light weight, REAL, CURRENT technology may never see the light of day.  Not to mention, HHV's can work WITH electric vehicles to extend range and performance.  (insert crazy conspiracy theory here)

I am working in Maryland. About 14 years ago I built 6 CFA s up here then and saw alot buses and other city and county truck using CNG. They all had signs on them advertising the fact. Fast forward to the one I am doing and I dont see them. did little searching and it seems that it has not spread out of the areas I worked last which was around Baltimore and on the west side in the Germantown and Rockville area on the northwest side of DC. A search of CNG stations had them pretty limited to those areas. I was a bit surprised that it had not spread more in the years since I was last here. Must be a reason.

back in 2013 or so when diesel prices were well above 4,00 a gallon , CNG was gaining popularity and a few stations sprouted up along the I 70 corridor from Grand junction, Parachute and the Vail area. I haven't really noticed lately if they are still in existence, When the price of oil dropped, and you could get diesel for cheaper than CNG, the CNG use sort of faded out. at least on the public side, I'm sure they still have stations in the in metro areas of Denver and such 

14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just for fun I still live in an area without cell service for miles.

I still have to drive 20 miles before I get cell service

• Owner
16 hours ago, KATOOM said:

"It is based on the Atkinson-cycle engine developed in 1882."  So.....the future of diesel is from 136 year old technology?  Irony...

https://www.trucks.com/2017/10/03/cummins-achates-advanced-tech-military-diesel-engine/

I would be awesome design but as long as the fuel system is not common rail. There I can see piston ring and cylinder failure quite quickly.

• Owner

Purely on cost of operation. Being the amount of CR engine I deal with now and the amount of people parking their trucks them because they can't afford the $3000 for injectors. I've got 3 truck in the area all with injector issues and owners can't afford the replacement. One owner I've warned several times with the grid heater light on he's now getting a build up of blow by. I continue to hear the same thing he can't afford the injectors. Economy and incomes out here are much much lower than you think. 

2 hours ago, KATOOM said:

I just want to say that there hasn't been a stage of my life where environmentalism hasn't made everything a lot less fun and a lot more expensive..... :rolleyes:

CR Cummins... Just for stock Bosch Injectors. ($3,228.00 - Stock Bosch)

https://smartyresource.com/store/product/65-new-045-07-stock-bosch-injectors/

24V Cummins... I could replace my injectors every 100k miles and by the time I hit a million miles, I would spend the same amount as a CR engine at 100k miles for one set of injectors. ($349.00 - 7 x 0.0085 +75 HP injectors)

https://www.dieselautopower.com/diesel-auto-power-75hp-aftermarket-performance-injectors-7x0-0085-vco-vp7x85vcoa

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I promise Electric is fun

Dont be so quick to judge...  Take a look at this other video where they test a Tesla race car GT P100DL.  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6nlrmm

Also, its important to understand that they reduced the weight of the car by 1000 lbs and the ambient temperatures were in the mid 80's.  The driver/reporter was doing his part by giving the car all the props he could by talking it up continuously.  But...a couple laps around the track and the brakes were HOT due to insane weight of the batteries, and the car falls into limp mode due to the battery temperature being too hot.  This is supposed to be a RACE CAR too.....!!!

I'm not down on electric.....but I certainly am not going to ignore the fact that the technology has YEARS to go before it can stand up to the pedestal some people try to hold it up to.  Personally I feel that if the "environmental" movement wasn't as strong as it is, I dont think EV technology would be anywhere as far as it is.

• Owner

Last tidbit I read on Pirus the average distance the car can run on battery alone is only 11 miles on average if the batteries are top notch. I would even make it to the closest town of Riggins, ID its 15 miles and New Meadows, ID is 20 miles away with gain in elevation of 1,000 feet from home to the town.

Like Nick post about racing quarter mile is sure impressive for speed. Now distance travelled on a single charge is well rather pathetic. So now if it could make it to town be charged up again and load it with groceries and haul home it would struggle to make it back because of added weight. When I stock up I stock up big. I hate running back and forth a bunch of times.

I'm not down with electric anything. 

@KATOOMI agree, thats why I said within the next decade I think we will be ready.  It takes a lot of failures to get things worked out.  however the VW peak car blowing the peak record out of the water is impressive. 16 seconds faster than the previous record.

@mopar1973man 

Tesla s has 300 + mile range

Base Tesla 3 has a 220 mile range

Mitsibish i-meiv has a 100 mile range

Kia soul has a 111 mile range

BMW i3 has a 114 mile range

Hyundai Ioniq has a 124 mile range

ford focus 115 mile

chevy bolt 237 mile range Currently allows for 30 minute DC fast charge of 90 miles.
golf e range 125 miles

nissain leaf 125 mile range

For %90 of the population that is more than they drive daily. again not a 1 size fits all, not claiming it is. but 11 mile range is not the norm for a pure electric.  The prius is a gas / electric so they are not worried about pure EV range.  Applies to oranges.

Edited by Me78569

I bet a similar argument went on years ago as gas powered vehicles were rivaling the horse and buggy. Gas powered cars couldn't go far, there wasn't infrastructure to fill up everywhere, the cars where limited to where they could travel.  Gas powered vehicles one day will be replaced by something else.  Electric vehicles have come a long way, and they will continue to change and develop into much more than they currently are. 

• Owner

I'm talking strict battery alone distance no fueled engine. I know that strictly EV vehicle are illegal to be sold here in the US being there is a completely different story in other countries. When I was poking around for information on Toyota Prius and distance travel strictly on battery I was totally shocked I figured they had more distance. I was studying about the Prius batteries and design. That where I found that 11 miles note but now I can't find it again. 

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm talking strict battery alone distance no fueled engine.

The Prius is a hybrid, not an electric vehicle. 

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I know that strictly EV vehicle are illegal to be sold here in the US being there is a completely different story in other countries. 

I'm pretty sure there are 100% electric vehicles being sold and driven in the US. 

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

When I was poking around for information on Toyota Prius and distance travel strictly on battery I was totally shocked I figured they had more distance. I was studying about the Prius batteries and design. That where I found that 11 miles note but now I can't find it again. 

Since it's a hybrid it won't have a big range, since it will recharge itself with the engine, or use it as needed for added power. 

• Owner
7 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I'm pretty sure there are 100% electric vehicles being sold and driven in the US. 

This must of change since my last time I look into to this about 2 to 3 years ago. I know the Prius is not a pure electric car I see then so damn much down around Boise - Ontario area. That why I start to read about them a bit. Like I said last time I really studied deep on the batteries on them I was finding two different models pure electric sold in the EU and gas/electric hybrid in the US. 

5 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

every one of the ones I listed is purely electric and for sale in the USA

Where could I find one of these pure electric cars to even look at? Seems like when I go even into town pick up stuff from the local shop see the same ol' gas/electric hybrids never seen a pure electric vehicle yet. 

I'm willing to go out and learn and at least go look at one to understand. Being I'm down in Ontario, OR all the time. 

Go look at the Chevy Bolt if you want to look at one.   That is a pretty well vetted setup for city use.  I dont know if your area will have any.  Boise is the only dealer that has them near you.  

Hybrid setups are dumb and put forth for tree huggers haha.  

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Where could I find one of these pure electric cars to even look at? Seems like when I go even into town pick up stuff from the local shop see the same ol' gas/electric hybrids never seen a pure electric vehicle yet. 

I'll bet you just haven't noticed them, as they don't look different than any other new car out there. 

I've seen more than I figured here in Boise. 

I've seen a ton of them recently as well.   Tesla finally hit the 5k per week production.  You are going to start to see a flood of them hit the roads, last time I checked Tesla was backlogged 5 months with existing orders.  

At the current rate that is 100,000 units in 5 months that are already sold.  

Edited by Me78569