• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The Future of Trucks

Me78569

• Owner
9 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I'll bet you just haven't noticed them, as they don't look different than any other new car out there. 

Most likely. But on my travel of US-95 back and forth I see more diesel pickups and the new Ford pickups. :shrug:

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Riddle me this...  If EV's are so popular.....then why can you still get credits upward of $10,000+ towards the purchase of a EV???  Again, I'm not being down on EV's but merely excepting the FACTS that they're inconvenient and limited.  Otherwise they wouldnt have to give you a third of the car back in credits.

They dont save very much either when you calculate the everything involved in owning an EV verses a combustion vehicle, and lets be honest by admitting that the "hype" is whats truly driving (no pun) this whole movement.

Again...again, I'm not against EV's but merely stating that me having one would be completely pointless.  It would literally serve no purpose except cost me more money because of how my electric bill is calculated.  I'd have to make sure that I plugged it in ONLY during the later evening otherwise my gross kW costs would become counterproductive.

That said.....  Anyone who's actually ridden in a Prius has to admit that its one of the worst experiences ever.  The noise of the tiny rear engine constantly cycling to keep up with energy usage is almost comical. :lmao:

Edited by KATOOM

lol the chevy bolt has a longer powertrain warranty then the cummins :lmao:8 year 100,000 vs 5 year 100,000 

feds are offering 7.5k credit and colorado is offering 5k credit.....Man I hate that but wow if my tax dollars are paying for it I  might have to use it :doh:

@KATOOM  Did you calculate plugging it in at work rather than the house?  :lmao:  big savings  once you get the 400' extension cord

Edited by Me78569

Another variable (BIG VARIABLE) which no one is talking about is the electrical grid infrastructure.  It simply cant handle the number of EV's and has already caused major problems for high density areas.  Imagine if everyone today drove home a shiny new EV.  The grid system would collapse tomorrow.....

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

the cost in terms of only fuel vs paying the power bill for to and from work 5 days a week 

The focus gets right at 20 mpg city to and from work.  10 miles each way -> 20 miles a day total

$ per KWH is at 0.09 here in colorado springs gas is at 3.25 right now.  the volt is right at 30 kwh per 100 miles

1 gallon of gas per day for the focus x 5 days a week x 4 = ~$64 a month on fuel

6 kwh per day for 20 miles X .09 x5 days a week x 4 weeks a month = ~$11 a month for power.

additional costs are unknown in terms of winter kwh per mile etc. but with power so cheap near me there is a lot of room to grow before hitting gas cost per gallon.

the grid can't handle it.  but the electrical need of the USA is climbing at a rate that the grid is already struggling to keep up with. 

Edited by Me78569

• Staff
48 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

I'd have to make sure that I plugged it in ONLY during the later evening otherwise my gross kW costs would become counterproductive.

Many of the EV's are programmable to charge during off-peak hours.

33 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

In front of the county office in Rifle Colorado there are a couple ev charging stations. Do you put money in them? Doesn’t look like it to me. Wondering who pays for that?

Given how much Colorado is trying to shove an EV into your garage... Its probably payed for by tax dollars.

2 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

lol  I can see it now, pull into a charging station, and different grades of charging... price depending... You want regular charge...mid grade charge ...or the premium extended range charge..  :lmao:

Guaran - fricken - teed..... THIS :popcorn:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dripley said:

Like to see how they do road taxes. Or do we just need to drive more and buy more fuel?

I am sure the gubment will find a " fair and reasonable" manner to tax the shorts off ev stuff lol.

• Like 1

They already have...  Its called "taxed per mile", and they're already running test programs in CA before attempting to push it through.

Yes, imagine that, environmentalism emissions force regulations which demand higher fuel mileage out of vehicles.  Environmentalism also claims that EV's are the better future because they dont use carbon fuels.  Well at least not at the pump...  Maybe to assemble, mine, manufacture, etc...  But just not at the pump.

This all means people are going to be using less fuel...  So how does the government get their fuel tax money?  Well they fix the problem by charging a tax on the mileage you drive.

The problem they're going to run into though is how will they monitor your mileage.  Will they rely on your "honesty" or will they require cars in the future to be "smart" giving a third party the ability to monitor.  This is also a problem as older cars wont have any any such technology.  Again, creating cars which keep you keeping up with the Jones's is critical in making sure we all look to the future for our goodies.

I'll just stop there.....but do understand that your legislators (ALL LEGISLATORS) are always looking for ways to get your money.  And if CA implements a tax per mile program due to the influx of EV's then you can bet your sweet pants that other states will be quick to follow. 

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KATOOM said:

I'll just stop there.....but do understand that your legislators (ALL LEGISLATORS) are always looking for ways to get your money. 

But isn't that a legitimate problem that our legislators are facing?  I know we like to paint the tax collectors as the boogie men, but we live in a community with a social contract to all pitch in to make we have roads and infrastructure that will make our collective lives better.  Every state is facing problems where fewer tax dollars are coming in from gas taxes.  Cars and trucks get much better mileage than years ago.  However, the need to maintain and repair road as well as build them continues.  Who else is going to fund this.  People complain about how much they pay in taxes and then also complain about how crappy the roads are. 

I don't get excited each time I pay a tax, but it is necessary.  As cars become more fuel efficient, or not dependent on fuel at all there has to continue to be a way for a state to fund road maintenance.  This is certainly going to require other avenues to tax the citizens.  Recently in our state, legislatures have looked at the tax per mile idea or other ways to tax electric vehicles, because they use the roads, but are not paying for road repairs through buying gasoline.  It was a big debate.  The optics of it drove a lot of people crazy as the world tries to become more environmentally friendly, legislatures didn't want to start taxing electric cars and unintentionally dissuade people from buying these gas free cars. 

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should love paying taxes.  I'm happy to pay my share, but I don't want to pay anymore than I have to.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hawkez said:

But isn't that a legitimate problem that our legislators are facing?  I know we like to paint the tax collectors as the boogie men, but we live in a community with a social contract to all pitch in to make we have roads and infrastructure that will make our collective lives better.  Every state is facing problems where fewer tax dollars are coming in from gas taxes.  Cars and trucks get much better mileage than years ago.  However, the need to maintain and repair road as well as build them continues.  Who else is going to fund this.  People complain about how much they pay in taxes and then also complain about how crappy the roads are. 

I don't get excited each time I pay a tax, but it is necessary.  As cars become more fuel efficient, or not dependent on fuel at all there has to continue to be a way for a state to fund road maintenance.  This is certainly going to require other avenues to tax the citizens.  Recently in our state, legislatures have looked at the tax per mile idea or other ways to tax electric vehicles, because they use the roads, but are not paying for road repairs through buying gasoline.  It was a big debate.  The optics of it drove a lot of people crazy as the world tries to become more environmentally friendly, legislatures didn't want to start taxing electric cars and unintentionally dissuade people from buying these gas free cars. 

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should love paying taxes.  I'm happy to pay my share, but I don't want to pay anymore than I have to.

Agreed Hawkez, but who determines whats an appropriate "fair share".  I'm self employed so I pay almost 50% of my income in taxes.  Is 50% enough of my money or do the legislators need 60% - 75%...of my livelihood?

And short term memory loss seems to be the demise of voters too since everyone has a hard time remember the last time you voted in new taxes to fix the roads, increase police security, hire more firemen for your safety, etc, etc...  But every couple election cycles, low and behold, there's more propositions to further raise your social service taxes in order to pay for the very things you voted to fix last time...and the time before that.  Even though they're still not fixed.  Is anyone OK with this???

Sorry but I'm done paying my fair share.  I want the taxes I already shell out to cover the services we already agreed to.  If they dont have enough money then how about they stop giving illegals free stuff and cut off the welfare give away programs for those who dont care to work for anything.

• Like 1

Some days I ust want to go back to sleep and eat my cinnamon rolls and be happy not knowing about all the things that are going on in this world. 

On the other note, I know someone that had the Tesla for the last 3 years, they have about 60k on it now and halfway through second set of tires, other than that they get about 300 + range. They did say it got a little worse than when it was new. There are free charge stations around where we live and they have a Tesla logo on them. That's all I know

Edit,  oh yeah and the thing is fast not sure on top speed but on takeoffs it's pretty cool

Edited by Dieselfuture

I know I can get kinda sweaty about some of this stuff, so.....let me just take a second to say that I think highly of most every members opinions.  Lots of good hearted intelligent people here, and to have such discussions in a civil manner is rare.  Thank you. :thumb1:

• Like 1