• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The Future of Trucks

Me78569

56 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Is that yours

Yes, my daily driver for the log woods for years, now just a toy. 1975 F-250 w/428, C6 w/low gear kit, NP203, Dana 44 HD front w/limited slip, 14 bolt GM rear with limited slip, 4.88 gears. I need 5.38's or more power, lol.

• Like 3

• Staff

A good launch right down town with all the chicks (no not chickens Dripley) stop to take a look. That moment when it presses you into your seat and the front lifts, hang on for dear life, while the sound of your machine has priority above everything else. 

There's nothing like it.

Edited by JAG1

14 hours ago, Killer223 said:

by the time the electric vehicle is here, they'll have outlawed driving for "safety" reasons.

I think it may be coming sooner than later. Their testing these self driving cars everywhere now. I guess they'll start with big cities to cut traffic. So it'll be like a cab but no driver, no need for parking it takes you where you want to go drops you off and when you need it again push a button on the phone and it's back to take you else where. Money will automatically come out of your account. On positive side you can drive drunk, just stay in back seat at mercy of ai. 

For those that don't want to give up our old clunkers I'm sure they got a plan, like must have gps tracker so smart cars can communicate better, cheaper insurance rates bla bla bla. Petroleum will probably skyrocket because it will be mostly used for farming/construction and electric shavers will be everywhere else. For some it will be best thing ever happened for others not so much. Kinda like join the club or we'll bit you over the head with it till you do join. 

Idk I could go forever on this lovely subject. If i said all this even 10 years ago you'd think I'm nuts, but it doesn't sound that crazy anymore. Been happening behind the scenes for some time now. Ok I'm leaving now :kick:

• Staff

Like to see one of these cars handle ice and snow as well as I can. Can it regain control as well as a truely experienced driver?  It may have to go 2 miles an hour, then what?

What about the snow falling itself, would it stop? What about those who escaped Paradise California fire driving thru flames? Leave you sitting there getting caught in it?

IMHO technology is going too far.

Dripley,

Now if you could have a rig that could cook up some fried chicken while driving and serve on a plate when you stop ....... Now w'ere talkin' advancement :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Dripley,

Now if you could have a rig that could cook up some fried chicken while driving and serve on a plate when you stop ....... Now w'ere talkin' advancement :thumb1:

Simple. You have chicken, you have an exhaust manifold. A little tie wire and your dinner we be ready in about 45 minutes. Of course you will have to stop once, untie and rotate the bird and re tie. I am sure you grasp the concept.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 9:29 AM, JAG1 said:

Like to see one of these cars handle ice and snow as well as I can. Can it regain control as well as a truely experienced driver?  It may have to go 2 miles an hour, then what?

What about the snow falling itself, would it stop? What about those who escaped Paradise California fire driving thru flames? Leave you sitting there getting caught in it?

IMHO technology is going too far.

Dripley,

They can handle ice and snow better than you can.  Not to say that you are a bad driver by any stretch, but sensors and computers calculating wheel slip on all 4 wheels 1000's of times a second mean it is impossible for a human to beat that.

Humans react to a slide, a computer with correct sensor data would catch the issue before the slide.   Being able to programically adjust wheel torque, per tire, based on live slip data is not something a human can compete with.

It is seriously impressive, but not new.  Land Rover has been doing this via computers and abs for years, electric motors takes that to the next level.

very similar to the f22, a human cannot react quick enough to actually fly one, the pilot tells the computer where to go, the computer flies the plane.

Your should watch videos of the current systems.  If nothing else it is impressive

• Thanks 1

• Staff

Nick, the reason I'm against all this automation, robots and automatic checkers etc. is the need for people to find a way to keep fit work hard and be proud of what they accomplish. Before you know it Michael will be able to rent a robot to cut split and stack his firewood. Me rent a robot to help grade a job or help me frame a house. If this keeps up what will average hard working folks do ?

How many lives will it cost before all computer glitches are worked out? I do like the fact that an officer will be able to stop a vehicle at anyone time, but what about when a person suddenly forgets thinking it's switched on as usual and it's not because a computer glitch caused the driver to switch it off for manual override?

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

I understand your concerns with it, I share them, but from a pure technical standpoint the computer can do some pretty incredible things.  

The telsa crashes gain a ton of news publicity, however the stats show you are SIGNIFICANTLY less likely to get in a car accident in a tesla than you are in any other brand.  

If you look purely at the numbers in america there are roughly 5.5 Million accidents per year with 32000 deaths.  NHTSA  studies have shown that a tesla with auto pilot is %40 less likely to be in a crash than a tesla without auto pilot.  the rate of deaths per mile driven is 1 death per 320 million miles with auto pilot.  NHTSA shows an average of 1 death per 80 million miles driven nation wide without automation. 

So the tesla with auto pilot has killed 4 times less people than the average car on the road per mile according to the NHTSA.   That means that RIGHT NOW you are %75 less likely to get in a car accident with a Tesla with auto pilot than your 2nd gen.  your driving skill is not important when you consider that there are other people on the roads with you.  It's not a direct apples to apples, but the numbers are impressive even it was half of that.

things like computer controlled emergency braking, lane assist, traction control, abs are all steps towards self driving.  They are widely accepted and have statistically lowered the accident rate.  

as for the jobs argument, it is widely unknown what will happen, but humans are resourceful.  Lots of people have been having these same talks through history.  I am sure there were people up in arms when the combine came into play, how many field workers lost their jobs?    industrial revolution etc etc etc.  Times change people adapt.   Now that is not to say that we should just jump in blind folded, but be aware of the argument on both sides.  

The world is up in arms over mass shootings, but when someone says " we can cut down traffic deaths by %75" everyone yells and screams.  again there are issues that need to be worked out, but it is promising.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2