• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24v vp valve cover and other ramblings

Well I'm going threw machine tool and thinking about making a 24v valve cover and am hoping if anyone has one off can I get some measurements length width height depth seal surface width ect I was talking to my instructor and he also suggested running a worm is what I known to call it along the center of the seal to make it seal better ect any thoughts and I was thinking about making a tappet cover and trans pan ect and if I made more then one any interest? 

I need the length width height from front to back and how wide the seal is how deep it is just overall messurements

The point will be for me to program the cnc at school and make something useful might as well make something I want

13 hours ago, Silverdodge said:

I need the length width height from front to back and how wide the seal is how deep it is just overall messurements

The point will be for me to program the cnc at school and make something useful might as well make something I want

You might try looking for a cad file online then writing the program for it. You will probably spend 3/4 the money it would cost to buy one on material also considering your first run goes perfectly. 

It wouldn't take you long to pull the cover off your truck, it is only a few bolts and would take just a few minutes.  That way you get the measurements that you want and know that you need. 

1 hour ago, Hawkez said:

It wouldn't take you long to pull the cover off your truck, it is only a few bolts and would take just a few minutes.  That way you get the measurements that you want and know that you need. 

I'm aware I just figured I'd see if anyone had one off 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:02 PM, Silverdodge said:

Well I'm going threw machine tool and thinking about making a 24v valve cover and am hoping if anyone has one off can I get some measurements length width height depth seal surface width ect I was talking to my instructor and he also suggested running a worm is what I known to call it along the center of the seal to make it seal better ect any thoughts and I was thinking about making a tappet cover and trans pan ect and if I made more then one any interest? 

That would be a fun project. I do CNC programming but our machines are too big for that.  Good luck.

L8tr

D

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Guys, how hard is to learn how to use one these? That is for the uneducated and inexperienced person such as myself.

It all depends on what you want to do and the complexity of it.    I think one person could pick it up real quick and the other may never get it.  I've been using computers for years (mid 80's) and mostly cadd for work.  I never did the programing until a few years ago but I pick it up pretty quickly.  3d modeling is another fun thing that I just picked up.  I think having the mindset for it helps as well.

1 hour ago, Silverdodge said:

Just need the right tooling and s-f

s-f? Please excuse my ignorance.  I would think the machines don't have the accuracy for smaller parts.  The material is held in place by vacuum.  I see parts break vacuum and fly across the building quite often.

L8tr

d

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SilverMoose said:

It all depends on what you want to do and the complexity of it.    I think one person could pick it up real quick and the other may never get it.  I've been using computers for years (mid 80's) and mostly cadd for work.  I never did the programing until a few years ago but I pick it up pretty quickly.  3d modeling is another fun thing that I just picked up.  I think having the mindset for it helps as well.

s-f? Please excuse my ignorance.  I would think the machines don't have the accuracy for smaller parts.  The material is held in place by vacuum.  I see parts break vacuum and fly across the building quite often.

L8tr

d

Ya we have vices lol bad news and speeds and feeds 

Should have known that.:doh:  That's one of my issues.  I hate watching the machine run slow.  We are able to run some things fast.  When I mill tooling projects, I'm running 300+ fpm.  The slowest I've gone to date is 50 fpm. 

L8tr

D

all good and @dripley depends on ur backround if u know hout to run bridge ports and lathes well u could manually opperate a cnc to do programing u need to understand the language ect and know what ur going do theres 1000s of ways to machine something with 100s of different tooling the possibiltys are endless now if u want to set things in vices and push buttons thats easy but making custom things or one off things is hard 

• Thanks 2