• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AC / heater on off knob

Sometimes when I turn my AC / heater on off knob on there is a delay for it to go on. Not all the time but once in awhile. Usually if its on and I turn the ignition switch on it goes on normally.

After you drive about 30 sec 1 minute or so the ac and blower will then go on

Its not the blower fan speed knob but the top on/ off knob

Anyone had this issue?

Bad blower motor resistor? pic-2009326255469799414-200x200.jpeg

Edited by GSP7

If it was a bad fuse or relay it would not work at all,  Right? Or can a Relay act up and go on and off?

It worked ok this morning when I started it.

Next time it AC/Heat on switch doesnt go on immediately I'll pop the hood and see if the ac compressor clutch is engaged

Edit: PS:  It when on OK again later this morning when I tested it. I also checked the fuse & relay under the hood and the fuse in the dash side. All OK

I read that the ' blower motor resistor ' is a common issue. What ever that's worth- Has anyone had issues with the ' blower motor resistor '?

Edited by GSP7

• Staff

The fan motor get its' power from the fuse and relay while the A/C system/compressor gets its' power from a different fuse and relay.                                                                                                      

If both the fan motor and A/C compressor are not working then I'd check their common grounding point at G 201, black/orange wire.

The fan resistor only controls the lower fan speed ground paths.  The high fan speed ground path bypasses the resistor pack goes through the fan switch and to G 201. 

If the fan works in highspeed only and not in the lower speeds it's the resistor pack.

If the fan does not work but the A/C does, check for voltage at the fan motor and the ohm test the    ground from it.  

Edited by IBMobile

All the fan speeds all work on the fan speed knob

With the top knob turned to Max AC On, Just sometimes, the blower motor doesnt go on , then it will go on after I drive about a 1/4 mile and the AC will start blowing cool air

. Im not sure if the AC is going on or if its on but just the blower isnt on yet

G201 ground (right dash center support)

Can you tell me where exactly to find the G210 ground ?

Edited by GSP7

• Owner
1 hour ago, GSP7 said:

If it was a bad fuse or relay it would not work at all,  Right?

I've seen cracked fuse work randomly. Also same goes with relays. So fuse wise I've had a starter relay fuse crack and it randomly start or not start. Same goes for the horn relay I've had it work most of the times then quit. 

39 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

I've never bothered with that ground. But the main ground for the entire dash is in the driver side kick panel.

• Staff
8 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Did you mean G 201?

11794014_Scan_20180708(2).jpg.2f6a70724c300d0c1de7e3dae49f8b93.jpg

38 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

the blower motor doesnt go on

When the blower motor doesn't go on, is that ALL fan speeds don't work or does high speed work and only high speed work?.

• Owner

Blower resistor is easy to pull out and check. If the ceramic is cracked or damaged just replace it. 

Blower relay can be tested by trading with something else. If the problem goes away then the relay was damaged.

Blower fuses can be swapped with other fuses to check for cracks or issues. 

Blower only work in high speed the resistor is damaged.

If the blower only randomly works it might be bad brushes or damaged armature.

9 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Did you mean G 201?

When the blower motor doesn't go on, is that ALL fan speeds don't work or does high speed work and only high speed work?.

When the blower motor doesn't go on nothing works. When it does go on all fan speeds work ok

I tested my truck twice today and its working OK ( AC Max on)

Couple days ago it took a couple minutes for the AC/Blower to go on after I started driving , switch ON AC Maxx. I was running some errands local

Its done this before a couple times. Just trying to figure out what is causing the delay for my AC and blower to go on

24 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Did you mean G 201?

Where did you find that picture?

Is that a image after you spend all day taking the front of your dash apart

Ive never took anything apart on my dash

4 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

OK.  So it's back to 'is the A/C inop at the same time?' and you'll only know that the next time it doesn't work. 

Ok , I will check the AC compressor clutch to see if its engaged and spinning next time it happens

• Staff
4 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Where did you find that picture?

That's page 8W-90-29 of the 2001 factory manual that I edited the pertinent diagram from.

7 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Ive never took anything apart on my dash

I've had mine apart a few times for different projects and I go to auto/truck salvage yards and do a little dismantling. 

Last Tuesday I was in 2 yards in Chula Vista and on Thursday I was scouring one in Oceanside.  

I used to go to alot of junk yards in Orange County 30+ years ago

There are no junk yards around here . I thought stupid calif shut most of the junk yards down

Edited by GSP7

35 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:nono: Mopar1973Man-> :spank:<-Dripley

I need those "junk yards" to keep my old stuff on the highway till 500k miles. 

You and me both. Plus a lot more of us. Don't think Cali likes that idea.

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

That's only 1 state out of 50 states. Screw Cally... I was smart and jumped ship from Cally to Idaho back in 1989. 

Junk yards are plentiful in NC and the rest of the SE.