• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Idle Delay Setting and Warm Up Mode Setting on the Quad

mopar440cu

Can someone please explain what the High Idle Delay Setting is used for on the Quad and Warm Up Mode Setting. I am guessing the High Idle is used possibly to help volts for accessories?? I am also guessing the Warm Up Mode lets the truck warm up if its cold outside, but does this mean if I set it to say 195 degrees the truck can not be moved until it reaches this temp?

Trying to still figure this out. Thanks for any help getting me to understand this!

To expand a little bit. 

Warm-up mode will limit the amount of power you can produce out of your truck until the engine warms up. Basically it will limit the power output to what you have for your 0 psi of boost setting across the board. When your truck warms up to your setting, it will then allow you to build more power. One of the side affects of this is that the truck will also allow the high idle to kick in as if you were in level 0. Since the trucks operating temperature is set to around 190, you are basically limiting the power that can be produced indefinitely if you set it to 195. A better setting is between 140 and 170 degrees for the warm up mode protection setting. 

High Idle (and delay) will turn on only in power level 0 or during warm-up. The delay is how long of a wait while in power level 0 or warm-up mode you have to wait after no throttle is being applied before the high idle kicks in. For example, if you first start up your truck in power level 0 and have the delay set to 30 seconds, after 30 seconds of no throttle input the truck will start to idle up to 1200 RPMs. If you then drive around in power level 0 and wait at a stop light for more than 30 seconds, the truck will also start to idle up again to 1200 RPM

• Owner

Ok. More to add to Spencer's post...

Like myself, I've got the warm-up mode set for 140*F which is more than enough. Allows me to get off OEM timing maps sooner. 

WARNING: If you have high idle flash enabled on the ECM be careful you don't enable both Quadzilla and 3 CYL at the same time. You can disable the ECM high idle by selecting MPG mode but at the same time, this will disable the PRE-heat phase of the grid heaters. This will prevent the ECM high idle from ever starting being it requires IAT temps below +32*F to start its software. 

I also use the Quadzilla high idle as well. On hot days it nice to just set level ZERO and wait the delay time and high idle kicks in instantly. The improves the compressor function and helps draw a bit more air through the condenser helping cool the cab faster. Another way to use it is having to jumpstart another vehicle you can do the same thing set Level ZERO and high idle kicks in and holds the alternator up for charging the dead vehicle. 

Like another member @AH64ID here advised me not to use the exhaust brake for warm ups. This has been found to push more carbon into the oil. Be aware that if you absolutely need that fast warm up you can use it but also be aware of the amount of carbon you'll be pushing into the oil.

Ultimately the best way to warm your Cummins up is to start it and get rolling as quickly as you safely can without making it dangerous to yourself or others. 

• 4 months later...
  • Owner

I've changed up complete since this start of this thread. 

Warm up Mode temperature - 170°F

Installed thermostat - 180°F

High idle delay - 15 seconds

Some might not think this optimal setting but allow high idle to kick back in after a shortstop somewhere in cold weather. Like my current travels going back and forth to Ontario, OR I typically stop in Weiser, ID for breakfast those days. Be there for about 45 minutes and when I come back out to fire up the engine is still plenty warm yet. But the warm-up mode kicks in and high idle engages while I wait for MoparMom to come to the truck. 

I'm waiting for serious cold weather to drop in and see if the high idle will restart if the coolant falls below the set temperature. This would be optimal for us that are in the extreme cold weather be able to gain the coolant temperature if it happens to fall below you set point and then cancel after rising above the set point again. This would actually save fuel.

• 2 months later...

O.K.  Question   I assume that the IQuad monitors the CAN BUS, are the Brake lights on the CAN BUS?  I have issues with the Automatic shifting into Reverse with the fast idle operating.  Today got the truck into reverse to back up and then it started bucking and eventually died.  So is there a way to get the high idle to turn off when driving?  Or for us Automatics to be able shift into and out of gear?

Thanks!

Michael

late trucks dont report brake engage on the canbus plug under the hood.  Early trucks do, and that is in place in the code to disable high idle.  

Does MPH read in R?  

the code is set to disable high idle if

brake engaged -early trucks

mph > 0

tps > 0

Thanks, it’s not in reverse it’s shifting into reverse at high idle.  Well I take that back it is in reverse today that I had the issue.  Normally I’ll backing out of the driveway so I look both ways and with no one coming just drop it into reverse. Today I was in a parking lot and had my foot on the brake that’s when it bucked and died.

whats Early years?  Where is the break?

Thanks. 

Michael

• 11 months later...

So I myself am trying to understand this high idle. I know what it means and how it works. I have one of your tunes that i run daily on 5 setting, Does this need to be turned down to 0 every night for high idle to be engaged in the morning? I just set my delay to 25 seconds this morning and i got high idle and I never hit the peddles for a while

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Jakez24v said:

Does this need to be turned down to 0 every night for high idle to be engaged in the morning?

Quadzilla works from the temperature setting and the time delay setting. So if the engine coolant is below say you set 170*F then it will arm the high idle. Then wait say 30 seconds to engage the high idle. 

Now the Cummins high idle will arm at temps below 170*F and engage 6 cylinder high idle if the IAT is below 32*F. Then engage 3 cylinder high idle if the IAT is below 15*F. This is of course with grid heaters running so the outside temperatures would be much colder yet. 

Hence why my high idle switch came to life... Give manual control of the high idle mode by the flick of a switch. 

Okay, So that temperature setting goes by "warm up" on the quad correct? and my IAT only reads lowest of 30 I believe no mater how cold it is in the morning, Would my truck still engage 3 cylinder say it is actually below 15 but only reads to 30?   

• Owner
26 minutes ago, Jakez24v said:

Okay, So that temperature setting goes by "warm up" on the quad correct?

Quadzilla only uses coolant. IAT is NOT used.

Cummins ECM uses both Coolant, IAT temperature and battery temperature.

27 minutes ago, Jakez24v said:

Would my truck still engage 3 cylinder say it is actually below 15 but only reads to 30?

With the high idle switch it FORCES the ECT and IAT values to...

6 CYL - 123*F coolant and 26*F IAT

3 CYL - only sets 13*F for IAT coolant is not altered.

The reason for that is the 6 CYL mode can be held forever. The 3 CYL mode should not be held being it creates upwards of 600*F pyro without an exhaust brake and well above 900*F with an exhaust brake. This will make warm up time even faster than Quadzilla can do. All safety system are still in affect. 

Movement will cancel.

throttle touched will cancel.

Excessive engine load will cancel. 

Trans in gear (Auto only) will cancel.

Brake pedal pressed will cancel.

Quadzilla just monitors the engine coolant... If below you set number it will ramp up to 1,200 RPM. That all. 

(2002 Dodge Ram)

Movement will cancel.

Throttle will cancel. 

• Owner

As for the Quadzilla it locks the MAX fuel to 0 PSI boost value in the tune. Then once the Coolant rises above the set temperature then the entire fuel table is enabled. This always you to drive with the warm up mode and keeping the fuel limited till the engine is warmed up to the set value.

WARNING: Do not use both the Cummins high idle and Quadzilla high idle together. The 3 CYL mode will cause serious issues and possibly lose prime on the injection pump. 

Like myself once down to closer to 0*F I disable the Quadzilla and use the Cummins ECM high idle. This prevents the clash of the two different softwares and possibly losing prime on the injection pump. 

I use the Quad for high idle.  My settings are Screenshot_20200109-073909.png.0d4bb8d7815d1bcf6e2220d60d50ac46.png

So the truck will stay Lvl 0 (Stock) till 170F and the high idle won't kick in for 120 seconds.  For the quad to engage high idle it has to be at Lvl 0.  If I'm going to be parked somewhere and leave the truck on I can set the Quad to Lvl 0 and after 2 mins the high idle will kick in even though the coolant temp may be we over 170F.