• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey everybody

Nathans24v

I have a problem I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24v three-quarter ton long bed 5 speed 4 wheel drive and the RPMs and everything worked perfectly fine until about 5th gear it starts surging between 65 and 70 miles an hour and I'm trying to find out why

Edited by Nathans24v

No codes. Havent bought any gauges yet. Plan on getting some boost, fuel don't know about the third one yet.

Only thing I've done is change the hx 35 for a hx 40. But I'm about to change that cause the exhaust housing is too big and laggy on shifts.

Edited by JAG1

I would be interested to know what your fuel pressure is doing.  Do you have a stock lift pump?

Are you checking codes with the key trick or using a type of code reader?  If it is the key trick, I would look into a code reader to verify that there are no codes. 

Testing for AC noise like suggested above is quick and easy.

• Like 1

• Staff

Are you confusing a Bosch injection pump with the lift pump? They are two separate parts on the fuel system. The lift pump keeps the injection pump fed. Sometimes called the fuel transfer pump, it can go out, but the truck still runs because the injection pump can pull enough fuel on its own, This eventually kills the injection pump by starvation, not having enough fuel pressure to lube and keep it cool. Any fuel pressure under 14 p.s.i causes an accelerated wear or damage to the injection pump. 

First item is to get a fuel pressure gauge and a 1/2 inch fuel line kit with a good lift pump.  

BTW, Welcome to the forum.... all great folks around these parts :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1