• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

blew out both rear wheel cylinders

Well today was amazing i had to stop real quick in the traffic circle this afternoon and blam_o there goes both rear cylinders....

Ordered all the parts new cables, springs cylinders drums and shoes.  Only thing is which shoe goes forwards? Short  or long? Reason im asking cause both drums were a p.i.t.a to get off, but i see short going forwards. Also i wasnt too impressed with the shop who last did them. They twisted my right front caliper hose causing failure. Said it wasnt their fault. So now i question their work.  Kinda a 911. Would really like to not have to get a ride in in am.

Guest 04Mach1

@Royal Squire is correct. The short (primary) shoe goes on the front. The long (secondary) shoe goes on the rear. Make sure the self adjusters aren't seized and installed correctly on the correct sides. I usually replace the adjusters when I do a brake job.

• 2 months later...

Thank you MoparMan ? and Bob.

again Great feedback that will help many I suppose.

And a add on to the Emergency Brake Cable, in the last forty years I have replaced a few dozen and what I do every time is this but I am a bit particular and only need to replace my cables once, so far.

I learned this from my dad on his Packard.

( I will get my pictures and post a topic )

I heat up a cup of gear oil.

I put the cable through the corner of some ziplock bag and rubber band it tight to the end connector.

i hang the cable and the bag so it cannot spill and I pour the oil in and wait. Usually moving and spinning the cable occasionally. 

Most of the time it comes out the other end in not too much time.

If I leave it overnight it always works, I back blow it with air getting little out. I HAVE NEVER SEEN any oil leak to the drum that was more than dried by the dust. 

Just a trick if you intend on keeping your stuff for the long haul. 

Tom

Someday I should do the rear wheel cyl upgrade to chevy type.

I assume the piston is larger diameter?

Any one know both stock and chevy piston diameter sizes ?  For comparison?

Do the chevys have the exact same cast diameter that fits in the backing plate hole so it fits tight? Maybe a illusion ,but the chevy looks smaller diameter step that goes into the hole in the backing plate

1000182u.jpg

1000181o.jpg

Edited by GSP7