• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Overdrive Problems - Vibration / Lots of Black Smoke / High EGT / Sluggish

Hi all,

Started noticing a problem with my truck when it shifts into overdrive. Driving down the road, truck shifts through the gears normal kicks into overdrive and then starts acting differently. 

It will cruise fine under light throttle... as soon as I give it throttle, it responds very sluggishly, starts throwing consistent black smoke, the EGT's will jump up, and the truck is vibrating. It will continue to do this until it really gets up and going, or if I let off the throttle. 

It really is a pain because the truck drives in overdrive a lot on the 35-50mph roads around here.

This has just started happening and seems to be getting slightly worse.

Any ideas/help as to a diagnosis or where to start looking?

As always thank you in advance for any help.

- FYI...recently put a new turbo in the truck which is considered a slight upgrade I believe with the 59mm inducer.

- Edge Juice with attitude, fass150, 4'' turbo back exhaust, BHAF

• Owner

What size tires?

What gear ratio?

Any boost leaks?

Could you get us more specs on the turbo? Typically most report the 3 numbers (54/60/12) 54mm compressor wheel, 60mm turbine wheel, and 12cm2 exhaust housing.

What level and sublevel are you running?

What size injectors are you running?

Just looking again you might look at the TV cable adjustment.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
38 minutes ago, NormaNator08 said:

Not sure what our mean about sub level?

Edge Products work on two settings. Main level which you see on the main screen. The second number is the sublevel it called something different on the Juice. But it in the menu for how aggressive the fueling occurs. 

Main Level

1. 40 HP
  2. 60 HP
  3. 80 HP
  4. 100 HP
  5. 120 HP

Sub level wise is how much boost is required to unlock the fuel. 

Does it act like it double shifts ever?  If so I'm kinda with Mike and check the TV cable my brand new trans started acting funny literally last week, do to warranty I took it right to the shop. They found my return spring had broke on the tv cable.

Symptoms it fixed

random unlocking of converter over 60mph 

Heavy black smoke from stop, never seen it this bad sorta smoke

Double shift in 1st

Random shutters at 55mph and above

Hope this helps

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

Well as an update... I took the truck to a local diesel shop, they test drove it and said they could find nothing out of the ordinary with the truck. In fact, they said it was one of the nicest/best handling 2nd gens they have seen.

I laughed and said, "As stupid as this sounds, I know the truck is acting different, and I am still unsure and want you to find something."

They had the owner drive it next and again said everything checked out normal. I am guessing with the slight upgrade in turbo I am just going to have to get used to the black smoke until the turbo really gets spooled. As far as the slight vibration in overdrive, still scratching my head but again they said nothing out of the ordinary.

These guys could have easily "diagnosed" something wrong that wasn't, but instead took great care of me. 

• Owner

2002 Ram 2500 110k, Edge Juice With Attitude, 4'' MBRP Exhaust, BHAF, FASS150, 3rd Gen Wheels

Time to ditch the Edge juice and replace it with a Quadzilla. Way better fuel to boost management. You can set all your fuel rates from 0 PSI all the way to 30 PSI (plus) boost. Then you can cut fuel rates BELOW stock value which an Edge Juice can't do. Not even my Edge Comp could do as good as the Quadzilla.