• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thread size of trans temp probe

Youngblood24v

• Staff

Are you near a hardware store where you can bring it down and thread it into the template for bolt sizes and threads? I say this because even the best of us can make a mistake and be wrong.

55 minutes ago, Youngblood24v said:

Where would you recommend? I assume you mean so that it doesn’t hit anything internally 

That and I guess there are hotter spots then others, I don't know for sure but I heard that. Just didn't want you to put a hole in a wrong place. 

• Owner

Now @Dynamic showed me a spot in the rear of the pan which is near the OEM sensor and shows a close to right value. I've not move there yet. I need to drill and weld in the bung yet. Low on my priority list right now. The hot line shows while it running but can be affected by road condition like excessive snow, slush, or excessive water spray on the line. You may need to insulate the line to keep a good reading. 

With that aluminum pan, just drill and tap it for the sender. Most senders are 1/8-27 NPT.

With a stock pan, any steel weld-in 1/8-27 NPT bung will work, and anywhere that there's room for it so that the sender does not interfere with anything inside. There's plenty of room in the back.

I prefer a transmission temp reading come from the pan. The fluid in the pan is pretty active, so fluid temp throughout the pan will be pretty consistent.

• Thanks 3

I've been doing a TON of testing and R&D on transmission cooling systems this spring and summer (particularly on 3rd Gen trucks), with some interesting results. The short story is: guys with any kind of temperature monitor system that uses information from the OE temp sensor in the transducer, you are really going to want to verify that your temp reading is correct. I guess more appropriately stated, I would do my best to quantify just how far off your reading is. I have been seeing some enormous discrepancies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1