• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

This site rules! VGT troubleshooting

I know some of you may sigh reading the post subject and I really have worked hard to study up on eb vgt function trying to troubleshoot my new truck purchase. 

Yeah, I am selling my awesome 02 6 speed that I love for the very powerful/comfortable 6.7 mega cab. My entire family has thanked me for easier travel when camper pulling but I’m chasing down a no eb condition. 

Me7....has put a great article out on calibrating vgt so I am now getting the confidence to proceed with pulling off actuator and check for manual actuation to see if things are bound up. Here is how I’ve arrive at this juncture. 

-no eb function at time of purchase

-perform service on overhead pops up, did ccv delete and cleared that issue but cc pressure code still shows up on H&S. People tell me this is expect on early 6.7 with H&S. (Unrelated to eb not working I know)

-then I pulled back pressure line and sensor for cleaning, still no ebp reading

returned truck to stock and found the code lit for ebp sensor bad. 

-dropped $102 for replacement sensor and now ebp sensor works.  Still no brake. 

-considering the set up to calibrate vgt so I can pull actuator and check sector gear function. If locked up, I’ll tear down for rebuild.

-this should confirm if actuator works vs nozzle ring locked up correct?

any other suggestions beside a new upgraded turbo? I want eb function for camper towing. Thanks smart cummins people! 

Great write up man! I was just having a conversation with a local diesel buddy about buying the snapon tool and we discussed autoengenuity capabilities and so I did a quick search in the tool to do this and it led me right back to this site and your write up! I will do just that! Thanks! This 3rd gen 6.7 has been a learning experience w this turbo. I should have studied that vgt prior to my purchase. Might have led me another direction on a purchase after seeing remand actuators for $1200 and full vgt replacement with eb for $2300! Ouch! 

1 minute ago, woodtrucker said:

Great write up man! I was just having a conversation with a local diesel buddy about buying the snapon tool and we discussed autoengenuity capabilities and so I did a quick search in the tool to do this and it led me right back to this site and your write up! I will do just that! Thanks! This 3rd gen 6.7 has been a learning experience w this turbo. I should have studied that vgt prior to my purchase. Might have led me another direction on a purchase after seeing remand actuators for $1200 and full vgt replacement with eb for $2300! Ouch! 

Now you have to change your signature.

Edited by dripley

II know. I’m crazy for doing it I’m sure and my wallet will not like this. Heck my wallet already doesn’t like it. Dropped almost $500 so far and have this near mint 02 6 speed sitting in yard for sale that needs nothing! I hope someone will tell me I’m not making a big mistake on this 6.7. It sure is an awesome truck that suites a family of 5 much better than the old faithful! 

4 hours ago, woodtrucker said:

II know. I’m crazy for doing it I’m sure and my wallet will not like this. Heck my wallet already doesn’t like it. Dropped almost $500 so far and have this near mint 02 6 speed sitting in yard for sale that needs nothing! I hope someone will tell me I’m not making a big mistake on this 6.7. It sure is an awesome truck that suites a family of 5 much better than the old faithful! 

How much are asking for the 02?

I have standing offer for $20500. I have it going by on eBay for $21900. If I got an offer for $21 this week it would be gone. 

Search blacksburg,va cl. I have pics and two links to a start up and an idle video there. I have about  90% confidence on the buyer and it will be gone next Monday for $20500 if not sooner. Clean and tight and steering is tight considering it’s all stock front end. From 84k to 115k has nearly been all highway except for crawling into my preachers 150 acre farm to fetch firewood. 

There is a PID for commanded position along with actual position, you should be able to compare.    

if (ID == StatusMessageID) {

VgtCommandPosition = ((data[6] * 256) + data[5]);
      VgtRealPosition = ((data[2] * 256) + data[1]);
      VgtMotorCommandSpeed = data[7] - 127;
      VgtRawTemp = data[3];
      MessageRecieved = true;

The tool I built compares the two for error % and then resets if need be.  

Edited by Me78569

• 3 weeks later...

despite my efforts (with your help) to try and communicate with my turbo, I have still not been able to calibrate turbo. 

I get key on key off actuation, I get good back pressure numbers during a 10k lb haul for 1.5 hours, and no codes, excessive smoke or anything so, my plan is to go ahead with asking the dealer on Tuesday to try and calibrate a “pre-aligned” turbo actuator and try to confirm it is operating. If that is confirmed, then I’ll ask them to look at ecm to see if there really is a setting that could be disabling the ecm from sending the exhaust brake command. I hope it’s just a simple calibration issue. It would make most sense if so. 

Should I return truck to stock with all the egr codes showing to have the dealer look at it? Or would leaving it tuned be ok? 

• 1 month later...

Just as a follow up. I did take to my local dealer where I knew someone and ask them to only look at ecm and sure enough a reflash took care of the exhaust brake issue. Just wanted to follow up in case others have this problem! If you've ruled out ebp sensor, ebp tube clog, actuator calibration issues, & fuses/wiring issues, then you might have a dealer look at a reflash. Only costed me $45 at my dealer for them to reflash. I was relieved to not only have it fixed but also not to have to pay an arm and a leg to fix! 

• Like 1