• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Drain plug for auto transmission, where to put it?

I'm going to install a drain plug in the transmission pan of my truck.  I'm going to use the drain plug for my temp gauge also.   Where in the pan is the best place to put it so it doesn't interfere with anything.

Bob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I cut in half a pipe female to female coupling 1/8 NPT and used a mig to weld it to the front drivers side of the pan, lower part of the pan.  The pan is thick enough metal that you don't need to worry about warping, at least with a mig.  I don't know if this is the best place but it seems to work well for me.

Edited by bcbigfoot

Opps just noticed this is in the 12v powertrain forum, is the 47rh pan the same as the 47re.   I also see that both plugs were gas welded in with brass, I must have confused the installation of these plugs with the one I installed in my Dakota, which was welded in using a mig.

DSC05640.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the RH and RE pans are the same. And im even using the deep pan kit for a 727 on my 47RE. The 48 also shares this gasket.

carquest sells a drain plug kit that you dont have to weld in if thats an issue for anyone

Edited by 2000Ram2500
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...