• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Auto trans slipping

1998 24v 47re trans. 100k miles on the clock. Edge EZ, bhaf, and exhaust. 

I am having some slipping which which I notice when I roll on the throttle at highway speeds in overdrive with the TC locked up. I was convinced it was pushing through the lockup clutch and I was about ready to order a TC and valvebody. Now I’m not 100% convinced that will solve my issue and thinking maybe it’s my overdrive gear that’s slipping?? Is it common for overdrive to slip in these trans? I can turn off OD but then I have trouble even telling if and/or when the TC even locks up. Does anyone have any tips on how to really narrow it down? 

I am mostly worried that I will spend $2k on a TC and valvebody, do all the work to swap them out and then still be right where I started. I suppose that’s just the chance I take without fully building the trans. In theory it should be in good shape with low mileage and it has had a really easy, low effort life thus far. 

1 hour ago, Dmaney said:

What's your trans fluid look like? Any discoloration or burnt smell?

Fluid seems good 

1 hour ago, CTcummins24V said:

Take your truck for a drive on a 50mph road with a hill. You should be able to feel 2nd, 3rd and then 3rd lock up with OD off. You should take off when the TC locks. Then climb a hill in lock up. 

I’ll give that a try thanks

Thanks everyone I think I can be fairly positive it’s running through the converter. In 3rd lockup when rolling on the throttle the rpms will flare right up as soon as the turbo lights but wheel speed doesn’t follow suit. 

@DynamicI was planning to go with the DPC triple disk and your towing VB. Anything else that’s considered a must do without actually tearing the trans apart? The only future plans for the truck are possibly some injectors in the 60hp range. It’s my DD and I tow either a 3000lb boat or 25’ travel trailer.