• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47RE Transmission - Want to service&install drain plug

Want to service my 47RE Auto Transmission and install a drain plug on the pan.

B&M advertises a plug, but I have read they can/will leak.

Are there any other options for a retrofit plug? 

If someone has done this job, what is the best location for the plug?

Also, if there is Go-By article, would someone please point me to it?

Thanks.

Leaky

Im pleased with my large pan from geno's.  Probably not the cheapest.  Temp probe screwed right in and takes longer to get up to higher temps and cools down faster.  Operating temps on flat road I wonder sometimes if gauge is working.  Overall pleased with spending that amount on piece of alum, now but not at the time of being separating from $$$.

Maintenance owners manual conflicts itself if you read in the towing section then look at maintenance schedule.  Brought to my attention by Cummins engineer that said his team told Chrysler but nothing ever happened.  

7 hours ago, 015point9 said:

Im pleased with my large pan from geno's.  Probably not the cheapest.  Temp probe screwed right in and takes longer to get up to higher temps and cools down faster.  Operating temps on flat road I wonder sometimes if gauge is working.  Overall pleased with spending that amount on piece of alum, now but not at the time of being separating from $$$.

Maintenance owners manual conflicts itself if you read in the towing section then look at maintenance schedule.  Brought to my attention by Cummins engineer that said his team told Chrysler but nothing ever happened.  

The owners manual was no where to be found when I got the truck. Would you explain the conflict between it and maintenance please. Thanks. Leaky

Add-on drain plugs are notorious for leaking as they age.

I would strongly consider a deep aluminum pan as an upgrade. You get extra fluid capacity and a drain plug, but the biggest benefit is that they strengthen the transmission case by a significant amount. Shop around. There are some pretty good pans out there for a decent price.

• Like 2

• Staff

I like my Mag Hytech aluminum pan a lot, Except when Source Auto serviced the trans it leaks. Never did before when I had them put the pan on there originally. I think you can reuse the pan gasket on the Mag Hytech.

22 hours ago, Leaky88 said:

The owners manual was no where to be found when I got the truck. Would you explain the conflict between it and maintenance please. Thanks. Leaky

In this case you might have been better off not following or not having an owners manual. 

What I do is change trans fluid every 30,000 miles and when checking your trans level give it a smell, and if fluid smells burned and/or color is no longer red something might be going on.    And of course watch the trans temps.

Owner’s manual (part number 81-326-1024) and  was told there are different editions.   In different editions the errors were either corrected from previous editions and/or new items listed that weren’t in different editions.  All this was pointed out by a retired Cummins engineer that just walked up to us one day at a campground, we got talking. I kept pouring coffee.  He talked about his career with Cummins. And the "fun" little fights Cummins and Chrysler used to get into.  Here is what he pointed out in my owner’s manual concerning the trans.   There a quite a few errors in manual, I can only remember a few that he talked about.  On the trans he said there was a big disconnect between Chrysler and printer and bean counters.   Dodge told Cummins guys trans is not their product so don't get involved. 

(OK right out of manual) On page 173   If your vehicle has an automatic transmission and you tow a trailer frequently, change transmission fluid and filter every 12,000 miles (19,000km)

Then on page 230   A band adjustment and filter change should be made at the time of the oil change. The fluid and filter should be changed and the bands adjusted as specified in the Maintenance schedule (section 8).  Vehicles having severe usage should have the fluid changed twice as frequently.

Ok lets look at section 8 which on to page 259  in Maintenance schedule “B”

Nothing is listed at 12,000 miles.  But remember on page 173 it said to “change transmission fluid and filter every 12,000 miles (19,000km). 

On to page 260…at 30,000 service…  is the first listing of …..drain and refill automatic trans fluid..  Replace filter and adjust bands.

There doesn’t leave a few questions, as in what are they talking about?  And this quoted right out of manual. 

In all I spent about 6 hours talking with him and we kept contact for couple years but one time he respond saying no more e-mail and to use facebook.  Well I don’t face book.  I think there might be a face book page for retired Cummins guys “BS” on?.  

Edited by 015point9
more info
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaky88 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/618-47RE-48RE-DOUBLE-DEEP-TRANSMISSION-PAN-DODGE-RAM-DIESEL-FINNED-ALUMINUM/122550087123

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this vendor and type of aftermarket pan please?

Thanks Leaky

I use them all the time. It's a good, well built and well machined pan...and made in the good ol' USA. I bundle them with all of my builds now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dynamic said:

I use them all the time. It's a good, well built and well machined pan...and made in the good ol' USA. I bundle them with all of my builds now.

What about the pan magnet with an aluminum pan?  Think I need to get one of these or similar.  I don't see what brand or who makes this one.

Edited by Russ Roth

That I knew but I was thinking about the big doughnut magnet.  Tony always said these trannys made a lot of magnetic dust when first built and the drain magnet is mighty small.  That's all mine has so should a guy pull it occasionally to clean it off?  I have only had it out once since you did it for me.  Changing pans would give a really good excuse now wouldn't it?   I would have to check for miles.  Hope you are doing well.  Was hoping to get your way this summer and dropping by but I can see that is not gonna happen.  =(

You can put a big doughnut magnet in the bottom of an aluminum pan if you want, but it obviously won't "stick" to the pan and might have a tendency to wander around in there. The 4 speed Dodges do generate a lot of trash as they break in, but once broken in, they operate fairly clean and the magnet on the drain plug should suffice...your call on that one.

All is well here, and busier than ever! Enjoying the summer as much as possible!

• Haha 1

• Owner
1 minute ago, Dynamic said:

The 4 speed Dodges do generate a lot of trash as they break in, but once broken in, they operate fairly clean and the magnet on the drain plug should suffice

Yeah, I saw the same thing during the 46RE break-in period there was a small amount of debris in the bottom of the pan stuck to the magnet. You could epoxy the magnet to the bottom but that will make for a PITA to clean later. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dynamic said:

You can put a big doughnut magnet in the bottom of an aluminum pan if you want, but it obviously won't "stick" to the pan and might have a tendency to wander around in there. The 4 speed Dodges do generate a lot of trash as they break in, but once broken in, they operate fairly clean and the magnet on the drain plug should suffice...your call on that one.

All is well here, and busier than ever! Enjoying the summer as much as possible!

Glad to hear you and family are doing well.  Maybe next summer things will be caught up and my brother and I can make a trip over there.  His son lives over somewhere in the vicinity and runs one of those windmills. 

I will likely pull the pan and change to an aluminum one since it adds strength to the case and I can change filter and put a bigger magnet in at that time.  Where would one get one of the magnets like that since I think we lost track of mine somewhere along the line?  I am guessing it will not really be an issue floating around inside?

image.png

Not sure how the KTA 600 picture got on there but it shows the location of virtually all the class 8 pyro probes in at least the last 20 or more years.  Prior to that they were pre turbo and although rare occasionally cost an engine. 

Edited by Russ Roth

• 4 months later...