• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rattlesnake Fire, Idaho - 2018

• Owner
8 hours ago, KATOOM said:

They're claiming that all the burnt material is dangerous and must be cleaned up following hazmat guidelines.  You all know what that means...

They are retards... I've been going out and getting burnt trees for over 15 years now. I've got a trailer load of red fir that is burnt right now. 

20180629_160021.jpg

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

you would think after few rain events when they actually get there it wouldn't matter, and nature will always heal itself.

Good Lord states, "You can create nor destroy anything". All you dealing with is a solid form or carbon. Living or dead in a tree. Then when you burn it carbon is released as CO2 . Funny part just talking the fire science guys on the Rattlesnake fire he was telling me that the amount of emissions from a single wildland fire produces more than my truck will in it's "ENTIRE LIFE" in ONE HOUR! EPA worried about smog controls on vehicle why not get these fires out quit choking me with smoke for the last 2 week. I'll have to post a picture of the even time smoke levels. (Ugh)

• Like 2

• Owner
On 7/28/2018 at 10:39 AM, AH64ID said:

t's been 30 years since the 1988 fire of Yellowstone that showed us how bad our policy on fire fighting was. Up until that fire we put every fire out as fast as we could, which meant the fuels built up instead of burned up

Flip side...

Out here it was commonplace to have cattle and sheep grazing out here controlling the fuel levels. Now sheep are illegal and cattle are limited to certain areas and times are shortened in some areas. So the amount of fuel are higher than normal now. Back in the 90's it was commonplace to see cows come creeping down the mountain behind the house or find the milling around the irrigation dam getting water. Nope... Just before the fire the grasses where over 4 foot tall back there and dry as a bone.

Then talking to older loggers. It was commonplace to selective logging and keeping the lands cleaner. Now it turn it to more wilderness areas and more roads locked up and closed. Access to keeping the lands cleaned up is limited so USFS (Forest Circus) has figured just let it burn. We have had fires burning up here since MARCH! Yeap... USFS start control burns in March/April. Very rare anymore to see a clear blue sky.

7 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Not to change the subject........Are you concerned about a mudslide? I think your soil is very sandy and lets water soak in rapidly. 

No. Nothing burned directly behind the house. Now 100-150 feet above the house on the road above that is another issue. Being that up there has always moved. It very possible for the road to have issues with mudslides. This would land on the neighbor's lap.

• Like 1

USFS (forest circus) has miss managed the forest since 1936, just worse now. No grazing, no selective timber removal, nothing. When the do cut, they do extensive environmental studies that cost more than the tree cutting. Then they say it costs so much to do the study, they don't have the funds to authorize any future cutting. If they do authorize grazing, there are more rangers assigned to moniter the grazing than their are cattle.

• Like 1

• Owner
12 minutes ago, oldbeek said:

they do extensive environmental studies that cost more than the tree cutting.

Just like the extensive studies of prescribed burning. Then the burn typically gets out of control to some extent and typically burns more ground than expected, end up crowning and taking out a few trees, or just be plain annoying by flooding the valleys with smoke and making it difficult to breathe or work.

Personally, this Forest Circus folks and their studies are an outright joke. Wish good ol' Trump would clean this part of the swamp out next because there is a lot of wasteful spending here. 

Another secret I know. When I mentioned road closing and such. There is a trick to this. Now if USFS (Forest Circus) closes a road by goat hump, gate or any means to prevent travel. What they are supposed to do is remove that road and the funds are reduced. They are not removing the roads from the maintenance list and continue to collect funds for all road and pocket the money for their little studies and other wasteful spending.

I'm sure some of the smoke jumpers that jump in on this fire and the equipment I'm sure there will be a pit dug and bunch of stuff buried like usual. (More Forest Circus Waste). 

• Like 1

• Staff

up in the national forest I turned up a road to find a place to park and sleep for the nite. They stick a road closure sign almost a mile in where you can't find a place to turn around without a half mile of backing up in the dark. One side steep enough to roll the truck off the road. Really smart! Why can't they simply put a road closed sign down near the highway?

Edited by JAG1

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Flip side...

Out here it was commonplace to have cattle and sheep grazing out here controlling the fuel levels. Now sheep are illegal and cattle are limited to certain areas and times are shortened in some areas. So the amount of fuel are higher than normal now. Back in the 90's it was commonplace to see cows come creeping down the mountain behind the house or find the milling around the irrigation dam getting water. Nope... Just before the fire the grasses where over 4 foot tall back there and dry as a bone.

Then talking to older loggers. It was commonplace to selective logging and keeping the lands cleaner. Now it turn it to more wilderness areas and more roads locked up and closed. Access to keeping the lands cleaned up is limited so USFS (Forest Circus) has figured just let it burn. We have had fires burning up here since MARCH! Yeap... USFS start control burns in March/April. Very rare anymore to see a clear blue sky.

No. Nothing burned directly behind the house. Now 100-150 feet above the house on the road above that is another issue. Being that up there has always moved. It very possible for the road to have issues with mudslides. This would land on the neighbor's lap.

You are right on with this.  I wasn’t going to chime in because it will get political but I can’t help it.  In my opinion the increased numbers and severity of fires year after year is all because of a political/environmental agenda that is failing miserably and they won’t own up to it.  The environmental extremists in this country have a stranglehold on government through a tactic known as sue and settle.  They have been locking up public land and pushing for more and more wilderness for decades and continue to do so in the name of saving some endangered anything.  Why?  It’s all about money they rake in from tax payer funded grant money for “research”.  The Center for Biological Diversity is the largest culprit in doing this.  They grossly manipulate the endangered species act in order to accomplish this.   Our wildlands burn up every year because more and more ground is locked away from public access with roads being destroyed not just gated and locked.  You cannot access the land to fight the fires and more of it is allowed to grow unchecked creating more and more fuel.  Then when it burns up they conveniently blame “climate change” instead of pointing the finger of blame on themselves.  In their attempt to save everything they are killing it.  

Sorry for my rant.  That’s why i didn’t want to chime in.

Edited by WesHawkins
Addition.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

On the money.

Smoke got so bad today I shutdown from work shortly after 2pm.

20180808_195855.jpg

We were just up there in June and it was beautiful.  Next year I’m going stop in and say hi.  We’re burning up here in California too.  The Carr Fire up at Redding was started by someone pulling a trailer with a flat tire causing sparks. Officials haven’t reported yet what’s started all the other fires in the state.

You almost hate for summer to arrive anymore.

53 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Welcome to stop in. Just go to the bottom of the page and hit Contact Us link. Directions are included. Just give me a call.

Will do.   Sometime in the Month of June next year.

• Staff

That so bad. anyone follow the trail left by the fire bug. I hope they catch them whoever it was.

11 hours ago, WesHawkins said:

Yes they are.  Almost makes you wish summer wouldn’t come.

Can't wait for summer to be over with the smoke and the record heat, record number of fires.

• Owner

We are under a "Stage 2" evacuation order now. After yesterday's 105 to 110*F temperatures, RH of 15% the fire broke free and made a good run. It continues to run south along the ridge going towards Boulder Creek and Hillman Basin. Smoke is still nasty here and makes for horrid days of being trapped inside all the time.

• Sad 1

I believe they caught the arson who started the Mendocino (Ranch) fire, 260,000 acres, with its neighboring Mendocino (River) fire, 50,000.  I thought the number of homes lost was over 2000...

The Carr fire up by Redding is 182,000 acres and I thought something like 1000+ homes lost.  Both are so big that the smoke has finally reached New York.

And none of this crap is looking promising to stop.  Oh, and there's more fires cropping up in the state too. :ahhh:

Edited by KATOOM
  • Sad 1

• Owner

Where is the EPA now? These fires are pumping out more CO2 and other emissions that my truck does in one hour. Why isn't the EPA charging the USFS for carbon credits? Why just pick on the little people why not pick on the very same federal government that creates these BS laws and guidelines.

Make you think... :think:

1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

Both are so big that the smoke has finally reached New York.

Funny, I just heard this over the radio here at Sorbenot's Coffee shop here in Ontario, OR. Scary... :duh:

• Like 1